#1 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Maybe it's too much to ask, or already been done, so please feel free to delete this thread.Is there a chance that maybe someone could list a good starting setup, maybe two... One on the upper end of price and quality, and a second on the lower end, more of an entry level?i need to get a new .20 or .22, but man, things have changed a LOT since i first looked at pellet guns, and money is currently a concern...Thanks

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:17 AM

What is your budget for gun and rifle?

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

How about for rifle and scope. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Check out http://www.straightshooters.com - its a good place to start.

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

I think you got the wrong site. That one is a photography site.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Braz I fixed the link. Straight Shooters is a great place for info.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:39 AM

Posted ImageWith help from john and craig porter at straitshooters i pulled the trigger on this one friday afternoon . I am looking forward to this gun since it was purchased with cash my mom gave me from tools my pop sold off before he past away. He knew tools weren't my thing and he loved to hunt with me when we where younger this will complete my quiver of airguns for now . Between my varmint hunter .177 ,disco .22, and the 410erb .22 cal I'm set . These guns have left me no desire to shoot powder burners ever again with so many quality guns out there and so many guys here with knowledge of them all you will make a good choice .Then like the rest of us you will be a KID again

#8 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Sorry about the bad link.Congrats on the new rifle!

#9 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Thanks guys. I'm still looking for my budget. lol This year has been an interesting one, so i'll probably have to sell one to buy one. Anyone want a 6mm bench gun? :-)Thanks for all the info. I'm liking the disco and the goldfinger so far... but the air thing has kind of got a hold on me too. :-) i'll keep lookin and trying to learn for a bit more. Thanks again.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

Chris, you are going to love that new Air Arms s410 ERB. That NEW side lever cocking system is so sweet. Plus it's a very quiet gun and as accurate as they get. Let use know when you get it. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Posted ImageWith help from john and craig porter at straitshooters i pulled the trigger on this one friday afternoon . I am looking forward to this gun since it was purchased with cash my mom gave me from tools my pop sold off before he past away. He knew tools weren't my thing and he loved to hunt with me when we where younger this will complete my quiver of airguns for now . Between my varmint hunter .177 ,disco .22, and the 410erb .22 cal I'm set . These guns have left me no desire to shoot powder burners ever again with so many quality guns out there and so many guys here with knowledge of them all you will make a good choice .Then like the rest of us you will be a KID again

Congratulations. You are really going to love that rifle. In addition to the usual JSB's, try some Beeman 21 grain Kodiaks in it. I was out sighting mine in with them a couple weeks ago and got these results. (picture to follow) The target on the left is 10 rounds at 75 yards with a light breeze blowing. The target on the right is also 10 rounds, but the wind had really picked up. I was playing around, shooting in the wind, holding off to the left or right just like in a real dog town, and trying to keep all shots in the kill zone of the SHOOT-N-C Prairie Dog Squirrel Chuck target. I'm going to be using the Kodiaks on Prairie Dogs because they buck the wind a bit better than the 16 grain JSB's at 80/90 yards. They have a bit more loopy trajectory, but with the use of a laser rangefinder and a scope with mildots, I still know exactly where to hold. At 21 grains, they carry a lot of momentum down range and do knock the snot out of whatever they come into contact with.Enjoy the AA 410, she's definitely one of the best high end airguns out there.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#12 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

looking at that group has me fired up VA and the fact that the disco pump can do the job i ordered a foster fitting so i'am good to go with both guns .Had the disco out this AM on the wood pile baiting and waiting on GS's and rats when 160 ft out and 60 ft up a grey tree rat was chewing away on something round .Using my tripod i let a crosman primer HP 14.3 fly it passed right through his heart and he fell like a sack of wheat. I'am really happy with the disco the though of having something even better is intriging .I will be reaching out to you cliff and i know john will help me as i get used to this new gun i will be putting my center point 3x9 from the disco on it and will shoot the disco with open sights for a while i will post pic's when it comes and keep you boys posted

#13 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

Wow, that's great. Those grey squirrels are good eating.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#14 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

looking at that group has me fired up VA and the fact that the disco pump can do the job i ordered a foster fitting so i'am good to go with both guns .Had the disco out this AM on the wood pile baiting and waiting on GS's and rats when 160 ft out and 60 ft up a grey tree rat was chewing away on something round .Using my tripod i let a crosman primer HP 14.3 fly it passed right through his heart and he fell like a sack of wheat. I'am really happy with the disco the though of having something even better is intriging .I will be reaching out to you cliff and i know john will help me as i get used to this new gun i will be putting my center point 3x9 from the disco on it and will shoot the disco with open sights for a while i will post pic's when it comes and keep you boys posted

Nice shot on the tree rat. The AA 410 accuracy is sensational. It's way better than my ability to shoot it. That group on the left was shot with my scope set at 8 power, which is what all my scopes are set at for hunting. If I were purely interested in shooting small groups, just for the sake of seeing just how small a group I could shoot with the gun, I would crank it up in power, but I'm more interested in what I can do at the power I hunt with.The 16 grain JSB's were blowing clear through ground squirrels at 90 yards out of the AA 410 this past Spring. The gun has power to spare. I have never turned the power down on mine. Doing what I do, I run it wide open. As a matter of fact, if you take the barreled action out of the stock, there is a small set screw that will let you lock the power adjust wheel down so you don't have to worry about bumping it lower and not noticing it. Mine is locked down in the wide open position.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users