• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

i just got the beeman rs1 dual cal air rifle. i set it up and started shooting with the .177 barrel, i started using the gamo target pellets. once i got it dialed in i stopped shooting. then i went back out side and tried using the hunter pellets i noticed my sight was way off. i started adjusting the sight and got it dialed in to those pellets. after about 100 i noticed i wasnt hitting the target anymore. i kept moving the sight and nothing! am i going to have to set my gun up each time for the pellet i want to shoot? i need help i dont even know where to start. i was shooting at about 20 yards. i'm a bowhunter, never had a gun before so this is all new to me.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

First thing to do is get the gun a little broken in and it sounds like you have a pretty good start. Then you need to find the pellet your gun likes to shoot. They don't like everything you feed them. I probably have fifty different types of pellets that I've tried over the years in fact fifty might be low. But what do you want to do with the gun? Do you want to target shoot or try some small game? Most airguns like a diablo type of pellet which has a rounded nose not flat and not pointed. Crossman premiers are this stile. Once you find a pellet that groups well stick with it. Because otherwise you will be sighting in every time. Just like you would in a powder burning cartridge gun. They all shoot differently with different manufacture bullets. Have fun that's the main thing.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

thats what i noticed, when i went with the rounded pellets i shot great! but why would the sight all of a sudden go wack-oh? i noticed once i switched from the flat to rounded pellets i was hitting more on the bullseye, but then out of now where i couldn't hit the damn thing. maybe i just got tired. anyways tomorrow i'll be stopping at turners for some more ammo. when i got my gun i got the gamo 4 pack of 250 pellets. whats the best all around pellet to use? i want to go for birds and rabbits, squirrel, possibly the cat from next door who keeps making the i'm in heat noises on my wall!

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

From my experience the dual caliber air rifles tend to be more of a sales gimmick than anything. Pick which caliber you like best then stick with it. I am partial to .22 caliber because of the knock down power vs a .177. Like John said, some air guns are very particular about the pellets they like to shoot. Being somewhat familiar with the particualr model you have it is chinese made and will take a little while to break in. Somethimes as much as a thousand pellets has to go through a gun before all of the moving parts break in. Kind of like piston rings on a car. Once a gun has gone through this break in period you should start to notice better consistancy in your shots. That and the fact that shooting 1000 rounds through any gun will tend to make you a better shot with that gun. As far as pellets go, the following 4 are the ones that I have found that shoots the best in .177 caliber. 1. Beeman Kodiak Match2. Crosman Primiers3. RWS superdomes4. anything from JSBIf you go with .22 caliber I try the following1. JSB exacts 2. Crosman Primiers3. RWS superdomesOnce I figure out which pellet a particular airgun shoots best I shoot nothing but that pellet with that gun. Last but not least is the way you hold your air rifle. Unlike a firearm you don't want to have a death grip on a spring powered airgun. Because of the way that a spring in an air rifle vibrates as it is being released, holding the gun tight interferes with the natural rythm of the gun and throws off the accuracy. Try using what has been described by more knowlegable airgun shooters than myself as the "artillery hold. " This is where you hold the fore end of the air rifle very lightly or just rest it on the palm of your front hand with little to no grip at all. It sounds a bit weird but I'll be damned if it dosen't work with a good majority of spring air rifles.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

The scope might have broken. Those springs in these airguns can be murder on scopes not made for the reverse recoil these guns place on them. You may have changed you grip too. These springers or spring powered airguns are hold sensitive. You don't want to grip them real hard. In fact you want the gun to just lay in your supporting hand so that it can move when fired. Also try to get into a habit of gripping it the same every time. The round nosed pellets are what most everyone use for hunting. There is a company called JSB and their pellets are the best shooting and what I use in my airguns.

Time waits for no one--

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

Check your stock screws...sounds like they have loosened up..be sure to use a good screw driver and just snug them up.(.do not overtighten)..I bought a Beeman R9 ( .22 cal,) and after shooting various pellets breaking it in,my POI was way off...I checked the stock screws and they were loose...there should be two on the forestock and one just forward of the trigger guard...BTW...this is common on break barrel air rifles...Rich

#7 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

oh whoa! now that you said something about the grip i was a little tired and upset so i was gripping the gun a little tighter. i was just looking online at what pellets are out there and the gold plated ones look really nasty and mean! a bit pricey but when it comes to hunting and the outdoors you cant be cheap. i've already learned that cheap dog poop can get you killed! but thats for another topic. thanks a lot guys for your help! i glad i got this gun only because a pellet is a lot cheaper than an arrow. i plan on taking with me when i go out with my bow to take out squirrels making to much noise in the trees. i got tired of hitting the squirrel and busting up an arrow and judo point. is there anything else i should know about air guns?

