• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

I thought this might be an interesting topic to see how everyone got started in airgunning. I'll start and tell you a little bit about my first airgun. I was very pleased when I received my Daisy Model 25 for Christmas in 1958. I had been wanting a BB gun ever since my cousin got one. I couldn't keep my hands off of his Daisy and he didn't like to share. I don't know if you've ever watched the movie A Christmas Story, but that's how I felt about getting a Daisy. I would see the adds for my gun in my Boys Life magazine and hoped to have my own one day. The thrill of opening a tube of BB's and then gingerly feeding 50 of them into my guns removable magazine was just too much excitement. Followed by releasing the spring to feed them, I was now ready to go shooting. That was one of the best things about the Model 25. You got a for sure fifty shots without not having a BB miss feed and miss your target. Plus the Model 25's were the most powerful of the Daisy line at the time due to the pump action multiplying the force used to cock the guns spring. I can remember hunting birds and also just plinking tin cans which at the time the gun would easily pierce. Something the Red Ryder often couldn't do. The Model 25 also had a unique trick that none of the other BB guns could do. There is a large thumb screw in the middle of the gun that when removed allows the gun to be separated into two pieces. This was a very handy feature when I wanted to slip down to the creek to hunt birds and frogs. I wish I knew how many BB's I've feed through my gun. But I know those were some of the most fun times I ever had growing up. Now to prove to you I hate to get rid of guns. Here is my Daisy Model 25 in all of her glory. She's a little worn from years of use but she still shoots a mean BB.Attached File  1.jpg   22.71KB   5 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   21.29KB   5 downloads

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

Daisy Red Ryder. All real cowboys had one.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Actually Rod, more Model 25's were sold than Red Ryders. :bleh[1]: My dad had a 1936 Model 25 with wood grip and wood stock.

Time waits for no one--

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Although it was my Grandfathers, the first bb gun that I can remember shooting was a pump action that might have been an earlier version of the Daisy model 25. I remember feeding the bb's into the long tube magazine. He and I use to shot at a wooden post that was in his backyard and he was the first person to tell me about proper breath control before a shot. I was 7 or 8. Over the years we would break out that bb gun and have our little shooting contests. After he passed away I lost track of that gun but I sure wish I had it now for sentimental value. About 4 years ago I got interested in airguns after reading an article about hunting rabbits with them. I did my research and decided on a Theoben Eliminator in .25 cal. The first victims to fall to my Eliminator were some noisey crows in the neighborhood. WOW I was impressed with the way it knocked them dead. Since then I've been hooked and have added a number of other springer airguns to my growing collection. Like many of you on this forum I have recently added a Benjamin Discovery in .22 cal that I got from Mac 1. I have to say this is one sweet gun for the money. I have a Turkey hunt trip planed for later this month and I plan to use my Disco to get one.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Mine was a Daisy Red Ryder too. My folks told me I could have it if I earned the money to buy it. I know they were thinking that I could never pull it off. I was eleven at the time and I did all kinds of odd jobs to earn the money, but earn it I did. That gun was the meaning of life to me, right up until I discovered GIRLS a few years later. ;) :bleh[1]:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

My first bb gun was a daisy 1894 "spittin image" lever action. What I wouldn't give to have it back today.

#7 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

Early 60's Red Ryder. I shot it thousands of times. Killed every sparrow in the neighborhood. I learned many lessons with that gun. Shot myself in the foot not paying attention and had my finger on the trigger and when it went off it hit my tennis shoe and still hurt like hell! Payment for the windows I accidently shot out. There was this steel close line at the far end of the yard. About 25 yards and it was perfect to shoot at. Problem was those BB's just love to ricochet and bounce right into a window. Then I got the pump crossman and 10 pumps could tke a rabbit so I was much more careful. Except a couple of those BB/Pellet gun fights up in the hills. Suppose to only shot below the waist. LOL Yeah not when someone is pointing a pistol at you ready to fire. Yeap, shot Tommy right off the cliff into the stream 30 foot down going through trees and everything else. I thought I killed him. Ran anound to see if he was ok as he was getting up saying "You weren't suppose to shot above the waist. Well I did a hip shot to get the first shot and it conected. As I'm looking at this pellet stuck in his temple area. Ended the pellet gun fights. Funny now when I think how crazy we were as kids. We always had respect for guns and didn't point them or hold them wrong. Anybody doing so would get yelled at by me or someone else. We were teenagers and was a bit reckless at times.You know when I think how many thousands of BB's I shot and those tubes you talk about. I remember it like it was yesterday. 1 tube of BB's meant lots of fun it the back yard. And yes I'm safe to hunt with! LOL
If you kill it eat it!

