• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

I've been asked by several people about using air rifles with lead pellets in the California non lead zone.Here is what the California Department of Fish and Game says:

Are pellet rifles included in the non-lead ammunition ban?Pellet rifles are not considered a firearm. Consequently, neither pellet rifles nor theirprojectiles would be included in the ban.

So if you are looking for a way to shoot ground squirrels in the non-lead areas of California here you go. Get yourself an adult air rifle and have some fun. :signs1111cr:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Interesting to know. What is a good airgun that will shoot to 75-100 yards accurately and doesn't cost 500 bucks? :signs1111cr:

#3 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

go to big 5 and get the rs1 by beeman when its on sale. that way you get two barrels with one gun. or you can go with a gamo varmint hunter. really nice gun two, if decided to save up for a second air gun just in case a friend wants to come along and shoot too! once you do find a store that has josef schulz bohumin diabolo exact or Jsb's exact for short. i paid $169 for mine. its a really nice gun. down side was i had to take my first one back it had a lot of stuff wrong with it, but big 5's got a really good exchange program. my second one took only 30 mins to set up and its dead on accurate. just cant wait for someone going door to door asking if we've noticed any dead birds near our house...i'll just blame it on the cat lady behind me! jk

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Buy a Benjamin Discovery with the pump. Excellent airgun lots of power and accurate as anything made. Buy it from Mac1 airguns as the owner will tune it and see that it shoots well. It's an amazing airgun for the money and under $500.

Time waits for no one--

#5 gibbygoo

gibbygoo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

I'm having trouble finding the Disco on Mac1's site...

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

Mac1 (Tim's) site is really out of date. You need to call him on the phone. It's about the only way to reliably contact him.

Time waits for no one--

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

Tim at MAC 1 has not added the Disco to his site..but he sells and tunes them...I bought one back in Sept...best to call...if you can't get Tim ask for Mike...he knows the inventory and can process your order..Rich

#8 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

Buy a Benjamin Discovery with the pump. Excellent airgun lots of power and accurate as anything made. Buy it from Mac1 airguns as the owner will tune it and see that it shoots well. It's an amazing airgun for the money and under $500.

SJ, won't a Beeman R9 go 70 to 100 yards accurately? You have one right?Is the disco better than the R9? in accuracy and power and distance?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have both guns. I like them both and they both have their place. The Discovery is easier for the new shooter to shoot accurately. What I mean is, spring operated airguns take some getting used to to shoot accurately. It's the double recoil the spring guns have. I Discovery is more powerful and has no kick or recoil whatsoever so it's easier to shoot.

Time waits for no one--

#10 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

Sorry to ask again, but why do you say the Discovery is more powerful? Is it because it is easier to shoot?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

It's a PCP or precharged pneumatic and has more power behind the pellet. It is not powered by a spring it has an air tank that holds compressed air.
  • Ezequiel likes this

Time waits for no one--

#12 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

It's a PCP or precharged pneumatic and has more power behind the pellet. It is not powered by a spring it has an air tank that holds compressed air.

I see... So if it hits something, it will hit it harder then right, and therefore it will travel farther then right?... Right now I don't know what I should get, either the R9 or the Discovery... my idea right is to get the R9 (well, not right now now...) and then save up some money to get the Disco... For some reason I don't like the idea of carrying a pump with me... at least not yet... but if that means that i'll get more power, then maybe it will be worth it... and I also think the PCP is a little more expensive too...This last few times that I have shot the gamo I have really enjoyed it, so i think it will be worth it to invest into this hobby... the only thing that frustrates me is the fact that i have to travel to the mountains to shoot...I got into contact with "ratassasin" and he told me that he'll go shoot with me after the holidays have passed which I think is pretty cool... most likely i'll learn a thing or two... plus i am learning a lot from reading what others have posted...Good thing i registered with this Forum... thanks guys..

#13 grumpforce

grumpforce

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunter and plinker

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

You know shooter John you sure do know a lot about air guns, I've learn so much over the past month thru this website, it is good to know that california hasnt completely placed a fence all around it. I started to loose my interest in airguning I was convinced that california had somehow banned that too since I was a kid but its good to know that as adults we can still have fun, like when we were Kids. Recently I lost my job :yahoo: :flag: and i must say that getting out there doing some shooting has brought back alot of memories of growing up in Monterey county that has help me realize alot of things. Thanks to all you experts, shooter john, varmintair, crazyhorse just to name a few you guys always bring some good information to the table. :)
Grumpy

#14 ali-baba

ali-baba

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Well said, 2nd that

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Read this post and find some of the DYNAMIC tin pellets.http://www.californi...d...st&p=138763

Time waits for no one--

#16 dwalk

dwalk

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

right now california is turmoil with gun/hunting legislation.

yes, brown did veto some of the most insidious bills...but...check with local authorities BEFORE hunting anywhere in california with ANY kind of ammo...tracers and armor piercing are illegal...as an example. IIRC, there was some hullabaloo about the pellets that have the steel inserts being "Armor piercing"...

#17 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I think from what I read, the bill will ban only centerfire lead ammunition. Rimfire and airguns are not affected (yet).

My Disco is minute of squirrel out to 90 yards, anything beyond that falls below my lowest mildot in my scope.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users