• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Received the Sumatra on Thursday 11/6/08 from Straight Shooters. It was very well packed in the case that they sell for the shipping, the box the Doskocil case came in and a super duty cardboard outer box. There was no ripping the box apart it was a little too sturdy for that. First impression of fit and finish was very favorable. The wood looks very much like walnut, has a warm brown color with very straight grain. The checkering is neat and precise but, is not traditional checkering, looks laser cut. It is functional as it provides a better grip than the plain stock areas. There were some small blemishes in the black finish around the scene on the action. The external finish on all other areas of the metal was excellent. The three stacked tubes look a little strange and will probably turn some people off but, you have to store the air someplace. The 2500 500 cc in the nomenclature is due to the increase in reservoir capacity from 350 cc to 500 cc for more shots.

Attached File  sumatra_pic.jpg   75.79KB   61 downloads

After fondling the new toy for some time I pulled it up to check out the iron sights. I pulled it up, twisted my head, adjusted my glasses, tried everything that seemed reasonable and could not get the sights lined up properly. The high comb on the stock absolutely prevented it from happening. Perhaps someone else can make it work but, not I. The 2500 Carbine apparently has a rear stock with a lower comb which may work. With the 2500 and the 2500 500 cc it seems to be scopes only. Good place to mention that the 2500 500 cc has an adjustable comb height, I find a good fit, for scope use, with it in the lowest position.Two probes are shipped with the gun to allow filling the reservoir from different air sources. Straight Shooters provided an adapter to allow the use of a Benjamin Discovery pump with the Eun Jin gun. When I started to assemble the probe and the adapter the threads would engage but only allow a half turn before becoming impossible to finger turn. With my luck if I just put wrenches on there will be a wrong part and I will ruin the parts, so wait till Friday AM and call. Kevin says they don't remember the answer to that question as they only assembled one set of stuff for testing. But they told me to put the wrench to my parts and they would start testing and shipping replacements just in case. :roflmao3[1]: So the end of that was they didn't have to ship replacements and I started pumping.And pumping and pumping. Gotta stop pumping and drive to the foothills for woodcutting and target proctice. Get done driving and drag the Sumatra out for a couple of shots using 2000 psi. Hit the pine cone at 15 yds without adjusting the scope. Back to pumping. I'm determined to get up to 3000 psi. When I take a break and bleed the air out of the pump & hose it then takes about 20 strokes to get the pressure in the hose back up to the pressure that will force more air into the reservoir. As the pressure gets past 2500 psi my scrawny 170# self has to bounce on the pump handle to force air into the reservoir. Finally, 3000 psi!! Shoot about 12 shots and tweak the scope some. Have vowed not to let the pressure get too low. Have also vowed to get a tank setup before Cedarville or Wyoming. ;) Shooting is more fun than pumping! Except I kept thinking about squirting that hard earned air out the end of the barrel. :014: Shot two six shot groups with some old Wasp pellets. Made scope adjustments between groups yet, groups overlaid each other. First shot was close to point of aim yet subsequent shots shifted to right. Retightened mounts for next trial. Groups were shot at 38 yds.

Attached File  first_sumatra_group.jpg   47.4KB   42 downloads

Will try to get cylinder aligned better before first shot and use new pellets for next groups.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

I'll admit, it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen - but it's not always a beauty contest. Nice writeup!

#3 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

Good Looking Gun!I like the design, my dad made a living after he retired buying and selling pre 1900 Winchesters and Colts. I love the lever action look.Thanks for pics and especially good description...I don't have a pump but, am going to buy one as my property is way too far away to get air, and a small bottle wont last long enough and I spend sometimes whole weekends out in the boonies where the nearest fill station is at least an hour away. I figure a pump, along with my scuba tank will get me through a weekend, especially if I am a mile from my truck and I am plinking away.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

Great description of your newest toy Gary.

Shooting is more fun than pumping!

That about says it all right there. You need a tank! Definitely try the new pellets, they'll make a big difference. Especially if you got JSB pellets. How is the report from your gun? I can't wait to hear how your introduction to adult airguns goes. They're just fun, unless you pass out from pumping that is. ;)

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

I think they are kind of cool looking in an unorthodox sort of way. Like John said, do try some JSB pellets in it. PUMP!!!! BANISH THE THOUGHT! Especially to 3000 psi. 2000 I could do, but 3000psi, fugetaboutit. I'd hire a high school kid to do that for me. That is just too much like work. Not to mention that my heart rate would be so elevated I wouldn't be able to hit anyrthing. ;)

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

Cliff, I wouldn't be able to see anything to shoot at after pumping that hard. ;)

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

Was involved in some light woodwork today.

Attached File  light_woodwork.jpg   131.31KB   27 downloads

After that was over for the day my friend and I shot a few groups with the Sumatra.

