#1 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

Anyone using a the Dillon? Any tips, likes or dislikes?? I just got one from Larry and just want to hear feedback. Thanks Scott

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

I think Shooter John does, and perhaps maybe NVWalt had/has one?What calibers are you set up to load with it?

#3 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

No 550B here..... I do have a friend that runs one though and says its all he'll ever use now.I have a 650, but not being used, currently getting nice and dusty :(Just waiting for my son to get older, I just don't feel comfortable storing supplies with him playing in the garage at times. I know I can lock it up, but its just something I opt to do right now.I do store live ammo. Go figure??? :rolleyes:

#4 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Yes I have a Dillon 550B and use it for all my pistol Reloading,love it.I still load all rifle cartridges 1 at a time the old way with a rock chucker.Old habits die hard! :rolleyes:

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

I've never had my hands on a 550B, does it allow you to measure the charges one at a time for those rifle loads?

#6 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

Im gonna set it up for 204 and 223 for now. More in the future if I like it. You can get a funnel die that you can use to drop powder that has been measured. You can also set up different heads. One for prep and the other for loading. They are very versatile from what I have read. Looking forward to getting them up and running. Scott

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yeah Scott I have two of them. I don't use them as much as I did a couple years ago but they are fine machines. It's changing the calibers that is time consuming. But they load fairly accurately I just have gotten into more precise reloading and they are not made to do that. But they will pump out above average rounds fast. The problem with them is you can't prep your cases well enough for my taste. Because the shell is locked in it deprimes, full length resizes, re-primes, charges and seats the bullet. But I didn't get to uniform the primer pocket. Size and de-burr the flash hole. Anneal and trim the case while chamfering the inside and outside of the neck. Then neck ream the case. There are pluses and minuses so as I said yes I have two. :(

#8 One Eye!

One Eye!

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Shooting,Fishing, Riding ATV's

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

I have the 550!Love the thing! Most use is for pistol & for milatary ammo. If your not looking for pinpoint shooting this is the reloader to use!Its fast + or - 2 tenths on powder charge (ball or flake and the newer SC cuts) and when you go into mass production nothing compares!They say you can get 550 rounds an hour. I get around 300 but its not a race. I use it on 308,7.62x39,30carbine,223,all pistols. with the SC (short cut) powders ive been able to use it in the 22-250 6.5BR 243, 17rem and still get 1" to 11/2" accuracy. which is all Ok for me since I just like to pull the trigger! Ive had it for around 20 years and had almost no trouble out of it. Around 30,000 rounds thru it?The only problems where mine. I didnt clean the bottom of the primer carrier and it would get sticky.GREAT MACHINE!!

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

I have the 450B. I haven't converted it to 550 yet. I have it set up for 223 to feed the AR type rifle.

#10 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

I use a 550B and let me tell you I love this thing. I started fresh on this press, a complete newbie, loading over 100/hour of 223. Now I can load close to 400/hour. MY 223 load is as follows25.9gr Varget50gr Blitzking molyWinchester Small Rifle Magnum PrimerInsane vaporization of the target. I have taken pigs, squirrels, bunnies, beavers, a yote (one of my finest shots ever, and my only confirmed yote), and many other small fuzzy animals, I have never had anything that was hit that survived. I have hit a couple sage rats high on the back and v notched their spines while they do a wheelchair race for the hole, but thats not common.I am very picky, and it took me a long time to settle on the dillon, and let me tell you this thing rocks. I bought it from proxarms.com for a good price, and the guy is super cool. Helped me alot and will give good advice to the newbies.

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

I have had my 550B for about nine years now and I love it. I used to load pistol ammo exclusively (500+ rounds per hour) but now I use it for my rifle ammo. I don't use it as a progressive loader when loading rifle ammo because I weigh my charges using my electronic scale. All other functions are done on the 550 though. I use reasonably priced Lee dies and I get excelleent accuracy. Dillon is number one for customer service too. It is a very well made machine that keeps on working.

#12 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

I have had my 550B for about nine years now and I love it. I used to load pistol ammo exclusively (500+ rounds per hour) but now I use it for my rifle ammo. I don't use it as a progressive loader when loading rifle ammo because I weigh my charges using my electronic scale. All other functions are done on the 550 though. I use reasonably priced Lee dies and I get excelleent accuracy. Dillon is number one for customer service too. It is a very well made machine that keeps on working.

Desert dog, The only problem I have with my 550 is primer feeding. Quite regularly I will get upside down primers, on the side, or just a little crooked, it takes alot of time to watch for these, and slows me down quite a bit. Do you have any hints or experience with this. I am using the small primer tooling, the correct feed tube, and I have adjusted the primer tooling height to be in spec. Hints? Help?

#13 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

I too own a Dillon 550 B. It produces very good quality ammo for a progressive reloader. Mike Dillon has a no BS warranty. I have had mine about 15 years. What few components I have needed to replace over the years were sent to me free of charge. If your looking for benchrest quality, that is usually done with a different set of toys that come from places like Russ Haydon or Bruno Shooter Supply. If your not already on Dillons mailing list give them a call and get them to send you their Blue Press flyer... Even if you don't need anything the front cover picture is usually very pleasing to the eye. lol :lol: Happy Hunting,rickP. S. If your having any trouble with your Dillon give them a call @ 800-762-3845. They have always been very helpful to me even if I didn't purchase it new. I have not experienced upside down primer problems like you indicate; I have mine on a solid bench and use a low primer indicator which puts pressure on the primer column and MAYBE helps keep primers from flipping inside the primer tube due to excess jarring????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users