#8 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

These guys here have tought me plenty about airguns and i have been shooting them for yr's .But here's what i learned DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on those gold raptor pellets in fact on any gamo ammo.It's all garbage JMO they are hard and riccocet everytime ,after 10 yrd's there offcourse and you can't kill what you can't hit . I shot all kinds of ammo in my varmint hunter and was never satisfied with my groups at 25 yrd's at about 3000 shots i made a grave but worth wild mistake i oiled my gun and it destroyed it .I sent it to a cat with mad skills Rich from michigan, he rebuilt my gun and put in a spring tuned it up adjusted my trigger yet still the same with the gamo ammo . Try some better quality round he told me so i did rws meisterkugeln where the first and luckly the last it made a world of diffrence {it's a wadcutter} 95% kill rate on english sparrows at 65FT under my bird feeder .So now i have 250 gold plated and 1000 gamo hunter rounds that i will never use . Where as the gamo hunters are a decent pellet it dosn't even come close to kill zone accuracy as the RWS. And i got lucky again as with my disco and AA410 .22 cal they both shoot exactly the same at 40 yrd's with CPH points that i now lightly lube with lemon pledge {thanks john}. now i just have to order what works only . If you really must try the gold ammo i will gladly send it 2 you or anyone who has a gun they work in take about a week to get there from NY

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have to agree with The Knot that the Gamo Raptor gold plated pellets suck. In addition to the members at this forum, there is a wealth of information on airguns if you Google "Airgun". A few of my favorite sites are pyramydair.com, straitshooters.com, americanairgunhunter.com, & beemans.netStart with these sites and check out their various links and you will have enough airgun info to last you for months.

#10 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

the good news is my sight is fine! what you said did register something, when i was shooting at an immature lime (the perfect size to resemble at birds head) i noticed as i got to the bottom of the ammo tin that the pellets where missing slightly high and right and down and left. i didn't get a chance to get more ammo today but i don't want to wast money on the raptor pellets. i think ill will get the R.W.S. can i get them at wal_mart? i kept compensating for each 3 group cluster. ill take those gold pellets off your hand there buddy. in the mean time i need to get over to wal-mart or tuners.

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Walmart might carry the Crosman primiers but I know that Turners carries RWS pellets.

