• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Fishing, Hunting, Skydiving, Spearfishing, Schutzhund, and MMA.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

This morning I happily payed my a debt to my 9 yrd old daughter for winning the Jr. Worlds in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu....I took her on her 1st bow hunt as promissed.After some practice the last few days at Performance Archery and Bass Pro Shops, we headed over to the big horn canyon ranch bright and early. As soon as we arrived we threw on our ghillie suits and prepared our bows.Posted ImageAfter glassing the canyon for about an hour from different vantage points we found Rambouillet Ram she really liked hanging out 2 cliffs over.At that time she made up her mind and the stalk began.After about an hour we made it to the cliff where the ram was earlier. We heard some movement and I told her to go ahead.She quietly creeped up and nocked an arrow on her bow. She drew back and froze. After a few seconds she eased up the tension on the bow. Then the heard slowly trotted off into the distance. When I asked my daughter why she didn't take the shot, she responded: "Daddy, the one I wanted had some other rams around it that I didnt want. I dont want to shoot and risk hurting an animal that I wont be happy with! I want to wait till I have the RIGHT shot".Man let me tell you I was a proud papa! Its rare that a kid her age shows restraint, disciple, and patience while hunting.Most kids would have taken a shot at the 1st animal to present itself as a target.So we proceeded with the hunt. 3 hours later we were able to flank the same Ram, but the wind changed and he ran off before we could get into range.A couple of hours later we found the ram again feeding in the middle of a canyon. This time my daughter took the long way around by climbing the opposite side of the canyon so that she could have the wind on her side. I stayed on the adjaced cliff and watched the hunt unfold. She ended up flaking the Ram and taking a 25yd shot from the top that ended up missing his spine by about 1/2 inch. The arrow did manage to hit him in the liver severely injuring the ram.She then quickly nocked up a second arrow and took a 30 yd shot as the Ram began to take off. This arrow went straight into his vitals leaving an awesome blood trail.As I caught up with her, I found her carefully following the blood trail. At the bottom of the canyon was her prize.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Wow! She and you both have to be happy with that. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#3 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Fishing, Hunting, Skydiving, Spearfishing, Schutzhund, and MMA.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

I am. Unfortunately, the dogs got to the cape and tore it up while we were butchering the ram. We are going back next month so that she can get a four horn or a texas dall that could be saved for mounting.

#4 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

ReconDoc,That is too cool.do you mind me asking how old your daughter is? I just bought my 8 y.o. son his first real bow - it will be his Christmas present, along with a hunters safety class. his real first hunt will be either coyotes in the snow or a spring turkey.steve

#5 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

She is 9. she went to her hunters safety course a few weeks ago and got her bow last week. Right now we have it set to 40#s. good thing too, that ram had a super thick coat. I think if we would have left it on 30#s, she wouldn't have had enough draw to punch thru.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Congratulations to a proud papa and to a very happy daughter. It is easy to see how happy she is just by looking at the simile.

#7 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

That's awesome! Any details about the ranch you hunted?

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Very impressive! Congrats!

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

She is 9. she went to her hunters safety course a few weeks ago and got her bow last week. Right now we have it set to 40#s. good thing too, that ram had a super thick coat. I think if we would have left it on 30#s, she wouldn't have had enough draw to punch thru.

Thanks for the info, and congrats!!! What a cool thing that we get to do as hunters - spending time out with our kids. :-)

#11 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

That's awesome! Any details about the ranch you hunted?

1,000 acres of high fenced moreno valley cliffs and canyons. Terrain was steep as heck but plenty of game there. It would be a great place to rifle hunt with probably 90% success rate. Bow hunting is another matter all together. The terrain presents a good physical challenge to a bow hunter. It is a great place for kids to try bow hunting out.

#12 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thanks. Was thinking the same for my daughter...she's bagged a turkey, but want her to experience her first big game..she's been with me when I've shot deer and hogs...she is heading out with me this weekend for hogs if we get some good rain to track them.PM me with the name of the ranch if you don't mindThanks!

#13 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

What a great adventure for your daughter. My daughter, Lil'Shooter, comes with me as well. Wait until your daughter is big enough to drive. Genna just turned 12 last Sept., and she has been driving the car on the desert roads from stand to stand. You will probably find that the girls have more patience than boys for grabbing a shot that they want.db

Edited by Bozsik, 24 November 2008 - 03:38 PM.

#14 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Great job on teaching her right and passing on the tradition. And congrats to her for taking her first Ram.

#15 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

What a great adventure for your daughter. My daughter, Lil'Shooter, comes with me as well. Wait until your daughter is big enough to drive. Genna just turned 12 last Sept., and she has been driving the car on the desert roads from stand to stand. You will probably find that the girls have more patience than boys for grabbing a shot that they want.db

Thats the truth dude. She competes in IDPA and she is able to handle more responsibility in general, compared to most boys her age.

#16 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

I wish you were up this end of the state. We could get the two out together. She has the same bow I bought my daughter. Sorry, for the ignorance, what is the IDPA? Anyway, tell her Genna sends a big congratulations. :rolleyes: db

Edited by ShooterJohn, 24 November 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#17 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

International Defensive Pistol Association.

#18 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Grats on your daughters successful hunt :signs1180lq: Looks like you two had a great time..

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thats realy a good job she did way to go dad.

#20 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

International Defensive Pistol Association.

Thanks Braz, With all of the work I do with the county and DFG, I would think I have heard all of the anacronysms there are by now, but there is always a new one popping up somewhere.db

#21 pshaw54

pshaw54

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

good job! O'side!

#22 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Outstanding!!! :smiley_turkey_gobble:

#23 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thats the truth dude. She competes in IDPA and she is able to handle more responsibility in general, compared to most boys her age.

Have to get you out with my daughter and I. She goes on hunts with me all the time. Although she is a rifle / pistol shooter and doesn't use a bow.Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users