• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Ok After gettting back from cedarville I have been thinking I need another gun. I think I want something to go after coyotes with( the wife seems to think the new 30-06 I bought last year should work). I am thinking not.I have two avenues to go here can I get some input. I have TC and a few pistol barrels. I was thinking I could pick up a carbine Barrel and the stock or I could just buy a whole new rifle. I think buying the barrel and stock for the TC will be a little chaper. Now I also need to decide on a caliber. I do not releoad but my dad does. So i have that option available to me, As far as calibers go I am thinking along the lines of the following calibers. .223 cheap ammo 22-250.243 can i get some input I maybe going on a road trip to Colorado in June so I may take it with me to do some Varmint hunting also Thanks for the input in advance guys Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

O.K.: First off why do you think you need a new gun, not that anyone really needs a reason for a new gun :P Is the T/C Contender or EncoreIf Contender, 22-250 and 243 are out.If it were me and The T/C were Encore I would get a barrel and stock..204, .223 or 22-250I prefer .223 but any one of those would work great, personal preferance.If T/C is Contender you could go .204 or .223Again I would go .223However I would chose a new gun over the T/C Contender.Oh wait I already did do that :P New gun choice, my preferance:Rem. 700 VLS or VSSF .223Savage 12FV .223
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hylander It is a contender. I know I am leaning towards a new gunn, But I have the contender frame and never shoot the damn things maybe I should sell the conteder and the two barrels I have and just buy a new dang gun.
Rocklin,Ca

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I'd recommend a 223... it would be a great round for coyote and squirrel. It isnt as hard on a barrel as a 22-250. As you already stated the 223 is quite a bit easier on the wallet.Is price a big issue? If so Stevens has a very affordable rifle that has been receiving top marks. Since you already have an 30-06 I think the 243 would be a little redundant.

#5 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

I am not sure where I will be shooting I am still waiting for some one to invite me :P :P I am just getting ready, I will probably use it for squirrels also.
Rocklin,Ca

#6 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

If you want to use it for Squirrels as well, get a Heavy Barrel.

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

Heavy Barrel was what I was thinking, Now I just need to squirrel enough money away with out the wife knowing :P
Rocklin,Ca

#8 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

If you don't use the Contender, you could sell it pretty easy.That would put you well on the way to a new gun.

#9 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

I would get a 22-250 it is the best coyote caliber made. Its flat and fast bucks the wind well. It may burn barrels but how many coyotes you plan on shooting. That is what I use and would recomend it to anybody. But different strokes for different folks.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Lots of great advice... So lets see here... First, I am a H-U-G-E fan of Remington especially their VLS & VSSF as Hylander mentions, with the VSSF being my favorite... & I don't even own a VSSF... YET! lol I do own a VLS however & is a tack driver.Also, if you do not use your contender then selling it would offset the cost of a new rifle. In fact that (not using it) is the reason I did not buy one last Sat. I came close as it was an older Contender with original engraving, deep bluing, dark walknut grip/stock w/thumb rest in MINT condition. I was having withdrawls. lolAs the old saying goes, buy one that you can afford while at the same time remembering you get what you pay for. The VSSF's are expensive. A model 10 Savage is 1/2 the price. But you have to be HAPPY with it.Weight? It seems to me that most predator hunters like lighter rifles... EXCEPT me! lol The heavier the better, for several reasons that I won't bore you with.I also agree with Mr. Mister, in that get one that is "dedicated" (specialized) to the game. With that in mind, the 223, 22-250 & 204 seem to be ideal. Especially on the various polls I've seen on various websites. While I've owned several 223's & 22-250's, the 22-250 has been my favorite for over 25 years... So far! lol With that said, I am very interested in the new kid on the block (sorta speak) in the 204. I've been looking for one myself lately, with the VSSF currently in first place. BTW All, a friend & I handled a Cooper last Sat for the first time & sorry to say we were UN-impressed. Extremely disappointed actually. Don't mean to offend any Cooper owners, but guess we were expecting more, especially after years of hipe on it.So with all that (book) said, my vote goes to the 204 caliber in CZ 557 Kevlar stocked varmint or a Howa, Savage, Ruger & probably others that I can't think of right now. Again, Remington is a favorite.Good Luck in Your Decision and let us know what you end up withFrank

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

You're going to end up shooting a lot more squirrels than coyotes so save yourself some money and buy the .223. I have ten of them as well as the others mentioned and a few others not. But my main squirrel and coyote guns are .223. Cheap ammo if you have to buy it and plenty of punch out to 300 yards easy on coyotes. If you want something to explode squirrels with buy Blackhills ammo loaded with 40 gr V-Max's. Or take up reloading and make your own. My reloads have no problem vaporizing dirt squirrels.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

I had a 700 VSSF in 308, sweet rifle for sure. I just bought my first Savage, it's a 12FV in 223. It's not as pretty as a Rem 700 for sure, but I plan on replacing the plastic stock with a laminate BVSS take-off stock or similar laminate stock in the next year. 223 is a good all around varmint gun.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

You're going to end up shooting a lot more squirrels than coyotes so save yourself some money and buy the .223.

+ 1

#14 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:17 AM

You're going to end up shooting a lot more squirrels than coyotes so save yourself some money and buy the .223

++1 :lol:

#15 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

Ok I am leaning toward the .223 but just got off the phone with a dealer out of Nevada and I can get a walnut stock and forend for my contender and a NIB .204 ruger Blued Bull Barrel for 280.00 including shipping I think it is going tobe hard to find a deal to beat this, I will just have my dad do my reloading for me Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

Nice! And no FFL needed is a bonus, too.

#17 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

That should work just fine :lol:

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

There is a T/C Encore 17 Remington barrel and scope on E-Bay that is brand new.The same guy has another in 223

#19 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Ok finally put enough money together to order my Barrel and stock for my contender and wen I call he guy the barrel had been sold :angry: and since they ae goign out of business no more in stock. I gues plan B I actually got a little extra$$ so I am goign to the gun shop in th emoring and see if I can squeek out a Savage FV in the .223 I will let you guy know if I get one. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#20 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:58 AM

Ok I am leaning toward the .223 but just got off the phone with a dealer out of Nevada and I can get a walnut stock and forend for my contender and a NIB .204 ruger Blued Bull Barrel for 280.00 including shipping I think it is going tobe hard to find a deal to beat this, I will just have my dad do my reloading for me Robert

Robert,I have a contender 23" bull barrel in .223. It's a great squirrel ans yote gun. You'll be hard pressed to find a better gun to carry for yotes. I shoot it with sticks. It is "deadly" :angry: on yotes with a 50g. spxp It liquifies the organs :angry: Ok a little graphic. Steve

#21 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

Fishwrestler:Have you called Ed at Eds Contenders.He usually has 23" .223 Barrels in stock for $190.00 NewWalnut butt stock and forend for $115.00 NewI have bought several item's from him, great guy, best price and fast delivery.His Contact Info.Ed1-405-879-0879 Office1-405-755-0393 HomeWeb Site www.edstc.comHis Web is down at the moment for reconstuction,But give him a call

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users