#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

Finally got to go out and verify my calculated range card data for my Disco .22 cal at 70 yards. My goal was to shoot 1st shot without any vertical holdover just to see where hit would be on target and measure POI drop. Then next 3 shots adjust by trying different holds without using my range card. Wind was gusting 15 -20 mph left to right. (All shots were made between wind gusts using JSB xpress 14.3 gr)I was sitting shooting with sniper sticks......Used my Nikon Range finder to set target distance...Shot one: No holdover...POA RED dot and shot low by 4.75"...(Calculated data indicated -5.806" ). Difference being I was shooting slightly downhill at about 20 degrees. Shot 2: Holdover 1 Mil Dot...Shot 3: Holdover 1.5 Mil Dots (Wind picked up slightly)Shot 4: Holdover about 2.5- 3 Mil Dots....(Calculated data indicated 2.3 Mil Dots) (Light breeze)Posted ImageMy calculated Range Card data...Posted ImageHere is a peak thru my CenterPoint 4x16x40 mil dot scope...range 62 yards (on some squirrel rocks). I'm really impressed with this cheap scope....although some mil dot holds are tough depending on background...it has an illuminated reticle...red/green...but I rarely use that function...Posted ImageMy next trip will be to verify data using 16 gr pellets...

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

I find what you did to be very interesting. However, it seems to me, if you are interested in knowing what that scope will really do, you should shoot on an absolutely calm day, and be shooting level. And you should shoot a group for each different situation. JMO
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

I find what you did to be very interesting. However, it seems to me, if you are interested in knowing what that scope will really do, you should shoot on an absolutely calm day, and be shooting level. And you should shoot a group for each different situation. JMO

That is my my plan for some "benchmarking" later.....for now,I'm testing in field conditions as hunting I have no choices re conditions as such....the scope is adequate for the job...it is all the other varibles I'm trying to cope with...and I'm working off a 20 yard zero.....indications are,this Disco can shoot 1" groups at 70 yards....that in itself says alot about the accuracy of this rifle...

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the data. It seems from everyones feedback on shooting their Disco's (myself included) that the JSB 14.3gr. pellets are the best pellet combo for the gun.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

I have some heavier pellets coming next week..(JSB Dome 15.8 & AA Dome 16 gr)...going to test those then shoot some groups...I've tried out the Beeman Silver Bears (Hollow points) but they get unstable out around 40 +yards..so I won't even mess with pointed pellets...These JSB's are very accurate and are a very good all around "hunting" pellet IMO...and the JSB's work good in all three of my air rifles...

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

I'm curious, have you tried the JSB Predator pellets in your Disco? I found that my Disco shoots them resonably well out to about 30 yards but after that the spread is to great. Inside 30 yards though they are devestating. I kind of have a theory that each type of pellet has an ideal velocity where it has its best accuracy. I know that all pellets tend not to be as accurate as you get closer to the sound barrier due to the turbulence of the building shock waves. I'm guessing that the ideal velocity of a given pellet is affected by its shape, weight, center of gravity, ballistic coefficient, spin in flight, ( twist rate of the barrel rifling) etc. For example, a JSB 14.3 pellet might shoot its best when it's coming out of the barrel between 810 to 880 fps but not as good above and below those velocities. Being that Tim puts a power adjustment knob on the Discoveries that he sells I'm interested in checking my theory out some day.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have not tried the JSB predators...but i learned early on with my Beeman .22 that Hollowpoints are great at shorter ranges...say inside 35 yards...and round nose domes were much more accurate beyond that..My Disco .22 (MAC 1)averaged 906 FPS on JSB 14.3's.(1st string of ten shots)..so I'm very interested in the slightly heavier 16 gr/15.8 gr pellets I have coming next week..velocity will drop,but muzzle energy will increase...my plan is to just shoot them at my original 20 yard zero on the chrony then get out for a 70 yard test in the field in our prevailing wind to compare with the 14.3's......they are scheduled to get here next Tuesday...then I have to get out after a turkey....season ends Nov 23rd...LOL...

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Just got back from hunting...no turkey today....before leaving,I set up a small target (70 yards) to get a better "control" target for the heavier pellets arriving tomorrow....Using JSB 14.3's again, the first shot I ignored the wind to gage the drift (Left..10' oclock)...the following three shots I corrected for the wind and group was 1 1/4"....I'm documenting wind/shots so I can adjust using reliable dope for the Disco in field conditions..Posted ImagePosted ImageThe right to left wind l kept blowing my target down...Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

I have not tried the JSB predators...but i learned early on with my Beeman .22 that Hollowpoints are great at shorter ranges...say inside 35 yards...and round nose domes were much more accurate beyond that..My Disco .22 (MAC 1)averaged 906 FPS on JSB 14.3's.(1st string of ten shots)..so I'm very interested in the slightly heavier 16 gr/15.8 gr pellets I have coming next week..velocity will drop,but muzzle energy will increase...my plan is to just shoot them at my original 20 yard zero on the chrony then get out for a 70 yard test in the field in our prevailing wind to compare with the 14.3's......they are scheduled to get here next Tuesday...then I have to get out after a turkey....season ends Nov 23rd...LOL...

Good luck on your hunt it's suppose to be a warm one this weekend. I'm taking my Disco and going up to the SLO area this weekend for a turkey hunt on a private ranch that butts up against the LPNF. Unlike you I haven't been able to scout the ranch on foot but I've covered it pretty well with google earth.

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

Good luck to you as well......I'm giving my first area till Friday...then moving to another area next week if things don't pan out...I use Microsoft Terrasever Imagery in conjunction with my Forest service Topo maps...http://terraserver-u...om/default.aspxNot as pretty as Google Earth,but I can get grid coordinates...

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the link it. I particularly like the topo feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users