10 replies to this topic

#1 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hey guys just wondering if any of you bow hunters are using tree stands? Last year I climbed a tree without a stand and shot a coyote with my bow. It was kind of a balancing act holding the bow and trying to call. But now all I can think about is doing it again. So this year I orderd a tree stand to make things a little easier. Im still waiting for my stand to arrive it was on back order of course, but should be here by the end of the month. I hope to do alot of night calling from my new stand. Anyways if any of you guys have some treestand stories I would like to here them.

#2 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

I have hunted out of treestands before, but I don't do it on a regular basis. It is a great way to get up off the ground if you are calling in animals or you know known travel routes of animals. Be careful of some treestands they are not all created equal. Some stands are not the safest and with any stand you should wear a safety belt or harness. The higher up you go the better you can see off in the distance and it carries your scent farther before it falls back to the ground. The best stand that I have seen and used is the tree lounge. You can actually sleep in the stand and can climb a metal pole with it if necessary. Here is a linkhttp://www.treelounge.com/

#3 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info Tinhunter that tree stand is like a full on lazy boy its nice. The one I ordered is pretty much just a padded seat and a platform its not a climber either. Its the lone wolf assault I liked this one because it is supposed to be quiet and only weighs 8.5lbs. So if I need to hike it in some where with me I can.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

Haven't used one. Be careful and use all safety gear. They are the leading cause of hunting injuries and deaths in the US. Don't climb with your hunting gear. Use a haul line once you are up in the tree.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:58 AM

Make SURE you get a saftey harness.. I know a guy that fell and lets just say hes lucky he didnt break more of himself than he did....
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#6 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

The tree lounge isn't quite as light as 8.5 pounds, but you can add wheels to it to double as a gear cart or game cart. We usually add a padded belt to go around your waist when carrying it since it only comes with shoulder straps. The tree lounge is a lot like a lounge chair, I have fallen asleep in mine when the day is real slow. That is the one draw back to the lounge; with the pad it is very comfortable and you can fall asleep without fear of falling out.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

We called them tree :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: forts when I was a kid. Did used to shoot my BB gun from them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

MMMM if I put a tree stand in an almond tree I might be 4' off the ground. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I been thinking of just putting one on a telephone pole.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

I have been using a climbing stand for the last four years for both bow and rifle. I normally hunt in the mountians and am usually about 25ft off the ground. I have had deer, yotes and bears walk under my stand within 5 yards of me and never even knew I was in the tree. I normally set the stand on a tree about one week prior to the opening of deer season and put a cable lock on it at the base of tree and then I can leave it. I then come back in the night, unlock the cable and climb the tree. I will move my stand as hunting pressure dictates. I also have a pop-up blind that I set up and rotate between the two during the season and can move them when ever I need to.

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

I used a tree stand for a couple of seasons and liked it ok but someone liked it more than me. I went to my stand and found my cable lock cut and laying on the ground next to the tree. I did modify it a bit before useing it and know what I welded to it, so maybe someday I'll find my tree stand and give that person a suprise. Also in national forest I don't think you're aloud to leave them in the trees. That's what the ranger told me I did not look for the regs.

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

im hoping to get one, tring to save up one for now
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users