#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

From all I've read concensus is about 50-50....but never lube pellets used in springers....OK for PCP's,C02's...some claim better accuracy...others say it helps keep bore clean...I have not tried lubing pellets....but hear some FT shooters do.....??? My opinion is it would be very difficult to gauge the difference re accuracy...to many varibles...

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

I clean and dry them but truth is i lubed pellets and lightly lubed my Varmint hunter and did damage to it , sent it to rich in michigan and it is unreal such a fun gun to shoot

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

The only PCP that I don't shoot lubed pellets in is my .177 Disco. It shoots best with unlubed pellets. My .22 cal Disco is mediocre in the accuracy department unless I shoot lubed pellets in it, and then it shoots right along with my guns that cost four and five times more money.I try my guns both ways. If there is no difference between lubed and unlubed, I shoot lubed. I just like the idea of a bit of lube left in the barrel.I lube with the Napier brand POWER Pellet lube. The exception to this is when shooting the DYNAMIC tin pellets, and those things do not like to be lubed at all. My guns shoot them great dry.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

I and several people I know use this:http://www.straights...pelletlube.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:33 AM

I clicked that link, chose one bottle of lube $4.99, entered my zip code and found shipping was $11.49!!$4.99 +11.49 = $16.48I GOTTA SHOP AROUND!!!....or move closer :aggressive: I just have an issue paying over double the item price for shippingBTW, if I do find some, how are you lubing the pellets? I'm assuming you drop a few drops in the pellet tin and gently shake it some?Ron

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

Cheaper than Dirt had it on sale awhile back I bought a few bottles. Enough to last me several lifetimes. There a motorcycle and bike chain wax lube that works as well. I can't remember the name of it off of the top of my head. But if you did a quick search on the yellow forum you'd find it.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

The chain lube is KryTech. You can find it at bike shops. I paid $6.99 for four ounces.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Rod. :aggressive:

Time waits for no one--

#10 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Krytech I have plenty of...I'm an aging bicycle fanatic too.How much would you put in a 500 rd tin of pellets?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

Just a few drops is all you need. But don't put it into the tin of 500. I put a hundred or so in a separate tin and then let them roll around in it. In fact I put the little foam lid liners in a tin after oiling it. That way the pellets don't get banged up and have a soft surface to pick up the lube from.

Time waits for no one--

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

So what does lubing pellets gain in the long run...??? Just trying to understand the benifit as oposed to cleaning the barrel now and then for instance...???My Disco .22 shoots very good without lubing the pellets.....

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

It would probably shoot better if you lubed your pellets. There are several benefits to lubing. The biggest being improved accuracy.

Time waits for no one--

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

I've read where if you use Crosman Premiers,it is a good idea to lube them....but necessary with the softer JSB's...

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

It's best to try it and see. One thing if you lube your pellets don't expect higher velocities from the gun. But depending on the pellet your accuracy should improve. But before you make any accuracy tests I would suggest weighing your pellets and grouping them by weight. Then shoot your most accurate pellet and then lube some and try it again. Also only lube pellets for PCP's!

Time waits for no one--

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

Rich the lubing is really to keep your barrel from leading which will decrease your accuracy. Do you have to lube JSB and Kodiak pellets, NO as they are pure lead and don't cause the leading problems others do. But then in my mind I think soft lead and more leading. At least it used to work that way in my pistols when I cast bullets. I figure a little pellet lube, even some Pledge furniture polish works and it can't hurt. I still clean my barrels with a pull through patch.

Time waits for no one--

#17 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

Rich the lubing is really to keep your barrel from leading which will decrease your accuracy. Do you have to lube JSB and Kodiak pellets, NO as they are pure lead and don't cause the leading problems others do. But then in my mind I think soft lead and more leading. At least it used to work that way in my pistols when I cast bullets. I figure a little pellet lube, even some Pledge furniture polish works and it can't hurt. I still clean my barrels with a pull through patch.

I have some "Tri-Flow" dry lubricant (Similar to Krytech)....I have not tested this as my bench rest is a cheapie and need to set up a firmer rest to compare accuracy......but you are right, lubing pellets can't hurt and the barrel bore benefits...

#18 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

Over the years I haven't used lube of any kind. Now I wonder if I should on Big Bore's. I think that one of the biggest benifts is that your pellets don't oxidize if stored for a while. I'd like to hear more though. Good question.Terry
If you kill it eat it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users