11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRoman1

TheRoman1

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:57 AM

Just read a topic on the Bird forum about ageing doves and I never cease to be amazed at the kinds of "dirty" things that people do with meat. All the stories about hanging meat until the butt drops out and wiping mold off birds left hanging for ten days: I'd be totally willing to try such techniques but are they safe? I would imagine the bacteria that develops on such meat would be stomach-destroying, no?With a pheasant I recently caught I did the following: 1) gutted him in the field and put him in a cold chest 2) day after next defeathered using hot water to loosen them; lots of cold water rinsing 3) soaked over night in salt water 4) dried off and let sit for two days in the fridge on a towel in a covered bowl 5) froze himHow does that sound? Was I too cautious with the meat? Should I just let the bird hang or sit in the fridge still covered in pieces of blood and dirt for a few days without worry? I'm organizing a small feast with my game and I want to make sure I'm not feeding people tough meat.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

I do they same as you do with birds but I usually skin the bird as soon as I get home. For jack rabbits I usually let them soak in the salt brine a few days then I freeze them in the same brine. I let them stay frozen for at least a few days then I let them defrost in the fridge rinse the meat off and cook. I have heard of people hanging deer for 10 days in the garage and then you cut the excess mold off it supposed to taste great. I am happy with my meat aging in the fridge from 3 to 10 day in the fridge. There is no mold growth on my meat and I am happy with it. I work too hard to get my fresh meat, I would hate to lose meat due to mold or bacteria. Just my 2 cents.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

We used to have our deer hang at the locker for 30 days. In meat, green is good. My grandparents used to have a butcher shop. The best steaks were the green ones. Scrape off the green, cook it and eat. Wild game is much safer than anything you can buy in the store. At least you know who handled it and under what conditions.

#4 TheRoman1

TheRoman1

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

We used to have our deer hang at the locker for 30 days.

OK, you must meen you kept it in a COLD locker, right? I can't imagine you let meat hang in the daytime air for 30 days. That seems to defy everything I've ever known about safety. Does the cooking kill whatever bad bacteria grow in there? Maybe I should let my meat sit in the fridge for long periods of time, then. Is moisture bad or should I seal it in a plastic bag?

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Yes, refrigerated. I wouldn't hang any meat out that wasn't in some sort of refrigeration.

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Had a friend that left his venison in a cool frig until it was green & slimy. Then scrape the mold off, package & freeze. Learned the process from his family. :smiley_green_with_envy: :)

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

This is what I been told cold bacteria and other slime is ok :signlol2iu: worm or hot bacteria and slime bad. :signlol2iu: I might not clean a small bird right away but I do keep it COLD. not into aging meat , for one thing no place to keep it . For fish clean and cool ASP. This reminds me of what I seen on tv about eating some kind of chees that was not ready till it had maggots on it they ate maggots and all :) :signlol2iu: :signlol2iu: :signlol2iu: think it was in spain or france.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yeah the best one is the Icelanders letting shark meat rot in the ground for months at a time... to let the urea seep out. This is actually a delicacy Tried to order some and it costs like $100 an oz!!! And couldn't because the US customs wouln't alloy this kind of product.Maybe I need to fish my own shark and do that and see how it tastes... apparently it has to age just like wine does :crazy:

#9 TonyS

TonyS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

As I said in a previous post, I just ate a pheasant I shot 5 days ago and skinned and cleaned and put in the frig. Next time I will let it set a full 7 days before cooking. Sure had alot more flavor than ones I shot and ate that day.As for shark, make sure while it is still alive that you bleed it. That is where the urea taste comes from and there really isn't an excuse for doing that to yourself or others. Then keep it cool. I prefer shark over any other game fish and that includes wahoo, tuna or swordies.

#10 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Yeah the best one is the Icelanders letting shark meat rot in the ground for months at a time... to let the urea seep out. This is actually a delicacy Tried to order some and it costs like $100 an oz!!! And couldn't because the US customs wouln't alloy this kind of product.Maybe I need to fish my own shark and do that and see how it tastes... apparently it has to age just like wine does :hellohello9il:

Sounds a bit like lutefisk (something you should never, ever try IMO).

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

I know it will gross for some people, but in my experience your best tasting red meat is served right before it is rotten. :good: is right. But cut off the mold and cook it, if it smells good eat it, it will be tender and delicious. I heard that Peking Duck was not ready to cook until the bird fell off of the beak that it was hanging by.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

As I said in a previous post, I just ate a pheasant I shot 5 days ago and skinned and cleaned and put in the frig. Next time I will let it set a full 7 days before cooking. Sure had alot more flavor than ones I shot and ate that day.As for shark, make sure while it is still alive that you bleed it. That is where the urea taste comes from and there really isn't an excuse for doing that to yourself or others. Then keep it cool. I prefer shark over any other game fish and that includes wahoo, tuna or swordies.

He's right! Pop a gill and let it bleed out, cut (do not rinse with freshwater) and bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users