#1 Savage

Savage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Shooting

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

As i tell this story i feel stupid but i was not aware of this at the time and now i am wondering if it is possible to remove my stuck choke. My gun is a browning gold with shadow grass pattern over it. The gun is probably about 7yrs old or so and i have had a stuck choke in the gun for a long time now and i have not been able to get it out and i have tried tons of things. Any ideas that people would recommend would be awesome.

#2 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

Remove the barrel and get some kind of anti seize from the hardware store or automotive place. Spray the choke liberally and let it sit for a while, a few hours. Then try to break it free. Be careful not to get the solvent all over the outside of the barrel, it may remove the camo patterning. There are other ways, but they will surely ruin the finish of the barrel.Matt

#3 Savage

Savage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Shooting

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Well i have already done that. I plugged the end of the barrel and filled enough of the barrel with kroil so that it would be able to soak into the threads for 24 hrs and it still would not budge.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,197 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

Take it to a gunsmith before you damage it. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Lefty loosy Righty tighty? :roflmao3[1]:

#6 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

I helped my buddy remove one of these a few months ago it had dropped in the water and the client cleaned the gun but did not remove the choke and clean it and the threads.we ended up killing the choke but the barrel was ok.we ended up soaking the threads in wd40 using a little heat.Was something else but I need to call him and ask I forgot it was a pain i know.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

I've loosened a couple by heating the area in a pot of boiling water but I'd be afraid to do it to a camo finish.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Put the gun (barrel end obviously) into engine oil. Leave over night and give it a try. if that doesn't work try the same thing with anti-seize. My buddy had the same thing on his Benelli Nova and the engine oil worked, but it took about a week. And next time...PUT OIL ON THE THREADS before installing!!! Haha.Good luck!
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Soaking in penetrating oil such as Kroils should ease it some what. If you don'y have a good barrel vise I'd recommend taking it to a smith. If you have a barrel vise then with a heavyduty choke wrench that can be attached(You may have to make this) to an impact driver you should be able to free it using a soft blow hammer. A little bit of high heat anti-sieze on the threads when reassembling should help in the future. Don't overdue it with the anti-sieze a little dab will do ya. It's a good idea to remove the choke while doing your normal cleaning due to moisture collecting there especially if your waterfowl hunting with dogs shaking in the blind etc.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users