26 replies to this topic

#1 BKTJ

BKTJ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

Looking for a new hunting bow, need an upgrade? I use it for pig hunting in Texas and Yotes here. I currently have one of those Bass Pro Low end($250) PSE specials. It was ok to learn with, but now I need a better bow. Thank,TJ

#2 FresnoHunter

FresnoHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

I am looking to get a entry level compound bow, been reading about the PSE stinger, seems to have some good reviews, I will need to try one out at Wilderness Archery. Is your bow something like the stinger?

#3 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

go to a good shop try all the bows you can an find the one that fits you.you are not far from fullerton in north oc.that is the best shop in socal helpful staff an a ton of bows all brands.

#4 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Your PSE is a good bow! I have had a PSE and loved it, I now have a Hoyt and it shoots great! Bowtech makes a good bow for the price also.(.02$)

#5 BKTJ

BKTJ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

The PSE is a good bow and I have had no trouble with it. Just a basic bow, no frills and it does the job. It's just that all my buddies have Matthews high end bows and I have bow envy. I figure if I am going to spend $500 of more I would like some real world owner opinions. My friends only speak Matthews and don't know if there is any better value or bow for the buck.

#6 Crosis

Crosis

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

Heh, I have old Bow's...I have a Browning and Darton (both Compounds)The Browning is for target shooting, the Darton is for hunting...Both are atleast 8 years old, never had a problem with them...

Edited by Crosis, 24 November 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#7 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Get the PSE if you want to go compound - built like a tank, so it can handle anything. Very good reputation in the industry for it's toughness where other bows would fail. Used to have one - but shoot a Mathews Drenlin now, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not entry level for sure.You might also check out the Diamond Rock. It's made by bowtech and is a really good entry level bow.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#8 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

PSE typhoon you cant go wrong

#9 cabowhunter

cabowhunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:California Licensed Guide #0011290.<br />Camping, Bowhunting, Fishing

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

PSE's are great bows built tough...never mind the branding too much though, and just find one that fits, shoot many before you buy, I have 3 that I use for hunting, different brands, they all fit me well, and I have not had any trouble. ROSS Cardiac, ROSS 337, and a Bear Instinct.

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

I love my Diamond Black Ice but I'm partial to anything Bowtech because I live about 5 miles up the road from them and I'm in there at least once a month. Their 82nd Airborne is one fast shooting SOB, and the new Diamond Ice Man is a sweet shooting bow. It all depends on deep your wallet is...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#11 vertical_edge_800

vertical_edge_800

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

my first bow was a matthews solo cam, i spent around $600 for everything when i got it.. (release, dozen arrows, decent stabilizer..) your local bow shop might have a package deal something like that. i bought my bow about 6 years ago... you can probably get a sweet solo-cam for not a whole lot more than i got mine for years ago... slayed many moose, caribou, black bears, ruffed grouse, red squirrels, spruce grouse, and a coyote or two with it... awesome bow. shot a few PSE's over the years im glad i spent the extra cash- point is, entry level bows are just that, for entry level shooters, a little bit more cash, you can have a awesome bow and your not going to hate it and want to buy a new one with all the bells and whistles 2 years later....

#12 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

HOYT! enough said.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#13 rem270

rem270

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing camping Photography

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Give Diamond a try. I shoot Mathews and just got a job at the Sportsmen's Wherehouse and have set up there Diamonds and have to say they shoot right next to my DXT but they are a little bigger and heavier

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

Jumping in here. ;)I'm not sure if I am going to get a Bow, but I have been thinking about it. Other than price being a factor, what are the differences between the expensive brands (Hoyt, Mathews etc) and the cheaper entry levels (PSE, Diamond, Bowtech).I would obviously be a beginner, but I hate getting into something, spending a bunch of $$ then find I wish I had just spent the $$ in the beginning. Not saying that is the case here, just trying to understand "WHY" the expensive bows are expensive.Also, after the bow, what and how much $$ do you need to get all the OTHER stuff?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

Jumping in here. ;)I'm not sure if I am going to get a Bow, but I have been thinking about it. Other than price being a factor, what are the differences between the expensive brands (Hoyt, Mathews etc) and the cheaper entry levels (PSE, Diamond, Bowtech).

WHOA, buddy!!! Don't group Bowtech in with the "cheap" bows... They have some of the most cutting-edge products out on the market right now. Plus if you do a little shopping you'll see they're not exactly giving them away! Even my Diamond was about $650 when I bought it and that is Bowtech's "generic" line. :signbummer8tl: With accessories it was right around $1000.To start, you'll need a bow, a sight, an arrow rest, a quiver, a peep sight, a stabilizer, silencers, a release, a bow case, and at least a half dozen cheap arrows (start with cheap ones because you will probably lose more than one). I also like a wrist strap but that is optional.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#16 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Here is a pic of the BowTech Sniper pkg $625 arrows and release included. Best bang for your buck!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

Nice looking setup! I need a NEW bow. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

WHOA, buddy!!! Don't group Bowtech in with the "cheap" bows...

