9 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

I had a chance today to shoot the new JSB's for the first time. I shot them through my RWS Rapier at 25 yards and 50 yards. I had heard that the POI is the same as the 16 grainers out to 100 yards.With this rifle, I'm normally one inch high at 25 yards and dead on at 50. That is exactly where these print. I didn't go out further because I wanted to go hunting squirrels. I should have spent more time punching paper. Didn't see a single furball today. Not even a chipmunk. I guess that's why it's called "hunting", and not "rack 'em and stack 'em". :signs1180lq: The wind was dead calm for most of the day. I fired a couple of five shot groups on a prairie chuck target to test them out. My aim point on the 25 yard group at 12 o'clock on the bullseye, was the number 10 in the center.For the 50 yard group on the head, I fired a shot and then used that pellet hole as my aim point. I use a portable shooting stand that I bought about 15 years ago for $100. It has got to be the best hundred bucks I've ever spent on a piece of shooting gear. It only weighs 17 pounds and breaks down into two pieces. It's very stable, and I can adjust it for shooting from a standing or sitting position. It's built around a military surplus tripod.I've wanted a pellet that split the difference between the 16 grain JSB's and the 21 grain Beeman Kodiaks, and I think I've found it.Here are a few pics from today. If you look directly over the scope in the one pic, you can see the portable target frame at 50 yards.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

That is great shooting. Please give us an update when you get to shoot them in the Discovery.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Would these "new" JSB pellets be the 18 gr....???

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

I sure do like your shooting stand. I had a chance to buy a surveyors tripod a while back and didn't. After looking at your setup, I'm kicking myself. Good shooting too.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

That is great shooting. Please give us an update when you get to shoot them in the Discovery.

I did today, and it did not shoot them well at all, but they might be great in another gun.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Would these "new" JSB pellets be the 18 gr....???

Yes sir, those be the ones. Going to try them in my AA 410ERBSL Next.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

I sure do like your shooting stand. I had a chance to buy a surveyors tripod a while back and didn't. After looking at your setup, I'm kicking myself. Good shooting too.

Thanks, having an acurrate gun, and ammo that's compatible with it helps. This shooting stand is slicker than snot on a brass door knob. :roflmao3[1]: It was the perfect prairie dog shooting platform. I used it for many a trip to Wyoming and South Dakota when I was heavy into powder burners.It's light but sturdy, and doesn't take up much room in a vehicle. It's perfect for testing like I did today.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

Fine shooting there Cliff. That's surprising they shoot so close to the 15.8gr JSB's but that's a good thing. Sorry to hear your furry targets didn't come out to play, but that's life. That is a great shooting stand and at that price it's a steal.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Fine shooting there Cliff. That's surprising they shoot so close to the 15.8gr JSB's but that's a good thing. Sorry to hear your furry targets didn't come out to play, but that's life. That is a great shooting stand and at that price it's a steal.

It's kind of strange. Sort of like there was a disturbance in the force. :roflmao3[1]: On Monday, there were a pretty good number of squirrels and a gazillion chipmunks. Today, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Nothing, it was kind of erie really. Maybe it was a holiday of some sort for them. :drinks: This stand has worked out just great. The tripod was used by the U.S. Army as part of a system that was used to lay in artillery battery's. It still has some Army markings on it.The fellow I got it from made the top for it that turned it into a shooting stand. Very clever really.

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:10 AM

Another source for the JSB Exact 22 HVY 18 Gr pellets...http://www.straights...jpjsbexact.htmland Arizona Airguns...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users