#12 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

I echo a lot of the good tips already posted above, so some of this is redundant. I have an Air Arms ProSport .177, an R7 in .177 and my buddy has an HW97k in .20 caliber. We spent a ton of time this summer studying and experimenting with how to wring the best accuracy from them. It can be frustrating. I was surprised to learn that there are a lot of differences shooting air rifles vs. powder burners. I found a lot of information on www.pyramydair.com which is a large distributor of air rifles, and also straightshooters.com. Here are a few of the most important things I learned after my buddy put 3,000 rounds through his HW and I put 1,800 through my PS. It's more info than you're asking for, but hopefully it will save you some time."The Artillery Hold"You'll find lots of info on pyramydair.com from Tom Gaylord about this. Air rifles are notorious for being "hold sensitive." This means they apparently don't like a tight death grip on the stock and don't jam the butt into your shoulder or the shots fly all over the place. Experienced shooters recommend holding the rifle as loosely as possible, and in the same exact place each time to allow the rifle's recoil to provide the most accurate shot. (Weird, I know.) This means that if shooting from a rest, don't rest the forearm of the stock directly on the rest because it needs to bounce around with the recoil to get the best accuracy. Instead, assuming you're right handed, put your left hand under the forearm and let your left hand rest on the bag. Hold the forearm with your left had loosely, just enough to steady the shot. Right hand on the pistol grip should be loose. My ProSport trigger is adjusted to 2.5 lbs. Go for a surprise break, pulling through the trigger and maintaining your sight picture. Follow through is very important so pull all the way through even after the shot, taking care not to pull the shot to the right. Keep your eye in the scope. In the field, you can shoot from a Stoney Point "V" rest mounted on a camera tripod, but it won't be as accurate of course as a bench and a bag with your hand under the forearm. PelletsGamo pellets are pretty horrible. Stay away from them altogether. If you're trying for longer range accuracy, go with pellets that are tried and true for accuracy from 25 to 50 yards. I've found these to be the best for .177: JSB Exact 8.4 grain http://www.pyramydai...l?pellet_id=261Beeman Field Target Special ("FTS") 8.9 grain http://www.pyramydai...l?pellet_id=336Crosman Premier Light 7.9 grain http://www.pyramydai...l?pellet_id=118RWS Meisterklugen 8.2 grain wadcutter http://www.pyramydai...l?pellet_id=217The round nosed or dome shaped ("diabolo") pellets above tend to fly flatter and maintain more energy upon impact at longer ranges than the wadcutters, which start to see a more serious decline in their terminal ballistics after 30 yards because of drag. The wadcutters, however, are extremely effective on pigeons and rabbits at 10-30 yards because their flat face causes them to delivery a lot of energy on impact rather than just passing all the way through. I've successfully taken cottontails with JSB Exacts at 10, 15, 30, 35 and 53 yards very effectively with head and neck shots, most of which were one-shot, one kill. Another buddy of mine shoots a Gamo Shadow 1000 and has nailed 7 pigeons in the last 2 months at 20-25 yards (pooping on his roof) using RWS Meisterklugens. Some were fly aways that expired 30 yards away. The Beeman FTS is a great pellet too in terms of trajectory and fpe at POI. Some people swear by Crosman Premier Lights and get great results with them, but they're not as accurate in my ProSport as JSB or FTS's. Stock Screws and Scope MountAs others have already said, make sure these are snugged tight. I check them about every 200 rounds. Don't overtighten scope screws however, or you'll risk stripping them or possibly bending your scope. I think the Beeman website says one of the leading causes of air rifle inaccuracy is loose stock screws. I had that problem with my ProSport after 500 rounds. You'll be surprised at how loose they can get.ScopeJohn's right. Get a scope that is capable of handling the recoil of an air rifle, which is harsher than rimfires or some centerfires because of the backwards and forwards motion of a spring gun. Companies that make decent air rifle scopes without breaking the bank are Bushnell, Leapers, Centerpoint, Hawke, and others. I like a scope with mil dots because it makes it much easier to gauge your hold over and hold under depending on the range of your target. Range and TrajectoryIt's critical to know your range and trajectory since these pellets aren't very heavy and there can be a big rise and decline. There are free programs you can download like Al-Bal and Chairgun to map your trajectories for different pellets. My ProSport likes JSB Exact 8.4 gr and, according to Al Bal, with a 10 yard zero, the pellet climbs up .96" at 20 yards, 25 yards is 1.23", 30 yards is 1.35", 35 yards is 1.29", 40 yards is 1.07" and 50 yards it's back to zero. Beyond that, it drops off pretty quick. You need to know the actual muzzle velocity of the pellet in your rifle, so I bought a chron for $89 and did an average using 5x5-shot groups. After running your pellet in the program, confirm your ballistics assumptions in the field on a circular target at the different ranges. Bottom line on all this is that we found we're very accurate at 10-30 yards -- quarter inch groups are possible -- and between 1/2" to 1" groups at 50 yards are typical. Other shooters can do better, I'm sure, but that's what my buddy and I typically get. And, to be honest, we often get great 3 or 4-shot groups, then a crazy flier out to an inch that blows the group and causes lots of cursing. Another thing you'll probably find helpful at some point is a laser rangefinder. Without one, I find it's hard to accurately judge distances. I'm usually pretty far off if I just estimate it off the top of my head.Break-in and "Dieseling"More to John's point. Rifles vary, but we found that our rifles needed about 500 to 1000 rounds through them to break in. They have a lot of oil in the barrel and action when they're new from the factory and sometimes that oil in the barrel ignites, causing "dieseling." You'll see some smoke and smell it after your shot. Dieseling causes the pellet to fly abnormally fast, so a shot that dieseled is going to be atypical and a bit wild of your target. You'll see the effects of this more dramatically at 50 yards than 10. After awhile, that surplus oil should burn off and your rifle should settle in. Anyhow, hope that's helpful and good luck. Be sure you have a safe background or back drop to whatever you shoot, especially if you're doing backyard varmint control in the suburbs. These air rifles are very powerful. My ProSport shot a hole through the front and out the back of a full, unopened tuna can at 50 yards using a Crosman Premier Heavy. So be careful.RA

