• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

I went out to a ranch in Riverside last Saturday expecting to shoot a nice pig. Instead, I ended up with a Ranboullett. It was really some steep terrain and my old legs are still burning from climbing up and sliding down the ridges in search of animals. Finally, at about 4 PM, this ram was standing on a ridge about 160-yards up from my position. The Grendel barked a 120-grain Nosler and the ram did a stunt man fall all the way down. Thank God because I am not sure I had the strength left to climb up and get him. After that experience, I think I'd better stick to the predator hunting. To be 100% honest.....yote hunting is a lot more fun and challenging.Posted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

Nice shot, and very nice trophy!!!! :signs1111cr: Congrats.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Beautiful looking head. Very well done.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Nice trophy and nice rifle!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Nice one Red not your usual AR trophy that's for sure.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

Nice Ram! How many inches are his curls? He is going to cook up nicely!

#7 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

Very nice ram, will look good hanging on the wall. :roflmao3[1]:

#8 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

Nice ram! Yep, I have bow hunted that ranch many of times and it will kick your butt! You earned your animal!! :roflmao3[1]:

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Nice shooting Red! I did alot of bowhunting there many years ago and it definitely pays to work out the legs before hunting there. Do you have a Mutton recipe?
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

Thanks guys. I actually donated the meat from the animal to a needy family. I thought I'd beat Obama to the punch....LOL
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

BO will want you to donate your gun too. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

Well John, that ain't gonna happen. I still believe that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights trump any ass clown that gets into office.

#13 RoFin

RoFin

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling...Off-roading...Exploring

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Red, I brought this thread back to the top because, two years later, your 6.5 is still my favorite AR. It's like back when I was 20 years old and there would be some girl that I couldn't get out of my mind, even though I knew dating her would be expensive.Like I said, two years later and I'm still thinking about your Grendel. Can I tell my wife it's your fault we won't have grocery money for a while? Still got that parts list? Thanks

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

If you were hunting somewhere else besides Bighorn Ranch it might have been a little more challenging but I'll have to agree with you that I'de rather predator hunt than hunt sheep. I made my first bow kill there years ago and although it was a good time it wasn't that hard to get a kill.

#15 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

The place sucked. I am sorry I even shot the sheep. I would not send anybody to that place, for sure.

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Red, I brought this thread back to the top because, two years later, your 6.5 is still my favorite AR. It's like back when I was 20 years old and there would be some girl that I couldn't get out of my mind, even though I knew dating her would be expensive.Like I said, two years later and I'm still thinking about your Grendel. Can I tell my wife it's your fault we won't have grocery money for a while? Still got that parts list? Thanks

Yikes!! Don't tell your wife because she may tell my wife and the next thing ya know, my wife will want to inventory the sacred safes. Just like George's old line on Sienfeld......."Two worlds would collide." We have a don't ask, don't tell policy. :1019:

#17 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

way cool rifle!! my don't ask don't tell policy only extends to ammo.my wife knows what all the guns look like. :1019: the fisrt time she shot one of my AR's it became "ours".no dear, MINE!! ;)
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#18 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

thats a very good outfit to rifle blend you got there

#19 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

Well, since I am usually hunting in some type of desert environment, I figured the desert digital would work for the rifle. I was my first attempt at a digital pattern and it turned out OK. Next time I will do it a little differently though.Looking back on that day I shot the Ram......I was with three Marines. They all got pigs that day because we did some brush busting and naturally I went the wrong way and didn't see any at my end. The guys were teasing me when we looked up on the hill and saw the Ram. It was a peer pressure thing (at my age?...yes) The teasing began...lines like, "take it", "will that rifle reach that far?", "can you see that Ram gramps?" "Just look at it through your scope." I knew if I shot the darn thing, it was going to cost me $350.00 bucks. OK, so I sighted on it and my pride got the better of me. I squeezed the trigger and the Ram turned to stone and fell off its rocky perch. I think that was first blood for the Grendel.

#20 RoFin

RoFin

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling...Off-roading...Exploring

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yikes!! Don't tell your wife because she may tell my wife and the next thing ya know, my wife will want to inventory the sacred safes. Just like George's old line on Sienfeld......."Two worlds would collide." We have a don't ask, don't tell policy. :popcorn:

Red, I was exaggerating for effect. My wife is pretty cool about my spending on toys, I mean tools! She doesn't spend any time in my shop. She peeks her head in the door and says "So much testosterone in here, if I come in I'll grow a beard!"Still got that parts list? PM?Thanks

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Sure. It will be easier if you PM me your regular e-mail address. I'll get you a bunch of info. I love the Grendel and I am sure you will too. Truth is, my wife is way cool about my passion too. I manage to horse trade a lot and get the stuff I need. I don't need to much anymore...now it's all "want". I tell my wife the same thing. These are "tools" and some are just made for a specific purpose. We are lucky we have wives that understand and don't give us grief. It works both ways. I take good care of her too. :popcorn:

#22 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Red, What is the deal with the different 6.5 chamberings? Are they interchangeable to the Grendel? So confused now. As what to build.

