• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

Managed to accomplish my final goal in the Sumatra project. After all, squirrel shooting and other small game hunting was my objective. OrneryOlMoFo357 invited me on a coyote/squirrel workout and I brought the Sumatra and a tank for the squirrels. Probably some of you have questioned the use of an airgun alongside firearms on a CA ground squirrel colony. After all, the range gets out past 200 yds pretty quickly and an airgun does limit your range compared to a 223.We went to a ridge that offered 360 degree squirrel shooting and the evolution started slowly as these squirrels knew the license plates on the Suburban and Bronco. :D I practiced on small rocks while Ornery worked on his long range shots. Then a few squirrels started showing up and and were lased at acceptable, but long ranges. One guy kept showing up and the shots threw dirt on it but, didn't connect at the 70 yd range. So the rock shooting continued, while working on where to hold. Then the 70 yd squirrel appeared and was standing up like a picket pin. The Sumatra cracked and down went the squirrel!

Attached File  Sumatra_1st_Blood.jpg   57.43KB   25 downloadsHere's the pic of Sumatra's first blood. The shot was taken from a folding bench.Attached File  Sumatra_1st_Bld_detail.jpg   51.19KB   24 downloadsA little wound detail. Didn't actually find the entrance & exit holes.Attached File  SumatraTrophyPose.jpg   72.56KB   21 downloadsHere's the traditional trophy pose. <_<

Being pleased with the gun at this point I put it away and dragged out the powder guns. NOT!! Of course I continued air gunning, they were coming out for their afternoon feeding and I had some sight data fresh in my head. Next was a 35 yd shot that had a lot of luck involved. Took the shot while leaning against a tree and ricocheted into the squirrel.

Attached File  Sumatra_2nd_Blood.jpg   75.27KB   20 downloads

Continuing with the Sumatra, I got the shooting sticks out and started working a patch of squirrels that were out at about 80 - 150 yds. This seemed to be a good place to give the gun a good long range workout. Tried a 93 yard shot, with about 18" of holdover, and it resulted in a great acrobatic show starting with a 12" leap straight up and a 360 back flip. No blood and the squirrel didn't give me a second chance. Doubled the holdover on a 120 yd shot and hit about two feet low. Decided it would be better to hit another one, rather than keep doing these hail mary shots. :D Laser said 83, that seemed reasonable. Increased the holdover from the 70 yd shot and let fly. Apparently a midbody spine shot, the squirrel started doing a front leg crawl. Squirrel stopped about a foot from a hole and the third shot seemed to be a chest cavity hit. Yes there was a miss between one and three. :D Squirrel seems to be anchored and dying, with the fourth shot it waved a goodbye and laid it's head down. This seems to tell me that I need a mildot scope to take some of the guess work out of this airgun squirrel sniping.

Attached File  Sumatra_3rd_Blood.jpg   104.25KB   21 downloadsThe funny color is probably due to the cell phone battery being on it's last legs and/or the low angle of the sun. With three hits on this squirrel there was no visible blood.

Additional Details:The pellet used on this expedition was the Eun Jin 28 gr Dome. It seems to be high on the Sumatra's favored list. Using a ballistic program show that the 35 yd shot was 844 fps with 44 fpe, the 70 yd shot was 758 fps with 36 fpe and the 83 yd shot was 730 fps with 33 fpe. The 35 yd shot should require a hold under of .6", the 70 shot a hold over of 3.1" and the 83 yd shot a hold over of 5.4" according to the ballistic program.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#32 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

Gary I'm glad to see you got some blood and real world testing done with your NEW gun. Great pictures and description as I would expect from you. Those pellets put the hurt on those guys. I would agree a mildot is indeed a great help for the longer shots as guessing just isn't always an option. Thanks for sharing it sounded like a fun time.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#33 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:04 AM

Good shooting...!! I did same thing (shooting rocks in field for reference untill I got the Mil Dot scope).Now,shooting with the Mil Dot has made longer shots much easier. (I tape a range card to my stock for quick reference.) I'm working on a card that will compensate for inclines to 30 degrees....a quick way around that is knowing vertical height of target above your shooting position...just subtract that from your lasered range for actual range (trajectory)......works on either up or down inclines..Example: Disco .22 (This works for level shots out to 70 yards)Posted Image

#34 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Great report on the Sumatra, glad your enjoying it. My .25 cal thumper should be in my hands this week. Can't wait!

"Every Day Is My Friday"

#35 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

DagoRich,Glad you enjoyed the writeup. Just got the Sumatra zeroed today with a Mil Dot scope. Hope that helps find the range on those ground squirrels.Hope your 25 is a winner. Please give us some reports on your air gun experiences.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#36 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

A17Glad ya got her sighted in. What scope are you using?

"Every Day Is My Friday"

#37 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

The 6.5 - 20X Simmons Whitetail Classic Mil Dot. It's on perpetual sale at MidWay & works well for me. The scope has the Mil Dot reticle in the second focal plane as most of the cheaper scope seem to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users