#1 ZITRO

ZITRO

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING ABOUT AIRGUNS.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

Does anybody have one of this ( Theoben Eliminator ) I'd like to know how it shoots and pretty much everything about it it's a little pricey but it looks like a nice gun , I already have some RWS's but I'd like to know more about this gun , the first time I saw it I was also looking for a PCP and I bought the PCP the S-410 but I think should've bought the Eliminator , I don't really like pumping up to 3000 psi and I don't want to spend any more money in scuba tanks besides I don't even know where to fill'em up , anyway if you have one or have done some shooting with one share your experience .

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

Zitro,I bought a .25 cal Theoben Eliminator about 4 years ago that I still have. The Eliminator has a gas ram instead of a regular spring as it's power source. The thinking is that a gas ram has a number of advantages over a spring when it comes to an airgun. GAS RAM 101First off a gas ram is a self contained gas filled piston much like the gas pistons that hold up the window on the back of a camper shell only alot stronger. One advantage that a gas ram has over a spring is that it will never take a set. Springs gradually become more compressed over time and lose power. This is especially true if you cock a spring gun and leave it sit for a long period of time ( a few hours) without shooting it. A gas ram does not have this problem as you are compressing air inside the piston and not metal. Another advantage that a gas ram has over a spring piston is that there is no secondary recoil. When a spring is released it travels forward until it hits the end of the compression chamber then rebounds back some and then forward again until it finally comes to rest. Think of a Slinky Toy and how the metal coils tend to go back and forth for a while until it comes to rest. The same is true for a spring powered airgun but only it happens in a much faster time frame. This is why shooting a spring airgun accurately can be very challanging for many people. With a gas ram there is a release and a deffinate thud as the piston head comes to a stop with the end of the compression chamber of the airgun and no secondary recoil. THE ELIMINATORFirst off the Eliminator is a very solid heavy gun. Scoped it outweighs my Winchester model 70 hunting rifle by about 3 pounds. The blueing on the metal is excellent as is the finish on the stock. Because of it is a break barrel design, it tends to be catagorized and compared with all of the other spring powered break barrel airguns. Mine will produce 28 -30 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle depending on which type of pellet I use. Like most pellet guns you will have to shoot a number of different type of pellets through it to find out which it shoots best. Mine seems to perfer Beeman Kodiak Match and Webely Mosquitos pellets. It takes about 40-50 lbs of force to cock the barrel of the Eliminator so it's not a good gun for girly men. Even though the Eliminator does not have a secondary recoil, it does have a pretty significant recoil and you will need to mount a quality scope on it. I have a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 on mine. I had tried mounting a Leapers 3-9x40on it because I liked the illuminated reticle feature, but I suspsect that it wasn't holding a zero because of the recoil. I have been getting 1" groups with the Beeman Kodiak Match pellets at 50 yards. This last year I noticed that my Eliminator had become erradict and was not grouping well. It turned out to be a seal in the gas ram had gone bad and had to be replaced. It coast $150.00 to ship it back to Tennesee to get it fixed. As far as hitting power goes my Eliminator has plenty. I hit a rabbit last year at 30 yards in the shoulder and it spun it around making it do a 180. One of the biggest complaint that I and a number of owners of the Eliminator have is that the trigger is not better and is not adjustable enough to get a lighter trigger pull. My Question to you is what are you looking to do with this airgun? Plink? Hunt? Target Shoot? The Eliminator certainly has enough power to take small game and is arguably the most powerful of the springer type airguns. It deffinately is not a plinker or a target shooter but a hunter. I don't ever see myself selling my Eliminator but If I had to do it over again and get a powerful Springer type airgun with a gas ram I would get a Beeman RX-2 in .22 cal. The RX-2 is almost as powerul as the Eliminator, has at least the same quality of build and has the excellent R series adjustable trigger, and tends to sell for about $300.00 less. I have become partial to the .22 cal as there are many more types of pellets to choose from in that caliber than .25 and has a bit more of a flatter trajectory.Hope that helps.Mc

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,303 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

Great report Mike I agree with assessment.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 ZITRO

ZITRO

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the complete report Mackeralboy exellent one I would say , I'm lookin for the .22 caliber to be used for hunting , like I said I dont really like to be charging the gun to 3000 psi ; I also have a Disco but that one only takes 2000 psi to fill up , a lot easier I love it , now you got me looking at theBeeman you mentioned , I'll see if I can sell my S-410 and get me one those two.

#5 ZITRO

ZITRO

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Ok, guysI'm back for more info , like I said I was going to sell my S-410 well I did and now I'm looking at a theoben .22 for hunting I really like how this gun looks and it has pretty good reviews , the only thing that's holding me is the scope mount on this rifle I read is fixed to it or machined to it , I wonder how that affects in case something goes wrong with it , for example over tightening and striping threads , I wish it had the regular 11 mm dovetail anyway , we'll see what happens .

#6 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

I like the theoben myself from what i read has lots of power for hunting and it's good looking . As for the AA410 i pump mine up with my disco pump and it gets hard i can understand . I just stop at 2500 to 2700 psi { 200 bar} and get lots of shots down to {100} bar. 35 to 40 shots and i pump it back up. I use it for varmints shoots only i wish i knew what the FPE is on this gun but with a new from AOA 18.1 grain jsb heavy today at 25 yrd's it went right through a squirille and carried 20 ft more and stuck in the wood fence post nicely . Thats pretty good but the disco i have seams a little stronger both are .22 cal . Good luck with your new choice

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

Zitro,Over all the Eliminator is what it advertises. It is the most powerful, best made, break barrel springer type airgun out there. Because of the powerful jolt that is caused by the piston slamming home, having a fixed scope mount base is a good thing. The only draw back I can see from having the fixed base is you might not be able to get the right eye relief with certain scopes. I would not worry about the fixed scope mount stripping out unless you are using a breaker bar to tighten down the ring screws with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users