• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

Well, I researched and worried and thought about the $$$, called the dealers, did a couple of lists, compared prices, talked to people at CPC and finally laid the plastic card down. It is weird to pay that much for a danged pellet gun!! Apparently got lied to somewhat by a dealer. Almost like shopping for a used car. Decided on a 22 caliber PCP just so I could make a long distance call to those squirrels. 65 ft lbs seems like an adequate amount of thump for a CA ground squirrel or rabbit. Will have to see about pushing the effective range a little bit. Ordered from Straight Shooters, they'll ship tomorrow and I'll cross my fingers that it don't get bent on the way here. Really did like the ballistic data that Straight Shooters have on their web site comparing the velocities at various ranges using different pellets and such. Looks like this gun, with the right pellet, should take squirrels and rabbits out to about 60 yds without worrying about holdover. Of course the newbies are always overly optimistic. :signs165xk: Ordered that sample pack with 25 of each of the 22 cal pellets that they carry in stock. That should keep me busy shooting groups for awhile. Will have to play with the chronograph and find out what happens with the power settings, what velocity you get with the various pellets, etc. Suppose I'll have to turn the power way down for any backyard shooting. At least in town. Just checked to see how much it would cost to have UPS third day delivery, $128 for the two packages. As they say, OMG! I passed on that. They are selling the Discovery pump to go with the other PCP guns. The one written up on their site with the easily replaceable O-rings turned out that it failed about the third time you actually pressured up a gun. :(Can't hardly wait.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Well, we are all wondering what did you buy? You said a 22cal PCP, but what brand?

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

Oh, that.Attached File  sumatra2500_500cc.jpg   49KB   39 downloadsIt is the Eun Jin Sumatra in 22 Cal with the 500cc reservoir. Bos says his 25 cal is satisfactory, so I bit the pellet and got this one. Will swap some rifle scopes around to scope it.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

Let us know when you get it we'd like to see a picture and your take on it. At 1300 fps it's definitely going to make a crack. Have fun with your new adult airgun.

#5 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

I looked at the one many times. Very nice choice by what I've read. Let us know what you think after you shoot it. Nice weapon!!!Bone

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Very nice. Will be expecting your report.

#7 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

I have seen pics of those for over a year but, have never heard how they are.Good Lookin Gun!Please let us in on how it shoots.Ron

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

Soon as I get my paws on it I'll start testing & reporting. Good, bad or indifferent.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

UPS is messing with me.According to the UPS tracking system my rifle and accessories have moved 63 miles since 10/31. But the system still says it's on time! From St Cloud, MN (home of Straight Shooters) to Eagan, MN (Where UPS is stashing my Sumatra) is approx 63 miles according to Google Earth. It would be a consolation that it is sitting right outside Minneapolis International Airport, except that it's supposed to be coming UPS Ground. If it keeps traveling at this rate it will arrive in CA in about 2011. :roflmao3[1]: :) :popcorn: I will be patient.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

Don't worry Gary that tracking stuff never updates on the weekends. I was waiting for something the other day and I now have my shipping hubs direct phone line. I called and said you have my package and I want it. They said, "NO WE DON"T!" They did and I got it because I had to sign for it. :roflmao3[1]:

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:29 AM

Same here on UPS....package always shows up on time with final "update" the night before...you should be ok...I've noticed this on last few packages..seems they do not update every movement...if you set up an account or register with them,you would see each move.....I think...Here is an example of package coming tomorrow:Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 11/05/2008. Tracking Number: 1Z xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxIn Transit - On Time Scheduled Delivery: 11/05/2008 Shipped To: EL CAJON, CA, US Shipped/Billed On: 10/30/2008 Service: GROUND Weight: 1.50 Lbs To view additional tracking information, please log in to My UPS. Package Progress Location Date Local Time Description HODGKINS,IL, US 10/30/2008 8:52 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN 10/30/2008 1:21 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN US 10/30/2008 3:48 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED Tracking results provided by UPS: 11/03/2008 10:33 A.M. ET

#12 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:41 AM

UPS is messing with me.According to the UPS tracking system my rifle and accessories have moved 63 miles since 10/31. But the system still says it's on time! From St Cloud, MN (home of Straight Shooters) to Eagan, MN (Where UPS is stashing my Sumatra) is approx 63 miles according to Google Earth. It would be a consolation that it is sitting right outside Minneapolis International Airport, except that it's supposed to be coming UPS Ground. If it keeps traveling at this rate it will arrive in CA in about 2011. :roflmao3[1]: :signs1111cr: :popcorn: I will be patient.