#13 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:27 AM

yesterday during my lunch break i went to tuners and asked about the rws's, the young guy told me out of all the air guns and pellets he's shot, he said try air venture in bellflower and get JBS. i went in and found the czech pellets. i still havent shot them hopefuly i can do that today. but while i was in the store 3 older guys walked in and stalked up on 6 tins yeah of the jbs pellets. i asked them why the prefer that pellet and one guy quickly laughs and said "he's new, should we save him money or let him figure it out!" the next guy says "Kid those are the damn best pellets you can buy! What a shame they're not american!" we'll see how right they are.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

I've been shooting them for years and haven't found a better pellet. I'm surprised they only bought 6 tins each. I have a couple of orders being delivered in the next week of about 25 tins and another 10 tins on back order. :nice_need_pics:

Time waits for no one--

#15 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

SJ did you get a GE mini gun feed system for that rifle? :roflmao3[1]:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

No feed system. But I shoot a bunch indoors in the winter just for something to do. It's great off hand shooting practice. It helps to keep your aim sharp.

Time waits for no one--

#17 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: so i had to take my gun back for an exchange. something was wrong with it alright. this time i set the gun up just right and have plenty of good ammo to shoot throguh it. hopefully the scope is good on this out of the box. i really dont wanna go back and make another exchange. the wried thing is my friend nate has this exact same gun and he's had no trouble with it. now i got to start breaking in this one. i think my next air gun is going to be a Gamo. if i shoot today i'll let you know how it went.

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

You won't like the Gamo triggers....

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Save and buy a Beeman R9 you'll be happy forever that way.

Time waits for no one--

#20 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: so i had to take my gun back for an exchange. something was wrong with it alright. this time i set the gun up just right and have plenty of good ammo to shoot throguh it. hopefully the scope is good on this out of the box. i really dont wanna go back and make another exchange. the wried thing is my friend nate has this exact same gun and he's had no trouble with it. now i got to start breaking in this one. i think my next air gun is going to be a Gamo. if i shoot today i'll let you know how it went.

The big question is what is your price range?I have a couple of Gamo's. They are decent shooting guns but like crazyhorse said the triggers suck. What I did to mine is replaced the factory trigger with an aftermarket trigger by Charlie Da Tuna. It only takes about 15 minutes to do. It made all of my Gamos go from mediocre guns to good guns. It's hard to beat any of the R series Weihrauch/Beemans for quality but you can get a Gamo and the aftermarket trigger for about 200 dollars less than a comparable Beeman.

#21 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: So finally today i got off work early enough to shoot. i finised setting up the gun and started pumping lead. i quickly noticed the difference. there was something really off with the firs gun i got. the new gun took 30 min to get dialed in. it took almost 2 days for the other one. the pellets do make all the difference. the jbs pellets are really soft lead so they pick up the rifling a lot better. second they really do more damage than all the other pellets i got here so far. since the lead is really soft, they really mushroom out big time! man i'm ready for doves! anyone live near downey ca? i need a hunting partner that also bowhunts! hit me up! :signs1242cn: thanks for all your help guys! i think before i get another air rifle i'm going to get use to this one. it shoots dead on at 20 yards, i wasnt missing a dime sized target. hit every time. Watch out you FREAKIN CROW ill get you tomorrow monring if you mess with my birds again!

#22 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

:signs1180lq: So finally today i got off work early enough to shoot. i finised setting up the gun and started pumping lead. i quickly noticed the difference. there was something really off with the firs gun i got.

Glad you got a new gun and it's working for you. Don't feel bad about the first one because that happens. When my buddy got his brand new .20 cal. Beeman/Weirauch HW97k last summer, he noticed it was really starting to lose a lot of power -- about 80 fps -- after 500 rounds. Plus, it dieseled unpredictably. We had chronned it all along so we had the numbers to prove it. Turned out it had a bad spring and main seal. So he swapped it out with the dealer and got a new one. His second one also lost some power with break-in, but not nearly as bad as the first. So I guess springer air rifles just lose some power after they break in. But it's not too bad. My ProSport has lost about 30 fps since it was new, and it's still very powerful and accurate. Good luck and happy hunting,RA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users