11 replies to this topic

#1 RUM shooter

RUM shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys, I am really wanting to get into bowhunting. I just moved to a place out in the country where I have room to set up an area to practice. I am trying to figure out what a good "starter" bow would be. I am looking to spend around $500 on the setup. I am an avid hunter but have never had any hunting partners who bow hunted. That has recently changed when my good friend from Michigan moved out here. I am lost when looking at bows, rests, sights,....ect. I know that I want a parallel limb bow that shoots above 300 fps., beyond that I don't know much. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, by the way, I am lost when looking at broadheads also. Is there really that big a difference between them all?Thanks in advance for any advise you may have, ---Matt

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

The best advice is get to a pro shop that has a range. They can fit you for a bow and usually they'll let you try several different models in your price range. I took a buddy of mine over to Bowtech last week while he was up visiting me and got him hooked on bow hunting. He had never shot a bow in his life and ended up getting a Diamond "Rock" model, with a dozen arrows, release, wrist strap, stabilizer, peep sight, 6 arrow quick release quiver, and case for about $600. I gave him an old sight & rest that I had laying around or it would have been about an extra $80. The first guy to introduce me to bow hunting told me to stick with a single cam model since there is no worry of the cams being out of tune. His theory made sense to me so that's what I usually recommend. As for a target, forget the expensive "block" or bag targets. Get yourself several bales of hay and some paper poster-style targets. Other than that it's practice, practice, practice. Oh, and when you get tired be sure to set your bow down and come back later. Keep it fun or you'll lose interest. Good luck!
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

Hey Rum shooter go to an outfitter have them size you up. Shoot as many of there bows as you can see what you like the best and then look for it on ebay or classified adds. I found my bow like that almost new sights stabilizer arrow rest even a case for 500$ It was a hoyt vetrix. Just know what your looking for and good luck with the bow hunting its the best way to hunt!

#4 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

+1 for all that advice. To piggy back on what has been previously said, start with a low draw weight and then build up. If you shoot a fair bit, you will build up those muscles quick. I bought my bow in June and had it set at 45 lbs. I now shoot 57 lbs. Also if you set the bow to heavy, you can injure yourself.Since neither of them addressed your broadhead question, I'll take a stab at it. Take it for what it's worth since I am also a beginner but I've also shot a buck where my arrow barely penetrated and I ended up with a wounded deer. I would suggest the cut on contact heads. I use Magnus Stinger's per the suggestion of another member here. They are great. Fly just like my field points. I dang near shot through my target.Another thing to remember is getting the right arrows for your draw weight. Pro shop will help with that. I use a whisker buiscut rest and it works great. The arrow doesn't fall off which I heard the drop away rest sometimes have that problem. Only thing is, feathered fletching gets shredded after a shooting them a bit. I use a 3 pin sight as I am not comfortable past 40 yds. Some guys use 5 or even 7 pins. I don't know about Cali, but up here in WA an arrow has to weigh at least 6 grains per lb of draw weight, with a minumum of 300 grains. Look up any regulations.Hope this helps. Have fun and good luck!

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

Run over to golden arrow they know what thier talking abought . Theres should be others close buy not sure where . Vally has no one there now that realy knows stuff. same with bass pro. Why not check out traditional bows , thats what real bow{men} shoot :aggressive: . just funning. Get the best you can aford.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 RUM shooter

RUM shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Thanks guys, I'll let ya know what I decide on.

#7 RUM shooter

RUM shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Well, I finally made a decision and ended up buying a Reflex Growler. They are made by Hoyt, so I felt comfortable with the brand and it felt really good. (also, I got a screaming deal) I haven't got it set up yet but I'm really anxiuos to start practicing.

#8 RUM shooter

RUM shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Oh, by the way, I bought a whisker bisquit rest and a peep sight. I need to figure out which front sight would be best for standard hunting. I am a pretty good judge at yardage and want it to be simple, so I am looking at 3 pin sights. What do you guys use??

#9 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Nice looking buck at 53 yards and you have 3 pins (20,30,40) bummer. If you can practice enough to become proficient at shooting 40 yards you can extend that range to 50 or more. Throw 5 pins on there and get good enough to use them. Sooner or later you will be glad you did.I haven't bow hunted since '97 due to family obligations so can't give much advice on sights models as I'm sure things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. When I did bow hunt I learned the KISS principle early on. Gimmicks and flimsy stuff will get you at the worst time.
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#10 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

not a lot out there for 500.00 but i would give the new Bear bows a look they are real close to your price range.you may also consider buying a used bow for starters because you never know you may not like archery and you dont want to spend 500.00 or more on something you dont know if you like.i started with a used bow and the next year i bought a new Hoyt and that was 8 years ago. i enjoy archery very much and compete in the 3-D archery shoots here in northern ca. and hunt during the archery season.another thing most of your archery dealers may let you shoot a bow until you find one that fits you better than another and that helps their sales so you may try to shoot any that you are interested in.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#11 RUM shooter

RUM shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

You make a good point about using 5 pins. I completely realise that I will probably change half the accesories on the bow after I shoot it for a while and have a feel for what I like and don't like. Thanks for your opinion. pakinwood- I already bought a bow, but I appretiate your opinion. I almost did buy a Bear bow, but this bow seemed to fit me a little better.

#12 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

What a coincidence! I just got a Growler. Awesome bow. I have a Cobra DRM 5 pin on it and took 2 of the pins off til I get better at shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users