5 replies to this topic

#1 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

A freind had his house broken into Wednesday, he had at least 18 guns stolen.He lives in a very rural area and there only about 5 pawnshops that are within an hour drive.One problem is, even if he sees his guns at a pawn shop, he cannot prove they are his. He did not have the serial numbers copied... not that having the serial numbers is fool proof. Anyone can come in to a pawn shop, copy the serial number off a gun and come back a couple days later and state that its his gun that was stolen. There should be a federal record of every gun you buy but, how easy it is to retrieve that info...I don't know.My dad told me a trick one and I still do it.I also have all the serail numbers copied and, I remove the buttstock recoil pad and place a piece of paper with my name and address, or date of birth under the buttstock and screw it back down.That way if you are cruising a gun show somewhere and see a gun lying on a table that you know is yours, you can call the local police and have a leg to stand on when trying to prove ownership and get it back.Always call the police if a gun is stolen, you need to have it on record that it was stolen if you ever want to have a chance at getting it back.JMO,Ron

#2 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Did your friend file a Police report? At least in CA a pawn ticket is filled out on each gun a copy is sent to the local Police dept then in 30 day’s they can sell the gun oh they also have to have a current valid ID and have to put the thumb print on the formSo he never made a list for his home owners insurance?

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

Wow that sux! That's a pretty neat idea about hiding your info under the pad, pretty sneaky. I keep a dealer bound book and log everything. I also have all my original paperwork and receipts for every gun purchased, however, if someone get's into the safe it will probably disappear too... :(I don't have mine listed on HOI. I was shopping for HOI and one agent asked me if I had any firearms on the property, more along the lines of a liability question. The conversation didn't get too much farther. The less any agency knows the better I feel :bleh[1]:

#4 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

Did your friend have a gun safe? I bought one because I would not be able to replace the guns if stolen. Yes I have home owners insurance.

#5 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

The only gun safe he had was a big Bluetick hound, who's chain was too short to reach the door they backed their truck up to.The break ins in his area have pretty heavy..mostly someone randomly knocking on farm house doors and if no answer..back the truck up and kick the door inThat is one good thing I guess about my new house..I have two neighbors fairly close that have "stay at home moms " around 99% of the time.My old house had a 200 yd long driveway and no neighbors close by...I did have a 115 lb. shepherd keeping an eye on things. My neighbors had their barns broke into..nobody bothered my stuff.

#6 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Some time ago a family friend had the same thought that there place was fine with the German Shepherd they came home to walls hacked up in the house ransacked as for the dog they took him out as well If you like what you have locked it up in a safe and Bolt it down so it won’t be carried off to be opened laterI had all mine stolen in 1984 I was lucky Insurance paid off as I had them appraised and the serial # to hand the officer I purchased a safe for the replacements we had 3 LEO's living on the street at time it didn’t stop them oh and my puppy was chained up was lucky they didn’t hurt her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users