16 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

I'm looking for a new pair of binos in the $100-200 price range. I know that's not much for glass, but that's my budget. They will be used for locating varmints primarily from a stationary position. I will also use them on walk-in hunts to locate squirrel in rough terrain so I'd prefer a med sized model. No need for a mini pair of binos. Any suggestions? Or, what should I stay away from? What should I look for? Thanks! I currently have an old pair of Sears binos that I got for $5 at a garage sale. My head gets dizzy after looking through them. B)

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

I've got a $130 pair of Wal-Mart Nikon's that I am happy with. Buy the bino straps from Crooked Horn Outfitters, too.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

Those are the bino straps that keep them on your chest.. I got mine at Wally World too. B)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

What power should I get?

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

Ben, You should get ten power bino's. The two extra power makes a big difference. I've got eight's and ten's, but the ten's work the best. B)

Time waits for no one--

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

Steve, which Luepold Wind River model do you have? The "Mesa" 10x50 binos are $179, that looks pretty good.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

My favorite pair I take squirrel shooting are the Nikon Premier LX L 10x42's. But they're a bit expensive around $1300. But Pentax makes some good glass for around $200 in a 10X. I've got a pair I got for the wife because they weren't as heavy as mine.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

I have a Bushnel Sport View with fast focus in 10 x 50.I really like them and they don't weigh a ton.Very easy focus and clear optics.Kevin G.
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

I ended up getting Cabela's Pine Ridge 10x42 roof prisim binos for $179. They have a 30-day trial no questions asked return policy, so if they're as good as they say I'll keep them. Posted ImageOtherwise I'll return them for a pair of Leupold Wind River Cascade 10x42 for $249. I'll report later.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

Ben, that's pretty hard to beat a thirty day free trial! ;)

Time waits for no one--

#11 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Shoot, with a 30-day free trial, you could repeatedly "borrow" a nice new pair of binos for free every time you go hunting. All you'd have to pay is the shipping and then return them later. Courtesy of Cabela's. But that would be dirty...

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

I just got home and the binos were on the porch. I'll give a report when it's light outside. The box and binos are clearly marked "Japan". However, the plastic baggie that the binos were wrapped in has German writing on it, then the English translation below it. Hmmm. I don't see any other clues as to who made them. They glass looks good when it's dark outside...

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

Let us know what you think. Nikon is Japanese and they make fantastic glass, some of the best in the world. Binos don't need to be expensive to do what you want. The older you get the better glass does help. But expensive glass is heavy too! :) They made it here quick enough! :D

Time waits for no one--

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

REPORT! Well, the binos seem pretty durable and well built. I don't have any worries about that. The optics are very clear and crisp. No headaches from viewing. Very bright optics. I'm totally satisfied with the clarity... Except around the edges. No matter how hard I try, there is always a small reflected fuzzy grey ring around the edges. Kinda like when your eye is the wrong distance from your rifle scope just a little and you can see a bit of a ring. It's like I can see the insides of the binos no matter how far away or how close my eyes are to the lenses. I folded down the eye cups and tried everything but they won't go away. When I move slightly side to side, the rings follow. It's not a real big deal, but I don't like it. I'm going to return them for a refund and get some Leupolds instead. I guess I wasted a few bucks on shipping, but know I know.

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

My Leupold Wind River 10x50 porro prism binos arrived! They're the same ones that Steve has. I did a comparison test with them against the Cabela's Pine Ridge 10x42 roof prism binos that Cabela's brags about. I stepped out onto my driveway and checked out the vacant field next door. It was mid-morning, clear and sunny. I viewed various crows in the field at different distances from 25 yards to 650 yards (laser ranged). I also viewed the pipes and structure of some old feed silos/buildings at about 750 yards, and the mountains in the distance.First I used the Cabela's binos, then the Leupolds at each distance. THERE IS NO COMPARISON! :D The Leupolds win hands down. The Leupolds are brighter, clearer, more comfortable to hold, more comfortable on my face with the twist up eye cups, have a clear and crisp view all around the edges of the lenses, and are just easier to see thru. After watching a bunch of crows at 530 yards for a few minutes with each pair of binos, there is no doubt that the Leupolds are MUCH better binos. Definately the clearest I've ever used, even though they are Leupold's base model. The only issue I have with the Leupolds is that the focus ring has a little bit of lag when you change directions. Just a little. Dang... Now that I've tasted my first Leupold glass, I might have to get some of their VX III scopes to replace my Simmons scopes. I'm sure I'll be suprised... I've never looked thru a Leupold scope outside a store. :D

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:45 AM

Glad you're happy with the NEW acquisition. You should look at Nikon Scopes too. They make some great glass and the prices are fair too. I've got several of their 6.5-20X44 scopes for my varmint rifles. With their fine crosshairs (my favorite) they are extremely bright and so easy to shoot small creatures at extreme distances. I bought that Leupold VXIII 6.5-20X50 30mm tube with Varmint reticle for my last .223. I love the side focus best of all hands down. Plus the Varmint reticle is a great feature. That way I've got it set for both 40gr V-MAX and 55gr V-MAX bullets. But that scope is real spendy and my Nikons work as well. But when I want to play the wind and distance game the Varmint reticle is fun. :D

Time waits for no one--

#17 sebastien

sebastien

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

I use a steiner merlin since a long time, they are perfect for lot of hard use and waterproof, the only thing is the price 480 USD but warranty 30 years....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users