28 replies to this topic

#1 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

Any complaint or dislike on the Taurus brand or the Taurus 45 are they bad because the price is so cheap. I have one in the waiting period thats why I ask

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

I have the PT145 and I love it. Great for a small CCW. Especially for the $300 I paid. :rolleyes:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 Browning Goddess

Browning Goddess

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

We used to be an FFL dealer and Taurus was a very popular brand. I do not personally own one, but I have had positive feedback on the gun maker. The price is attractive and definitely a favorite amoung pig hunters. Good luck!!
Live, Love, and Hunt

#4 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

I used to own a PT99 that I loved (never should have sold that one!) and my wife currently owns a 85B2 that has been an excellent gun (she now wants one of their "Judges"). Plus I've shot a "Raging Bull" and one or two other models over the years. I have been nothing but impressed with Taurus handguns, BUT last week I decided to give their Millennium 140BP a try at the local range. The gun was excessively loose, particularly the magazine. I know it was a rental gun and probably has had thousands of rounds through it already, but it didn't even compare to the Springfield XD45 that I was also shooting for comparison (the XD45 was also a well-used rental gun). Accuracy was not that great either. I understand it's a compact, short-barreled pistol meant for close range work but the XD easily outshot the Taurus even though they had the same barrel length. I even had my buddy who was with me put a couple mags through each gun and he felt the same way. Regardless, I still think Taurus makes a great gun and wouldn't hesitate to own one of their 1911 style pistols. I just wasn't impressed with their Millennium model.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#6 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

here it is PT 145 PROAttached File  pistol.JPG   97.53KB   48 downloads

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Nice! Congrats! Now go get you some of these http://www.cheaperth...om/46042-1.htmlIf you are used to standard sights, you will WANT to upgrade to these or something similar. I couldn't and didn't want to adjust to the 8 sights on the Taurus.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

Very partial to Trijicon night sites on my carry weapons. They never let me down!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

I just needed something cheap and NOT Heinis. ;) The Williams I linked to are as good in quality as the factory ones, and function like NORMAL sights. :DI have been thinking of getting the Trijicon's though. Just so many other things to buy. :) Besides if I need to shoot in the dark, it will be fast point shooting.

#10 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

The gun shoot's everywhere do you guys think it could be the ammo

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Could be the driver (or person pointing it) too! Remember keep your eyes open and squeeze the trigger. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

could be, I'm not use to pistol I am going to give it more pratice but our local range is under construction. Thanks for the advice SJ

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

My gun shoots everywhere too. :) Everywhere I point it! :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Seriously though, lots of people have problems with these small Taurus 45's when they first get them. Typically it is a Low and Left problem. The low is caused by your sight picture being off. With high 8 sights, the front sight needs to be centered on the bullseye (as in completely covering it). Typical sights use the split method where the top of your sights are splitting the bullseye down the middle.Now as far as your ammo, what are you using?I typically use WWB target stuff and it shoots fine.

#14 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

230 gr. form american eagle, it was cheap but I could use some recomendation for pratice but still will have to use nonlead in the fields

#15 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

I just bought a pt145 all blue i heard good things about the gun and i am confident that it was a good buy... I will give an update when i bring it to the range...

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:06 AM

230 gr. form american eagle, it was cheap but I could use some recomendation for pratice but still will have to use nonlead in the fields

Factory - CorBon DPX is what you need. Reload, you have no choice but Barnes XPB and I have posted a load on here for it.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#17 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

Starting to get us to it, the both eyes open made a big different which I thought it wouldnt

#18 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Never owned one or heard anything bad about them but my gunsmith buddy says he does not like the metalurgical process they use for making their weapons.

#19 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Factory - CorBon DPX is what you need. Reload, you have no choice but Barnes XPB and I have posted a load on here for it.Darren

Picked up me a box of thoes DPX 160 gr, 20 round for $35.00 now I can see through my pocket, would they shoot same as 230 gr

#20 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

I use the 185 grain Barnes XPB in my .45. They shoot real nice, as good as the 230grainers. Pays to reload, as this is very reason I finally started to!Darren

#21 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

I use the 185 grain B***** XPB...

