2 replies to this topic

#1 TheRoman1

TheRoman1

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

So perhpas I drempt it but I have this image in my mind of reading somewhere that on the DFG Pheasant hunts one is not allowed to use "magnum" shot loads. I haven't been able to find where I read this and I'm beginning to wonder if I in fact never did.Anyway, is there a "magnum" type of shotgun shell? If so, what is it? I have some basic, size-4 shot for birds with a long, brass cap that is longer than some of the really short caps I've seen on shells filled with ssize 8-6 pellets in them. Does magnum refer to the length of this brass cap?

#2 Chris M

Chris M

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Cars & Trucks, Audio/Video, Computers.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

At least in 12 and 20 ga, 3" shells are Magnum, 3.5" shells are super-magnum. I'm no pheasant hunter, but I've never heard of not being able to use magnum loads.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

Sometimes on the box where it says "Drams Eq." it will say MAG but it seems like most of the magnum duck loads I use just say MAX nowadays. You might check to see if steel shot is mandatory. Sometimes when the DFG puts on a pheasant hunt in a wetland area they'll require the use of non-toxic shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users