Photo

RWS Rapier takes mixed bag with new 18 grain JSB Heavy.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

I had put my AA 410ERBSL away after shooting her with the new 18 grain JSB Heavy pellets and was taking a leisurely lunch break, when something caught my eye. I dug out my binooculars and took a peek. Sitting on a piece of downed limb was, what looked to me like, a California ground squirrel. It's not, but it sure looks like one. He's sitting in the shade and doesn't seem concerned with me at all. I put the range finder on him and get 59 yards.I open the case and pull out the RWS Rapier and set up my Stoney Point bipod. I drop a couple of the 18 grain JSB's in the two shot shuttle. All the time I'm glancing quickly to see if the ground squirrel is still there. He hasn't moved. I step away from my vehicle and drop the rifle onto the bipod. Looking through the scope I tweak the parallax. The squirrel is still sitting there looking at me. I know I'm on at 50 yards and one and a quarter inches low at 60, I hold a little high, wait for a lull in the breeze, and squeeze the trigger. The pellet knocks him off the limb. When I get over to the squirrel it looks a lot like a California Ground Squirrel without the white shoulders. This is what in Arizona is called, a Rock Squirrel.As I'm looking this guy over, an Abert's tree squirrel runs across the ground and up a tree no more than 40 yards away. When I put my binoculars on the tree, I can see him sitting on a limb quartering away from me about 30 feet up. I put the crosshairs on his ribcage, hold just a little low and launch the pellet. The satisfying THWACK of a solid hit comes back to me as he is falling to the ground dead. The pellet entered low in the right side rib area and exited near the left shoulder.Neither squirrel gave so much as a twitch. I think I'm really liking these new pellets.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

i just got my air gun set up and thats all i'll shoot through it now. i shoot .177 and .22 cal jsb's i need to go get more .177s i shot all mine at the best damn target in the world, visicolor prairie dog. they're worth the money. while i was there i was tempted to buy some RWS pellets but ill save my money for tomorrows stock up of jsb. thanks again to shooter john for that tip. my Beeman loves them.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

Nice shooting, VA. Nice write-up, too. JSB's are awesome. RA

#4 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

I love that rifle. Good lookin squirrels too.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Super story and picture. So that what an Arizona DIRT squirrel looks like! :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

Thanks folks. John, these guys look exactly California ground squirrels minus the white/grey shoulders. They appear to be just a bit smaller too. Unlike the Cal. versions though, these guys are few and far between. They can't hang onto a pellet any better than the Cal. versions either. They zip right through these guys like they're made of tissue paper.Speaking of power. When I was out on Monday I found an old tin can near where I was shooting the AA 410, so I set it out at 75 yards and took a shot at it with the new 18 grain JSB's. The pellet went through both sides, and the can just rocked a little and sat there. There is power to spare here. There will be no problem killing prairie dogs with the AA 410ERBSL and these pellets out past 100 yards. :good:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

I just recived two 500 count tin's from AOA 18.1 grain of serious stopping power with these pellets in an AA410 is just knot fair. I have a hardwood in my yard 80 ft from my back door with a squirrle den hole about 40 ft up . This morning 2 came out to take a look around both dropped like a stone i think this is the pellet for my 410 i didn't even have to resight the gun they even shot a better group than the CPHP's i was shooting with great success . Thank's cliff for turning me on to them both along with everything else your's and johns writeups about the AA410 was a big influance on my purchase .Around here 50 to 75 yrards is the most the woods have to offer so i should be good for a long time with this combo

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

You really have a winning combo with that rifle and and the new 18 grain JSB's. You might want to lay in a good supply of tree rat body bags, you're going to need them. :smiley_kewlpics: :signgreatreport3kg:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

Great shooting Chris! See I think those 14.3 JSB you were shooting were just going through without causing enough damage right away.I got my 18.1 JSB's a couple weeks back I wish the 15.8's were as easy to come by. But the 18.1's work just as well maybe I don't need anything else.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

Thanks guys for the info and the heads up on the JSB 18.1's. Received my order from AOA last week. I have some 18grn exterminator pellets that I received over a year ago, and my Air Ranger loves them. Glad JSB came out with this weight pellet. BTW VA, great post as always.

"Every Day Is My Friday"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users