7 replies to this topic

#1 Maynster

Maynster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi As stated, I'm a newby here... I'm thinking of getting a CZ in 221 fireball and rebarreling for 20VarTarg for yotes and chucks. the investment would be cheaper than buying a new Cooper (nice gun though) or Dakota (not onmy salery).Form what I've gleened off the net, it seems like a good efficiant cartrige out to about 500yd. I like the idea of little or no recoil, as my sholder has been put back together twice in the last seven years. Have any of you delt with this cartrige? Thanks for the forum. It's great to interact with fellow sportsman, as were I live in San Jose, there aren't alot of people who openly talk about hunting, varminting or the like. Thanks Kelley

#2 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

I live in San Jose, there aren't alot of people who openly talk about hunting, varminting or the like. Thanks Kelley

Thats just a crying shame! :P Welcome to the CPC forum Kelley.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Welcome Kelly. You are sure to get some good advise and meet some good folks here.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 Maynster

Maynster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

I'll let you know how the build up on the rifle goes, I'm not entirely sure when it will happen though. I heard the Bruno actions were a good platform, and they have a micro action for the 221 fireball.Dunno... I have work to be done on my Arisaka as well... Maybe the wife will for xmass, but I doubt it.As far as the folks around here... let just say the looney's at PETA must have bred here. I don't belittle too many causes..... I think I'll stop now....Kelley P.S. I don't even think there is a place to hunt in my local for at least 200mi. Point in fact, I'm heading to Tulelake this weekend to go squirlin with my dad. The first ime in.....20 years.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

Welcome to the forum Kelley,Well, I've no personal experience with the 20VarTarg, but what I have read sounds like a great caliber. Just to throw a curv, have you considered the 204? It also comes in the CZ. The recoil, muzzle jump & performance cannot be much different between the two, with the 204 giving slightly higher velocity. The VarTarg probably has it over the 204 in accuracy however, which is ALWAYS important. Not trying to talk you out of the nice project you have in mind, but rather throwing out another (cheaper) option is all. All The BestFrank

#6 Maynster

Maynster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

I've considered the 204, but the VarTarg is really atractive. I dunno I guess I like oddball things, and I'm set up to reload, and the VarTarg needs about half as much powder. Granted it probably isn't the most economical rout to take, as far as considering a rifle.Kelley

#7 Maynster

Maynster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the link.... Looks really impressive , any yotes past 300 I'll harrass with my Arisaka.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:13 PM

I've considered the 204, but the VarTarg is really atractive. I dunno I guess I like oddball things, and I'm set up to reload, and the VarTarg needs about half as much powder. Granted it probably isn't the most economical rout to take, as far as considering a rifle.Kelley

Get shooter John to give you links to the 20 Practical ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users