5 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

I had sent my FX 2000 off to Mac1 a couple of weeks ago for a complete overhaul. Today I had a chance to take her out and sight her in. I then spent a couple of fabulous hours in the piney woods here in Northern Arizona, in pursuit of the tassel eared tree squirrel. They are also known as the Abert's squirrel. I'll post that story later.When I pulled the scope off to send the gun to Mac1, all I did was loosen the clamping screws and slide it off the gun. Today I simply reversed the procedure. I was curious to see just how close to being sighted in it might be. The prairie chuck target was put out at 50 yards and I fired the first shot. Elevation was perfect but it hit just a bit left. I made a small scope adjustment and fired seven more. Pretty much a bug hole.Today was one of those rare days where we had almost no wind. I was out of the prairie chuck targets so I put one of my huge bullseye targets out at 100 yards and fired five shots. the group goes 1.2 inches. The pellet of choice today was the 21 grain Beeman Kodiak.This rifle never ceases to amaze me.Posted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

That's some fine shooting there Cliff. I've done that trick before removing the scope that way and it was more successful than not but that was really close. What did Tim do to your gun? It's not that old is it? When are you going to find me one! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

It had developed a very slow leak, so I had Tim go through the entire gun and replace the all seals, clean and lube as needed. The bolt was feeling like it was starting to gall on something so I asked him to check that out as well. It is smooth as silk now. I think the gun just needed a thorough going through, cleaned and lubed. I bought it used a few years ago and the guy I got it from said he had shot it quite a bit in his back yard. I have shot the holy heck out of it since I've owned the gun. Tim said the "O" rings were in need of replacement. He uses the best available, so I'm guessing this tune up will last longer than me. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Keep an eye out on Airguns of Arizona's used gun section. They seem to get more of them than anyone else. Sunday night I checked and they had two listed. By the time I called around 10am Monday morning, they were both sold. :signs653wf:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

Sounds like he really went through it then. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: That's nice, so no more worries. It sure shoots nice. I will check there occasionally to see what they have.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

That is incredible shooting. I am amazed at what airguns are capable of.

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, today's airguns have come along way since the days of my Daisy Red Ryder, and my old pump Benjamin. On appropriate sized game, I prefer them to my .22 rimfires. I get a lot more shooting because they don't spook the critters when you shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users