10 replies to this topic

#1 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

I left the house just after sunup this morning and drove to a friends house to squirrel hunt for an hour or so.He has about a 1/4 mile stretch of woods following a great smallmouth creek about 20 minutes from me.I could already hear some rustling in the trees when I got to the edge of the woods and decided to sit down and look around a bit.I sat for no more than 5 minutes and watched 3 fox squirrels playing across the creek. I took a 35 yard shot at the closest and watched him fall.Being as the water was about a foot deep and I was wearing 6 inch waterproof boots, I decided to wait and see if his buddys came back out.I waited about 40 minutes and didn't see any more squirrels so I waded across and picked him up. I hit him in his left sholder and while he didn't fall right away. The 15.8 JSB's did their job.After wading across and having wet cold feet..I didn't stick around too much longer..that water was cold! I know better now, On the next trip, I will wear taller boots.In the picture of the creek, I shot him out of the bigger forked tree at about 11 oclock.Attached File  1.jpg   36.53KB   10 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   31.04KB   10 downloads

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

Good shooting Ron. Both of your hunting spots look great, very creature friendly. You are hooked now I can tell! :signlol2iu: Taller waterproof boots would be a plus. If I hunt around water I often take a fishing rod and a floating plug type lure to get things that fall out of reach. I had to shoot some beavers at a duck club that were digging the place up. But found out right away when you shoot them they sink. :signlol2iu: Great pictures thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. :doh[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Congrats on your success. Great way to start the day. :signlol2iu:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

Nothing like being out there with the Fall colors on the leaves listening for those targets of opportunity. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--

#5 Browning Goddess

Browning Goddess

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Nice!! Getting out in the woods is always a welcomed change after a hard week of working. I lvoe the pics.Havent done that type of squirel hunting since I lived in Louisiana many moons ago.
Live, Love, and Hunt

#6 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

Thanks!!I did enjoy today, even if I only had a short available this morning. daylight saving change happened saturday night and today it got dark at about 6pm or just a little after.I'm afraid any hunting after work is over until spring. I will have some weekends free thoughMy good thing is I am an early riser, that means I can get out and play for a while in the morning and be back before my wife and 4 kids even think about rolling out of bed.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

:signs1180lq:

#8 aeladd1967

aeladd1967

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Golfing Fishing new to reloading

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

Great Pics.. Gotta love squirrel hunting. Its so peaceful in the woods. :signs1180lq: Vote !!

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Nice looking country. I can almost smell that air. There is just something special about the combination smell of the greenery and water that , once you've been exposed to it, stays in your mind for ever. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#10 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

I am hoping to go back there tomorrow morning to hunt again. My buddy, who lives there, was at work on Wednesday and someone backed up to his house side door, kicked it in, and stole at least 18 guns...including his air rifle. he is just sick about it.They even found a .22 lr that he had hid under his couch...that one makes me think its someone he knew or someone his kids knew.I am going to drop off my old blue streak out to him this weekend, so he can at least shoot some. he told me, since I brought my air rifle out there a year ago that he hasn't shot a powder burner since...only his air rifle that he bought a couple hours after I showed him mine.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

I'm sorry to hear he lost his guns. I would agree it was probably someone that knew his house.Airguns are hard to put down once you shoot them, that's for sure. :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users