• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

Fakawee and I have been talking for the last week or so about what he wanted me to make up for him. He wanted a set (howler, double reed, cottontail and coaxer,) and wanted it in camo color. I said I would have to order the wood and he said no rush. My supplier has some camo color in colorwood, so I ordered some up. Then, more talking to Fakawee and he wanted a lanyard to go with it, and tells me he wants the camo in tans and browns. OH! I was thinking camo in green, brown, black, you know, the normal stuff. Well, I shoot him a picture of a Walnut Dymondwood call I had made. He says perfect, so, I make him up a set. Just finished it up and here it is. The only problem with the set is it too shiney, because he wants no shine on it. I apologized to him, told him the shine would go away with use. It is going to the PO today and will be in the field with Fakawee, with him hunting left handed, before the year is out.He suggested I share with you folks what the set he just bought looks like. I think he is pleased but he can comment on that himself. Here are the calls and then the calls mounted on the lanyard. The calls, from the left are a howler, a double reed, a high pitch, raspy cottontail, and a coaxer.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Crosis

Crosis

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:07 AM

Awesome craftsmanship looks great...That would be a nice setup, mind if I ask how much for a similar set?

#3 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

Since I'm getting questions on prices here they are.Single Reed $22 Dymondwood $25Open Reed $25 Dymondwood $28Double Reed $25 Dymondwood $28Coaxer $7Lanyard $18If you total uo the cost of a set, using the above figures, you come to $106. However, since you are buying the entire set at once, I give a discount, and the entire set I'll sell for $96.EDIT: 12/1 Hey everyone, I just edited this today as I realized I had the wrong price posted for the double reeds. The correct price is now posted. Sorry if anyone was comfused besides me.

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Wow! Just got them today in the mail. Braz's calls look better in front of me than in the photos. They also sound terrific. Braz is the MAN!!! He even sent me an extra reed to change up the sound on the howler if I don't like the one that's installed. Notice how he made them in different shapes and sizes? This is so I can locate them by feel and not have to take my eyes off the field or predator while changing calls. This will definitely help in the dark as well. Like I told Braz, there are too many ecallers in the deserts where I've been hunting and most of the coyotes/bobcats are call shy because they've heard them all before. You just can't get an ecaller to change it's pitch or emotions to suit the predators when you want them too. Besides, this is like going back to the old days when it was truly satisfying to take a predator that you called in yourself. Thanks Braz for a truly beautiful set of calls. I promise to get the shine off soon with pine sap and dirt. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#5 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

I just bought the parts for a el-cheapo e-caller but as mentioned above, hand calls seem like they would add a certain flavor to the hunt. I know my calling ability at this point brings on the major suck, hence the e-caller, but there is something about what you make Braz.What is the comparison between a nice quality wood call and a not so cheap, price wise, plastic call? I'm trying to justify spending some money.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Primos call without the video is around $12-$15 dollars. Braz charges between $20-$25 shipped to your door. And as a customer that uses both, Braz calls are just awesome! They have called in more critters then anything else I have.Get the Primos calls to learn how to call, then move to some Braz ones to really up your game.Darren

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

I just bought the parts for a el-cheapo e-caller but as mentioned above, hand calls seem like they would add a certain flavor to the hunt. I know my calling ability at this point brings on the major suck, hence the e-caller, but there is something about what you make Braz.What is the comparison between a nice quality wood call and a not so cheap, price wise, plastic call? I'm trying to justify spending some money.

Get Randy Anderson's "Mastering the Arts" DVD. He teaches step by step on how to use the different calls. Then it's all about practicing. I usually practice in my bathroom, garage or hunting trailer to get the correct methods down but you won't be able to appreciate the sound of the calls until you get out in the open areas. There is no comparison between mass produced plastic calls and handmade custom wood calls. They sound totally different and feel different too. Everytime I've blown my Braz custom calls, they've raised the hair on my arms and sent a chill down my back. If you hunt in cold weather as I have, the plastic ones can also crack. This has happened to me on several occasions in the mountains. The money is definitely worth it for custom hand made calls. You can also tell the maker what you want as I did in discussions with Braz. He's very understanding and will get you what you want. Good Luck!

#8 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

"I promise to get the shine off soon with pine sap and dirt."OH, as a woodworker that pains me. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#9 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

What is the comparison between a nice quality wood call and a not so cheap, price wise, plastic call? I'm trying to justify spending some money.

Its like burger king and Texas Roadhouse.... Sure both will fill you up... but steak is better quality, tastes better, and over all the price is worth what you pay.. Custom made hand calls have a great sound quality, feel great in your hand, and you men will relate to this one--- Wouldnt you rather put your lips on some thing pretty?

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

very nice.

#11 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

I've been listening to a Randy Anderson/Team Primos DVD for a couple of weeks now. It's in my car and was getting the ritualistic 30 minute commute time play and practice each day. Practice calling in a little commuter car with the windows up isn't the brightest idea I've come up with so with colder weather it's an afternoon activity now.I am finding that with the Lil'Dog? call I have, it's tough to be consistent in pitch and sound. No idea if a higher quality call will help with that as opposed to or in addition to practice, practice, practice. I need to get a coyote or two under my belt to build some confidence. The e-caller should be up and running by the end of the week. I'll get with Braz and figure out what hand calls to order.

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

If you take the plastic bell off and replace it with a wood bell added it will sound richer and warmer... Not so tinny.. I did that to my Hot Dog and not nly does it sound awesome, its now real pretty :) Attached File  hotdoghowler.jpg   29.74KB   40 downloads

#13 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

You are too funny CH!!! :)

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

"I promise to get the shine off soon with pine sap and dirt."OH, as a woodworker that pains me. :roflmao3[1]:

Sorry about that Braz! My wife doesn't want me to get them dirty now. The more she looks at them, the more she doesn't want me to use them. Says they're too pretty? Darn woman! I guess I can always tuck them into my ghillie to hide them from the eyes!!! :)

#15 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Order is placed :signgreatreport3kg:

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Yep, hopefully, I'll have them done tomorrow or the next day. I'm shooting for tomorrow.

#17 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Received the call and lanyard this afternoon and already put some 80 grit sandpaper on them to dull that shine :signs165xk: Wonderful looking calls with a sweet sound. Maybe the coyotes will quit laughing at me next trip.Thanks Braz

#18 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Received the call and lanyard this afternoon and already put some 80 grit sandpaper on them to dull that shine :signs165xk: OUCH! Wonderful looking calls with a sweet sound. Maybe the coyotes will quit laughing at me next trip.Thanks Braz

Glad they got there OK and glad you like them. I did spend some time in getting them to look pretty. :welcomeani:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users