Something seems to have changed in the UPS tracking system. A couple weeks ago I received an e-mail notice from Leupold that a scope I had sent in for repair was on it's way home, and gave me a tracking number.According to UPS that scope never left Portland Oregon, but it showed up on my front porch a few days later. Who knows.

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

UPS has been doing this for some time now....in my case they just show "departure" from point of origin and only other update I get is morning of delivery stating "out for delivery"....

#14 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:15 AM

The status currently shows that it did leave Eagan, MN. So, I'm just waiting for the doorbell to ring on Thursday. In the fairly recent past I've seen things process through the intermediate depots in the SF area. :roflmao3[1]: After all there aren't a lot of intermediate stops required between MN & CA. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :popcorn:

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

Here is my latest update...note it shows just "departure" scan...and now "out for delivery"....Package Progress Location Date Local Time Description CHULA VISTA,CA, US 11/04/2008 6:30 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY 11/04/2008 6:00 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN HODGKINS,IL, US 10/30/2008 8:52 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN 10/30/2008 1:21 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN US 10/30/2008 3:48 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED Above is normally all I see on tracking...

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

The condition some of my packages arrive in, I think they just fly over my house and kick them out of the plane. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#17 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

A friend received a package that had truck tire tracks on it. His claim was denied because he didn't put enough packing tape on it! UPS lost that one but my friend's blood pressure went up a lot that day! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Gee, all this time and I didn't know it was the tape that protected the contents from time tracks. :roflmao3[1]: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#19 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

You know - all this brings to mind an old cliche:A watched pot never boils.Could it be said thatA tracked UPS package never arrives?No no no - I'm sure that's not possible!Watiing is the hardest part

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

Now it's in San Pablo, CA. 16 miles to go. But, it will probably go to the Cordelia UPS depot first. :good:

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

Same thing here Gary. I bought a new night vision toy and it's somewhere in the UPS system. They haven't updated it once in three days. I think my name has a special code attached to it. They probably take the long route getting to my house. :good:

#22 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

Now my package is 43 miles away, in South San Francisco. They'll probably load it on a plane back to Korea. :WTF_1: Actually, it is shown as departing South San Francisco about 4 AM. :DEdit: 9:15 AM 11/06/08Out for Delivery, from Concord, CA @ 6:49 AM :signtripledogdare2wf:

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Good luck the day is still young. :signtripledogdare2wf:

#24 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Gun was delivered about noon. :roflmao3[1]: got the wrong size rings 30 MM instead of one inch. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: No prob, have extra rings that fit. :roflmao3[1]: Will move on to testing/sighting/hunting/learning. :roflmao3[1]:

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

That's great you got the gun and too bad about the rings. How does the gun feel to you? Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

#26 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Gun was delivered about noon. :014: got the wrong size rings 30 MM instead of one inch. ;) No prob, have extra rings that fit. ;) Will move on to testing/sighting/hunting/learning. :roflmao3[1]:

Whooo hooo!

#27 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

LOL You guys are worse than my kids at Christmas LOL... I never watch where it is ... I just note the date it says it will arrive and plan for that day..Glad you got it and definetly post up how it shoots etc..

#28 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

I stress about where my stuff is too. My wife says I have a condition that requires instant gratification :roflmao3[1]: Just a few weeks ago, I had a rifle, pellets, scope, and rings, all on different trucks enroute to my house from the four corners of the country.I spent every spare minute on the tracking websites.

#29 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

I spent every spare minute on the tracking websites.

Don't wear out your keyboard. Try here: PackTrack.com - all-in-one package tracking with UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL and more.

#30 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'm tracking some pellets right now....Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users