Attached File  2nd_sumatra_group.jpg   51.16KB   27 downloads

This was the best group shot with the Eun Jin 28 gr pellet with the gun on high power setting. The four groups that we shot averaged 0.89" at a range of 38 yd. We shot a total of 27 rds and the pressure dropped from 3000 to 2500 psi. The POI did not seem to change excessively with the drop in pressure. The wandering scope settings of yesterday seemed to have been solved as the POI accurately tracked the adjustments of the scope.My wood working friend tried pumping the Sumatra up to it's 3000 psi capacity. He gave it up at about 2700 psi. :DEdit: 11/09/08 4:52 PMMore groups using the Beeman Kodiak on the low power setting.

Attached File  3rd_Sumatra_Group.jpg   30.7KB   27 downloads

Guys, I will try those JSB pellets, have some in the Straight Shooter Sample Pack. Just want to get familar with the gun and get it sighted in first. Also want to have the Chrono available for the testing sessions.:bleh[1]:

#8 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

A17, you need to invest in a tank. I went to Sport Chalet and they have the 100cf tanks for about $150. $5 to fill the tank. I have the tank filled to 3000psi, and shooting the lighter pellets at 950 fps, I get 40 or so shots from a fill. I get well over 20 fills from the tank. I don`t let the gun psi get below 14bar. I carry my tank with me if I am doing a lot of shooting. I am not a young buck anymore and the tank makes life and shooting much much more enjoyable.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

I was bummed until I found Sports Chalet and their $5 fills. I almost had to bite the bullet and buy a compressor. But they fill my 4500 psi tanks no problem. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

I top my tank off every ten shots. I don't shoot that many times when I am out after jacks anyway. The Logun pump I have only takes 20 or so pumps to top it off. I have the Sumatra with the 400cc chambers. It doesn't take as long as the extra 100cc of the 500cc model.db

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Did some chrono work last weekend with the Sumatra. Fired (aired?) 30 shots without repumping the gun. Started with the low power setting, using the Beeman Kodiak & the Eiu Jin 28 gr dome pellets. The low power setting wasn't giving acceptable groups, so the switch to high power was obvious. The link below will take you to the charts that show the grouping & velocity the rifle provides.Sumatra resultsHope this is of some value to those of you thinking PCP for Xmas. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Edited by A17Shooter, 25 November 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

That a nice looking chart you put together Gary. You need to try some JSB's. You can never have too many pellets! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

That a nice looking chart you put together Gary. You need to try some JSB's. You can never have too many pellets! :rolleyes:

I live on a steep slope, John. Afraid that if I load the garage with anymore lead it might move to the bottom of the hill. :signs1180lq: For the continuing report on the Sumatra. Am working my way through the various 22 pellets in the Straight Shooters sample pack. Of note was the JSB Straton which was dropped from consideration. Then the Beeman Kodiak which continued to produce acceptable grouping. The JSB Exact produced a nice group at around 3/4". The surprise for me was the JSB Predator with a sub half inch group. If you're not familiar with the Predator, check the pic below. These group tests were all shot at 50 yds using the Sumatra's high power setting. There was a pellet labeled as 'Long Range Lead Free', it is encumbered with a plastic skirt and produced about a 6" group.

Attached File  beeman_kodiak_grp.jpg   43.64KB   27 downloadsKodiak GroupAttached File  jsb_exact_grp.jpg   42.9KB   24 downloadsJSB Exact GroupAttached File  jsb_predator_grp.jpg   64.09KB   24 downloadsJSB Predator GroupAttached File  jsb_predator_pellet.jpg   46.66KB   21 downloadsJSB Predator PelletI guess that JSB figured that if Hornady & Nosler could have a polymer tip, they could too.Surprised me that it produced that nice group. :roflmao3[1]:

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

That's a great group from the Predator's. I've never had good luck with them at distance. They're actually made by Polymag not JSB. http://www.predatorpellets.com/

#15 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hmm, I just assumed that the guys at Straight Shooters knew what they were doing when they labeled the sample box. Foolish me! :roflmao3[1]:Edit - The picture of the tin for these pellets at Straight Shooters web site shows a JSB label. Also at Air Gun Warehouse. Looks like rebranding of JSB stuff.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

I have one of those packs too. What can I say.

#17 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

It's always nice to see another satisfied Korean gun owner! Those guns are a great value for the money spent.Have you head-shot a sqwerl with one of those Predator's yet? I've seen video of one of those things doing some amazing stuff with a squirrel's head. I'm going to get one of those 500cc Sumatra's sometime down the road, but in .25 caliber. Can't wait to shoot some 55grainers out of it! If they are accurate, I'll try to get the rifle tuned to shoot them exclusively if needed. Should be around 115fpe give or take a few!Can't wait for my own 500cc Sumatra!

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hey Gary Straight Shooters is smarter than I am.There are Polymag PredatorsAttached File  polymag.jpg   31.52KB   20 downloadsand then there are JSB PredatorsAttached File  jsb_predators.jpg   36.12KB   15 downloads :smiley-sorry:

#19 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Those predator pellets look suspiciously alike! I have a few left will try another couple of groups to see if they are a 'one group wonder pellet'. :signs1180lq:

#20 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:16 AM

Lead bases are produced by the very highly rated airgun pellet manufacturer JSB in Czechoslovakia and the polymer tips are applied by Predator International in Hungary.I have not tried them simply because of the cost and to many reviews quetioning accuracy beyond say 30 yards....