Sorry, you use 185 grain what??? :D :nice_need_pics:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#22 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

Find us some other Non-lead ammo, test it, then let us know. You may not like Barnes, but for the most part it's the only game in town for us Condor zone guys. It's like shopping at Wal-mart. I HATE that place with a passion. But, I'm not gonna buy the same stuff at Target for 30% more out of spite. (plus Target doesn't have Hunting stuff etc)

#23 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:23 PM

Shoot with both eyes open your dominant eye will take over just like shooting a shotgun. If I can find the shooting pie chart I will post it.It's a chart that tells you what you are doing wrong like if you shoot low left your slapping the trigger or right to much thumb pressure ETC. Those taurus pistols are nice and I like the price to.

#24 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

if you can find it than it will be a big help but I am getting next to target

#25 harry carey

harry carey

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

ok PAY ATTENTION... i'VE ACTUALLY TAUGHT MORE THAN 5,000 PEOPLE TO SHOOT . LOW LEFT means you are right handed and are squeezing your hand AS you pull the trigger. w/o a gun , hold your hand out and squeeze your hand... aha !!! now you see... low left. GET THE GRIP... KEEP THE GRIP... PULL THE TRIGGER STRAIGHT BACK... DO NOT SQUEEZE ANYTHING !!! SLOW ...STEADY...SMOOTH...GRADUALLY PULLING THE TRIGGER STRAIGHT BACK. DO NOT CHANGE THE GRIP. You have to think about this. get a copy of PISTOL SHOOTERS TREASURY by Gil Hebard and read Bill Blankenships article. they used to call him The Human Machine Rest, 90% of hand gun shooters shoot low left and no one tells them what they are doing wrong, I just did. Go and Sin no more.

#26 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Excellent book - shoot be in every pistol shooters library. I bought mine about 15 years ago (maybe more) when I was doing some 3 gun (bullseye) shooting in Sac. That was FUN!

#27 harry carey

harry carey

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

PISTOL SHOOTERS TREASURY... I bought the second edition in 1973. read it cover to cover. then 3 years ago read it again. SUB CONSCIOUS. I noticed that I have owned every gun in that book except the "free" pistols in it , even engraved 1911's. sometimes you do not know why you "had to have a gun " or why you "always wanted one " but every gun in that book is a must have for pistol shooters except maybe free pistols.

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

I couldn't remember what that chart read but it helped me . I am working on my thumbing problem.Harry what hand grip do you teach on semi auto pistols.http://www.targetsho...rp-analysis.pdf

#29 harry carey

harry carey

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

basically GET ALL THE MEAT YOU CAN ON THE GUN. THE GUN RECOILS, YOUR HAND DOESN'T!!!!!!! GRIP THE GUN WITH BOTH HANDS DO NOT GRIP YOUR STRONG HAND WITH THE WEAK HAND , GET THE HANDS ON THE GUN !!!! THUMBS SHOULD BE POINTED AT THE TARGET. AGAIN LOOK AT THE GRIP. DO YOU HAVE ALL AVAILABLE MEAT ON THE GUN ???? IT IS AMAZING THAT PEOPLE PUT THE WEAK HAND ON THE STRONG HAND INSTEAD OF THE GUN. IF RIGHT HANDED THE LEFT HANDS INDEX FINGER SHOULD BE UNDER THE TRIGGER GUARD. MOST PEOPLE PULL THE GUN DOWN IF THEY PUT THE LEFT FINGER IN FRONT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD AND THIS IS DIFFICULT FOR SOME TO DO IN A HURRY. HOWEVER... WHEN SHOOTING SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS I PUT THE LEFT INDEX FINGER IN FRONT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD , GRIPPING WITH BOTH HANDS IN ORDER TO SHOOT FAST , I DO NOT USE SIGHTS IN THIS CASE, I CANT THE GUN BECAUSE I HAVING PLAYED ROCK AND ROLL DRUMS IN THE 1960'S KNOW WHERE THE STRENGTH IS IN THE WRIST. FOR FAST SHOOTING, CANT THE GUN AND PUSH IT TOWARD THE TARGET FOR EACH SHOT. I AM TALKING ABOUT VERY FAST SHOOTING NOT WHAT YOU SEE AT SASS BUT FAST , VERY FAST. SEE ED MCGIVERNS BOOK OR A VIDEO OF HIM. HE IS SHOOTING WITH ONE HAND!!! HE PUSHES THE GUN TO GET IT BACK DOWN. HE DID NOT SHOOT WIMP LOADS .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users