• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

A lot of areas in D14 are shotgun only and I was wondering if you can hunt with a slug in these areas? I am not a shotgun person, so, if I have a modified choke, what choke do I need to shoot slugs? What is the range? Thanks in advance.

#2 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

I dont think it would be good to shoot a deer with buck shot it would be unethical. also I dont think you should have any choke in when shooting slugs.

#3 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

I don't want to use buckshot, but a slug. Anyone else with some info? Thanks.

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:48 AM

cylinder or modified would be fine. Any tighter and your choke will end up down range with the slug. Then it's new barrel time... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

I took my buck last year with my 870 20 gauge using federal rifled slugs out of a modified choke. The problem you may encounter if your deer hunting with slugs is that you may be in the lead free zone. If your in the lead free zone you will have to use copper slugs or sabots. From what I understand you need at least a rifled choke to fire those accurately.

#6 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

I am in D14, where lead is ok. So, I can fire slugs out of my 870 Rem. 12 gauge, modified choke? Thanks.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

I did some testing a while back and if I remember right the 3 inch reminton "slugger" load was the most accurate rifled slug load in my 870. I do know for sure that the modified choke was the most accurate with improved cylinder and a rifled choke tube tied for second place.To save yourself some headaches get a needle point grease gun and some white lithium grease and squirt a nice little bead around the front of the slug where the hull touches it. You wont have hardley any lead smeared down the bore of your gun after a day of load testing. I wouldn't do it on the rounds you hunt with though...might taste funny.

I dont think it would be good to shoot a deer with buck shot it would be unethical.....

That's what it's meant for. That's why they call it buck shot. Alot of folks still use it back east.

#8 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

...might taste funny.

LOL. Thanks for the info.

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

I am in D14, where lead is ok. So, I can fire slugs out of my 870 Rem. 12 gauge, modified choke? Thanks.

My 870 came with a modified choke but I don't know what your shotgun will fire best with. Take it to the range and see how well it groups with some different slugs. Good luck and have fun. :roflmao3[1]:

#10 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

A rifled choke tube is about worthless; it is too short to impart any real spin onto the slug. It you use a rifled slug you can do fine with a modified choke since the rifling is cut into the slug and it uses air to spin the round. A sabot slug is smooth and to get the best accuracy you should use a rifled slug barrel. We used to use buck shot when I was growing up in VA, but you do have to be close for it to be effective. I would use a rifled slug barrel with some of the new sabot slugs out there; they can achieve some very respectable patterns with them. A slug barrel for the 870 new is only around $250 from Cabela's.

#11 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

I agree with Tinhunter, spend the extra $ on a slug barrel if possible. You'll increase your accuracy & effective shooting range. I bagged my venison last month with a 300 grain Hornady SST from my 870's slug barrel.

#12 angryhunter

angryhunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, hunting, combat shooting(instructor), flyfishing, backpacking, mountaineering/rockclimbing, photography...

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

I am not a shotgun expert, but what in the heck does a choke have to do with firing a slug? Everybody keeps saying they fire slugs in a barrel with a "moderate choke"...

#13 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

I believe if the choke is too small in diameter, the slug will not have the room to exit the barrel. That might be a problem. I was not aware of this before either. Thanks for all the helpful info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users