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hey did any of you guys with the lever guns ever pull the trigger when the gun was cocked but the lever wasn't closed. When you pulled the trigger the lever would slam shut on your fingers. For some strange reason, I only did that once, but I am a quick learner. Especially if pain is involved. :bleh[1]:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#9 socalkid

socalkid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

Daisy Red Ryder here too

#10 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:09 PM

Hey did any of you guys with the lever guns ever pull the trigger when the gun was cocked but the lever wasn't closed. When you pulled the trigger the lever would slam shut on your fingers. For some strange reason, I only did that once, but I am a quick learner. Especially if pain is involved. :bleh[1]:

Yeah I have. Remembered when you mentioned it. Also, how about shooting the tube out of the gun. The front would get loose and the whole front end came flying out. Good times! Except that getting pinched part. ;)
If you kill it eat it!

#11 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

Cliff, That finger thing was something that most of us had to learn the hard way.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

Plus one on the Daisy Red Ryder and the open lever finger smash. :bleh[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

My first airgun was purchased last May.....never had one before.......when I was 12 my dad gave me a Ben Pearson 35 LB long bow...it was fun hunting jackrabbits in New Mexico, but not fun sometimes chasing them down to get my arrow back....LOL...

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Remember it, I still have a scare across my little finger where that lever tried to chop my finger in half. I'll get the wife to take a photo of my war injury when I get home today. I was wrestling with a friend as to who was going to shoot the gun when he reached in and pulled the trigger. It sure took the fun out of shooting for awhile. :two-cents:

Time waits for no one--

#15 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

Remember it, I still have a scare across my little finger where that lever tried to chop my finger in half. I'll get the wife to take a photo of my war injury when I get home today. I was wrestling with a friend as to who was going to shoot the gun when he reached in and pulled the trigger. It sure took the fun out of shooting for awhile. :doh[1]:

I was a little more fortunate when I did it, I had a full four finger grip on the gun, and when that lever slammed down the load was spread across all four fingers. It did however, take my breath away for a few minutes, and I had absolutely no desire to try it a second time. :two-cents: :bleh[1]:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

Well my little finger took the full squeeze when that lever slammed down and it split my finger in half.almost removing the outside portion of it. I never liked that kid again. In fact I may have used a bb gun on him a few times after that but I don't remember for sure. I think the pain blocked my memories of it. :two-cents: :bleh[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#17 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

I first shot a BB gun at 8 in 1970 it was my friends it was a red ryder i wasn't really impressed because my older cousin was killing stuff easy with my wrist rocket and ball bearings 1/4 inch steel you got strong pulling that rubber back watching him . Squierrles rabbits and birds were taken we where lucky back then everyone around hunted and there was 4 acres of open property behind my house up until i was 16 when we moved . At 10 i got my first airgun a 10 pump crosman 760. it was nice .177 cal and i only shot pellets . I also saved for a better gun after many fun hunts in my yard i bought a .22cal crosman 766 pellet only and it was with me until last yr it just was tired so i threw it away .It was in good exterior shape didn't have any juice left little did i know it could be rebuilt i took many varmints with it . Now a year removed from buying my Gamo VHunter i have 3 total 2 pcp's and i'am back in the 70's and love looking back . We had 4 of us with pelly guns 2 brothers with 760's my 766 and my buddy had the 8 pump benjaiman we killed alot of stuff and had alot of fun . At 14 i got a shotgun 20G HnR and we drove to hunt small game still my first love was pellets the thrill of one shot at limited power having to stalk was the fun part and i didn't have to wait for dad .

#18 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:10 AM

A Sherridan Blue Streek .20 cal. Had it for over 20 years. Sold it to a friend and wanted it back. He would not sell it to me. I bought a newer one for the wife, and found another one at a local gunshop. Kept it for a few years and a co-worker borrowed it and really like it. Sold it to him. Still have the new model. It just does not have the feel of the old saddle model.

#19 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hey did any of you guys with the lever guns ever pull the trigger when the gun was cocked but the lever wasn't closed. When you pulled the trigger the lever would slam shut on your fingers. For some strange reason, I only did that once, but I am a quick learner. Especially if pain is involved. :smiley_kewlpics:

The lever was mine as well. And yes, I'll verify the fact it slaps back very quickly. :roflmao3[1]: db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users