9 replies to this topic

#1 koiloco

koiloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

Hi guys,Looking into reloading and have couple questions I'd like to ask:1. what is the difference between single and progressive press?2. Then what is a turret press? Does it come in single and progressive version too?3. what is auto-indexing?4. Final question, if budget is not a concern, what will be the best reloading kit THAT IS THE FASTEST that will last me a long time?Thanks in advanced.Ben

#2 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

1. what is the difference between single and progressive press?A single-stage press will do only one part of the reloading process at a time. Posted ImageA progressive press can be set up to do ALL the stages in sequence on multiple catridges with each pull of the lever arm.Posted Image2. Then what is a turret press? Does it come in single and progressive version too?A turret press can perform all the functions of the reloading process, but does it one cartridge at-a-time.The turret can be turned manually or automatically with the pull of the lever arm:Posted Image3. what is auto-indexing?When the shell plate or turret is turned automatically with each pull of the lever arm.4. Final question, if budget is not a concern, what will be the best reloading kit THAT IS THE FASTEST that will last me a long time?Fo someone who's just starting out, the popular Dillon 550b would be fast and relatively safe.Dillon PrecisionI'd still suggest that you first learn on a single stage like the RCBS RockChucker before moving to the progressive types.RCBSThanks in advanced.BenYou're welcome!(another) //Ben

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

Great answer, and pictures too! Two thumbs up (another) Ben!

#4 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:47 AM

Great tutorial Ben!

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

Very well done Mrkubota. It covered all the bases with excellent pictures, and I particularly like it when yu state that he should start on the single stage Rock Chucker. It is always better to fully understand each step of the operation before relying on a piece of equipment to do it for you. That way you will understand what is going on and can spot a malfuction before it creates a potentially hazzardous cartridge. Again, well done!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Nicely done Ben! ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

Couldn't agree with Ben any more. Great post!!Scott

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

I just bought a setup for about $500 all together. I got an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, RCBS dies, an RCBS tumbler, RCBS calipers, various case prep tools, etc. The stuff I got was pretty basic, so you can expect to spend a similar amuont.

#9 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

I'd still suggest that you first learn on a single stage like the RCBS RockChucker before moving to the progressive types.

I'll Second That :blink:
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

I'd add my agreement to that first and second. ;) Even if you buy a progressive later it will likely be for just one caliber. I have two and they each have their caliber. But you can load anything with a RCBS Rockchucker and I have four of those. :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users