#21 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

I've shot the Predators through a number of my airguns and have found them to group very nice out to about 35 yards. I have taken rabbits, crows and squirrels at that range with them. I find them to be way more accurate than any other type of holowpoint pellet (including Beeman Crowmagnums). Until I shot the predators, I was of the opinion that hollowpoints and airguns don't mix. In every situation were I have used the predators, they were body shots and stoned the critters cold.

#22 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Agree on hollowpoints..I tried some...ok for short range stuff......but i'm having no issues using Domes at longer ranges especially JSB's...and just stocked up so if I ever get around to the Predators,it will be awhile...I hear though that they work good in springers.....I took a squirrel once at 47 yards off the top of a fence post...(Disco 22 JSB 14.3 gr)....hit him in the shoulder and he fell limp 5 feet to the ground and was DOA...no wiggles,nothing....the pellet went right thru his lungs/heart and out the other side..no bleeding....ever since then I've been sold on the domes...

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

I was never able to get the Predators to shoot what I considered acceptable past 30 yards. So I've stayed with the domed pellets too. Anything pointy or hollowed out just doesn't fly straight very far for me.

#24 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

OK this is a follow-up on the predator pellets and an illustration of the need to re-season the barrel after cleaning. On 12/06 shot the predators after cleaning and the group was over 2" at 50 yds. Saved the few predator pellets I had left from the sample pack and shot four six shot groups of Kodiaks. Back to the last cylinder full of JSB Predator Pellets, was going well until shot #5 went almost 3/4" out of the group. Shot six came back into the group as 1.323" for all six shots and .682" for five with the flyer thrown out. All shots on the picture were done with the Sumatra on the high power settting. The pellets were not sorted for weight as I was down to the last 7 pellets, of the sample pack, when I started shooting on 12/08. If the pellets had been sorted by weight they might have done better. Should be getting my resupply of pellets tomorrow. Also have tanks on order. One used 88 C.F., a hose/adapter assembly & a 66 C.F. tank, used, with only a couple of years until expiration. My experiences with that effort will go to a new thread, while the pellet tests continue here as long as people are interested.

Attached File  first_dec_08_grps.jpg   50.09KB   26 downloads

Almost forgot the picture! :roflmao3[1]:

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

That's great info for people Gary. Thanks for taking the time to post it along with the picture you almost forgot. What pellets are you waiting to get? I ordered some JSB's a month ago and they supposedly won't arrive at the dealer until January 26, 2009. :roflmao3[1]: So I've been searching and picking up some here and there. I really like those JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr pellets. They shoot very well and really put the knock down on my airgun silhouette targets.

#26 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

John, Ordered pellets from Straight Shooters. If UPS delivers them today, it will be about a 10 day turn around. List follows:B-3088 Silver Arrow 22 - $8.35Ordered: 2Shipped: 2B-3250 Kodiak 22 - $7.60Ordered: 4Shipped: 4B-33060 Silver Ace 22 - $10.60Ordered: 2Shipped: 2JSB-Exact-22-Hvy JSB Exact 22 Heavy - $15.00Ordered: 2Shipped: 2JSB-Exact-22 Exact 22 - $9.75Ordered: 2Shipped: 2JSB-Predator-22 JSB Predator Pellets .22 - $11.75Ordered: 2Shipped: 2Basically, I concentrated on the heavier pellets as they seem to work best in the Sumatra. Also likes the ones with the extra rings just back of the dome.

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

That looks like a good mix of pellets. I'm sure you'll find at least one that your gun really likes.

#28 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Re Predators...I've read much on different forums and user comments are very useful...one characteristic about these pellets that stands out is the damage they do at impact...seems they tear up bone/flesh whereas domes penetrate better in contrast without as much damage....but accuracy still is debated...it may be the differences in power (FPS) that affect accuracy...or the points are not exactly centered....thus causing some flyers...???One thing I would suggest is compare the Predator .22 cal skirt diameter to that of the JSB .22's.....I found the JSB skirt diameters larger than Crosman Premiers for instance......(The JSB's fit tighter in the breech....and were more accurate)..I have not found yet what the predator skirt diameters are yet....

#29 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

I have not found yet what the predator skirt diameters are yet....

The one predator pellet I have left measures .224". Which corresponds very closely to other JSB pellets listed on Straight Shooters website.Link to Straight Shooters Pellet Comparison TableThey don't have the Predator in their table listing.

#30 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ok...that is a plus....(I use SS pellet compaison occasionally)....flyers could then be weight differences...or the pointed end not centered exactly...but also, high FPS could send them off trajectory.. on my next pellet order,I'll get some and test in both my 22's....(Springer,PCP)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users