#23 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

I am certainly no expert on the topic. I did a lot of research on the different 6.5 & 6.8 chamberings and I ended up choosing the 6.5 Grendel. I believe, most of the other 6.5 chanberings are bolt rifle chamberings. I chose the Grendel because I wanted a rifle with good smack down power, pretty long range, lightweight and excellent accuracy. It basically replaced my .308 Kimber bolt rifle. The 6.5 Grendel is built on a standard AR chassis and although my barrel length is 16", you can build with the barrel length of your choice. The longer barrels will give a bit more velocity but the 16" barrel Grendel firing 120-grain bullets will shoot a 3" group at 425-yards. That works for me. The round is still supersonic at 1200-yards. You will find a load of info here at the 6.5 Grendel Forum. Check it out.I also have info I can send if you PM me your e-mail address.

#24 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

6.5 264 LBC is that the same thing?

#25 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

Found this:Les Baer Custom has cloned the 6.5mm Grendel and named their creation the .264 LBC-AR. So why would Les Baer, who were well known for producing quality licensed 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 rifles, start competing with Alexander Arms? Let me tell you why.Back in the late 90s Arne Brennan developed a 6.5mm wildcat cartridge based on the 6mm PPC (a cartridge with a well earned reputation as a highly accurate benchrest cartridge). This first generation cartridge spawned a stable of almost identical and, in fact, compatible cartridges. These include the 6.5mm PPCX, 6.5mm BPC and 6.5mm CSS.Bill Alexander then worked with Arne Brennan to develop a fine tuned version of his cartridge for the AR-15 platform. The result was the 6.5mm Grendel. Bill's company, Alexander Arms, trademarked the name and so no firearm company can use the Grendel name without paying royalties to AA. This is significantly different to the vast majority of cartridges, such as the .223 Rem. or .375 H&H, which do not require royalties.Back in 2006 the majority stake in Alexander Arms was bought by investment Venturecross Capital. Bill Alexander now owns just 31% of Alexander Arms. An industry source tells me that a couple of years ago Les Baer had an altercation with the new owner of AA. Because of this Les and his legal team research the trademark claims and concluded that AA only owned the name, not the cartridge design.Les then cloned the 6.5mm Grendel and named it the.264 LBC-AR. The LBC-AR differs slightly from the Grendel in that it has a .295 neck (as used by the 6.5mm CSS) and a 1 degree throat angle (as used by the 6.5mm PPCX).I contacted Les Baer Custom and they confirmed that the .264 LBC-AR and 6.5mm Grendel are fully compatible. It was telling in their communications with me that they fastidiously avoided actually using the word "Grendel". I have not doubt that their legal team is not going to give AA any excuse to take them to court!The current .264 LBC-AR on the market is loaded by Black Hills using brass made by Hornady. Hornady is apparently developing a Super Performance load for the .264.The 6.5mm Grendel has a large following. Many would like to see it adopted as by the US Military for the next-generation carbine. Each new commercially produced clone of the 6.5mm Grendel makes it that much harder for AA to profit from the military adoption of a 6.5mm PPC-derived cartridge. It will be interesting to hear what AA think of the LBC-AR. I ask them for a comment but they declined to reply to my request. I have it on good authority that the LBC-AR is not be the mystery 6.5mm cartridge that the Remington / Bushmaster ACR will chamber, my money still is on a necked down version of the .30 RAR.

#26 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

The 6.5 Grendel is built on a standard AR chassis and although my barrel length is 16", you can build with the barrel length of your choice. The longer barrels will give a bit more velocity but the 16" barrel Grendel firing 120-grain bullets will shoot a 3" group at 425-yards. That works for me. The round is still supersonic at 1200-yards. You will find a load of info here at the 6.5 Grendel Forum. Check it out.I also have info I can send if you PM me your e-mail address.[/quote]I plan on checking out that forum but don't have the time to sign up and what not (I'm supposed to be working lol). So here comes my dumb question. I have a stripped AR upper for 5.56, will a 6.5 barrel work with that reciever safely?
Ne Desit Virtus

#27 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

Yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users