OK, as you can see I am a newb when it comes to bows.I understand the whole go and shoot or try a bunch before you buy. Problem being I have no knowledge or starting point to go from. Other than letting some salesman sell me something I don't need so he can make a commission.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

Just go and shoot a couple of bows they show you. You'll either like them or it will be so so. Doesn't hurt to do some reading on the new stuff I guess but I shoot what I liked and always did well. I'm going down to see Chris at Golden Arrow Archery and see what he says. I trust his knowledge of archery equipment. That way I don't have to do the work before hand. Or I could shoot my old barebows I have around here. My compound would need work and I'd rather have a NEW one. No lead in arrows!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

I would definitely give Reflex a look. They are essentially a Hoyt. Just went to the range and really got to shoot mine for the first time yesterday. It's fast, quiet, and is a dream to shoot. Easy on the wallet as well. My model is on the Cabela's bargain cave for 350, bare bow. My first bow was a Martin Jaguar. Also a good bow.

#21 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

You can ask 10 different guys the same question and get 10 different answers.The thing about bows is you usually get whast you pay for and you really need to find wich bow feels best/most comfortable to you. You can have the fastest bow,the lightest bow,the bow with the smoothest draw,you get the picture BUT if it isn't comfortable for you to shoot its not the right bow for you. I wont even tell you what bow I shoot( or the 5 that I owned before I found the one for me),because it really is not relevant to you. You should go to your local bow shop and shoot every bow he has in the price range you can aford if he is a reputable shop he wont mind helping you find the bow for you.Hope this helps, Ron

#22 sertshark

sertshark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

I've had my eye out for a bow for awhile now and I think I've pretty much decided to get a PSE. I shot a few at the archery range and I liked the PSE. I think nowadays, bow companies aren't going to stay in business if their product isn't good. I think if you go with one of the major brands you will be ok. I'm a newbie to the bow hunting world, so I don't think I need to fork out the dough for a Mathews. I'd love to have one, but its just not gonna happen. Plus, go on the PSE website and look at those photos! Wow. They've killed a lot of animals (like most bow companies I'm sure). But, I don't see any of those guys in the photos complainin'.

#23 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

i just bought a diamond rock went out the the range and they had 3d targets. basically if your new like me, its life size animals that u can shoot at. i had my wife and 4 yr old niece out there.. i was hitting them at 50 yrds and less, i took my niece around acting like i was hunting and she say uncle robert there is a deer so id creep up 40/50 yrd draw the bow and then brought home the bacon lol. well not really but she had fun and my wife was impressed. i sold my first compound 18 yrs ago, there is all kinds of new stuff on these things but after i sited in at 20 yrss the other 2 pins that came with it i was able to hit everything within 50 yrs. i actually shot at a pig target about 70 yrds out against the wind and missed the first shot but did kentucky windage and shot the pig in the rear legg. then i re kentucky windage and went right over the back are that was fun lol.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#24 jimmiya

jimmiya

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

I have a Bowtech Liberty that I might get rid of. If anybody is interested let me know.

#25 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I used to shoot 3D tournaments at the Semi-Pro level for Mathews and BowTech. Both company's have top of the line equipment. My suggestion to you is go to a professional archery shop and have them temporarily set up a bow of your liking and to your measurements (very important) and shoot different bows before settling on one. Let's face it, if you pick the fastest, most powerful, shortest bow and you can't shoot it comfortably and accurately, you won't like the bow and definitely won't be able to hit squat! There are alot of bows out there-choose carefully!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#26 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Ditto . fakawee :roflmao3[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#27 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

I used to shoot 3D tournaments at the Semi-Pro level for Mathews and BowTech. Both company's have top of the line equipment. My suggestion to you is go to a professional archery shop and have them temporarily set up a bow of your liking and to your measurements (very important) and shoot different bows before settling on one. Let's face it, if you pick the fastest, most powerful, shortest bow and you can't shoot it comfortably and accurately, you won't like the bow and definitely won't be able to hit squat! There are alot of bows out there-choose carefully!

Like I said above, great minds think alike fakaweeYou can ask 10 different guys the same question and get 10 different answers.The thing about bows is you usually get whast you pay for and you really need to find wich bow feels best/most comfortable to you. You can have the fastest bow,the lightest bow,the bow with the smoothest draw,you get the picture BUT if it isn't comfortable for you to shoot its not the right bow for you. I wont even tell you what bow I shoot( or the 5 that I owned before I found the one for me),because it really is not relevant to you. You should go to your local bow shop and shoot every bow he has in the price range you can aford if he is a reputable shop he wont mind helping you find the bow for you.Hope this helps,Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users