6 replies to this topic

#1 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

I have a Winchester model 70 in 223 wssm that I plan to use as a coyote gun only.I plan to use it at night mainly.So what scope do I get?Which is best suited for low light?Here are some of my ideas 3x9x50 or 2.5x10x50 or 1.5x6x40.Im also thinking a 30mm tube.What is best give me some opinions please.I want a quality scope.
Don't be stupid

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

Don't worry, SJ will move it to the correct spot. As far as a scope goes for low light conditions, don't go cheap! Cheap scopes will not give you the light transfer you are looking for. Go with something that has a 30mm tube but it does not necessarily have to have a 50mm objective lens. They just add more weight to the rifle and makes you install higher scope rings that will affect proper cheek weld. Some hunters I know like a lighted reticle also. I know my wife loves her Barska SWAT scope with lighted reticles. Just don't turn the power up too high or it overpowers your target. Also, for night hunting, you don't want a scope with a high magnification because you won't be able to see the animals movement. Somewhere in the 2.5-12 at most are your best bets. Good Luck and let us know how you do night hunting!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#3 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thanks fakawee.Im lookin to get some new ideas or even some proven ones...what works best?
Don't be stupid

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:41 AM

The Nikon Team Primos ones work great on my .223 for night hunting. Can't beat a Shepherd Scope as well. For the price point though the Nikon are inexpensive and have great light gathering capabilities. Midsouth Shooters supply had the Team Primos Nikons for a great price point last time I checked.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#5 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

D-man what power and tube size is your nikon?Thanks.
Don't be stupid

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

3-9x40 is the Team Primos Nikon with BDC reticle.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#7 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

The Nikon Team Primos ones work great on my .223 for night hunting. Can't beat a Shepherd Scope as well. For the price point though the Nikon are inexpensive and have great light gathering capabilities. Midsouth Shooters supply had the Team Primos Nikons for a great price point last time I checked.

Good choice!Woo
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users