14 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Last year I cooked the heart and I wasn't very happy on how it turned out. Anyone have a favorite they want to share?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

I like to slice it thin, maybe a 1/4", dredge it in flour, and fry in a small amount of fat. Best if served with eggs, potatoes and biscuits for breakfast.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Salt, pepper, season salt, garlic salt.. grill with yellow onions, just enough oil to keep it from stucking to the pan :roflmao3[1]: .. Its to die for :) Also can be dredged in flour with same seasonings mixed in.. Trick with the heart is cook it while fresh, and dont over cook it.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

Just like liver! Yum! :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Guts is guts :bleh[1]: What about the eye balls :harhar1[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

If you've never tried fresh deer liver you've missed something pretty good. First time I had it was on a hunt in Southern Utah. The ladies got up to make us breakfast. They sliced up the liver and soaked in milk overnight. In the morning the fried it on a big grill over the campfire. It was dredged in flour and cooked with bacon and onions. Zowie!
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

Ingredients:1 fresh deer heart1 med. onion, sliced thin2 tablespoons butter1 tablespoon oil2 cloves garlic, sliced1 qt. milkSalt & pepperDirections:Soak heart in salted water for 24 hours, changing water 3 times. After 3rd change fill with milk. Rinse heart well, cut meat away from heart. Slice very thin like shaved steak. Pat dry on paper towel, season. Heat large black pan. Brown onion slices in part of the butter and oil. Remove. Quick fry meat in remainder of oil and butter. Return onions to pan. Can serve like steak and cheese sandwich with melted cheese. This recipe serves/makes 4

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

Just like liver! Yum! :)

Cabbin Liver (Deer or Elk) Even if you don't like liver try it this way, you might be surprised. You can use moose, caribou, or elk liver for this recipe. INGREDIENTS: 1 whole liver, sliced 1/2 cup flour 1/4 cup bacon grease 1 can beef broth 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1/2 onion, cubed 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 bell pepper, sliced 1/4 teaspoons chili powder pinch of oregano pinch of black pepper salt to taste Heat bacon grease in a fry pan. Coat liver with flour, brown on both sides. Sprinkle some more flour on the liver then add enough water to cover the liver about 3/4. Cook until the water is almost cooked away, turn the liver and repeat. Move the liver and remaining broth to a casserole dish, pre-heat oven to 325. Add beef broth, tomato paste, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, bell pepper, and salt to taste. Stir, cover, and bake at 325 for about 1 hour. Make good use of the gravy, it is delicious as well. Makes 2 servings

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

Ingredients1 each deer heart 1 x salt 1 x black pepper 1 x garlic salt 1 x beef bouillon cube low sodium 1 x thyme 1 x water 2 large onions 2 each green bell peppers 3 each celery stalks sliced 1 each carrot sliced 1 cup broccoli florets head 1 can mushrooms DirectionsRinse deer heart in cold, running water to remove all blood.Trim off fat.Let stand in cold salted water to 1 to 2 hrs. Remove and place in a pot of boiling salted water.Boil 15 to 20 min. Remove and cut into 2 centimeter slices.Place in hot, oiled skillet. Sprinkle with steak spice, pepper and garlic salt.Fry like steak, both sides, about 15 min.In meantime prepare vegetables. Saute onions in oiled pot for 5 min, add remaining vegetables.Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper.Dissolve bouillon in cup of hot water and add to vegetables.Simmer 10 min or to desired tenderness.Serve with deer heart and boiled or fried potatoes.

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

I like to slice it thin, maybe a 1/4", dredge it in flour, and fry in a small amount of fat. Best if served with eggs, potatoes and biscuits for breakfast.

Fried venison heart Yield: 4 servings 1 Venison heart 1 med Onion, sliced 1 tsp Prepared mustard 1 tsp Pickling spice 1 tsp Salt 3 tsp Wine vinegar 1 cup Red wine Flour 2 tsp Butter Procedures Split heart in half. Remove all vents and ducts. Misx onion, mustard, pickling spice, salt, wine vinegar, and wine in large glass bowl. Soak heart in marinade overnight. Dredge pieces in flour and fry in butter over high heat. When both sides are browned reduce heat and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes longer

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

Wow thanks for all the great ideas! I will try one of these this weekend hopefully.

#12 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

We just slice the heart crosswise in about 1/4 in slices (looks sort of like a bell pepper sliced crosswise) sprinkle on a little garlic salt and seasoned pepper and put the slices on the BBQ (medium high) for about two minutes a side.It's some of the best eating on the deer, next to the liver that is.Truckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#13 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well I had a salad the other night with the deer heart and it was great! I cut the heart into quarter inch slivers and then heated a pan with olive oil and some smoked bacon grease. I added some garlic and then marinated the heart in salt, cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, tarragon and oregano. I then cooked it till it started to sweat and flipped it. Came out awesome!

#14 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

Sounds good. Hope to shoot me another deer tomorrow.

#15 aeladd1967

aeladd1967

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Golfing Fishing new to reloading

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Like they said cut thin, season and fry.. MMMM Goood!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users