#1 glockster

glockster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shootin' Blastin' Plinkin' & A Little Fishin'

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

Going to get my new 17hmr out of jail this weekend and would like to know about where it should be hitting at 25yrds (indoor range) so that it is zero'ed at 100.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

Where are you located?

#3 RayGun

RayGun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

Not a fair question. No one can accurately answer it for you.25 yard adjustment is so variable, considering particular rifle reciever height, height of bases and rings, barrel length, bullet velocity, bullet weight, shooting from sand bags, bipod, wooden blocks, free hand, and the list gets longer.sight in at 100 yards if that is where you want it centered, and then check it out a 25, 50, 75, 125, 150, 175 and 200. Then you will know where it shoots.Good luck

#4 glockster

glockster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

well i'd love to sight it in at 100 but the indoor range is about 20mins away outdoor is about 1.5 hrs. Thanks anyway guys! :)

#5 Guest_HMR_*

Guest_HMR_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

well i'd love to sight it in at 100 but the indoor range is about 20mins away outdoor is about 1.5 hrs. Thanks anyway guys! :)

have a look on http://www.varmintal.net/ there is a chart on it that might help

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

I have to agree with RayGun. You are looking at so many variables it would be nearly impossible to guesstimate a zero point for you not having all of the points he mention to work with. Even a fifty yard sight-in would give you a quick 100 yard estimate. Take the 1.5 hour drive and have fun shooting and breaking in your new gun. You're going to want to run at least 2 boxes of ammo through it to settle it down anyway. :)

#7 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

Its only 20 minuets to Concord. There is a 100 yard range there. I can't remember the name but let me know and I could find out. It is kind of expensive. They have an area for rimfire that you can shoot both 50 and 100 yards from the same bench.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

Here's a site you might find interesting. It has all of the rifle ranges in California and gives you their range lengths too.http://www.huntingna...or.com/shca.htm

#9 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:59 AM

The one in Concord is called United Sportsman Inc (USI). I belong to the Diablo Rod and Gun club there. Pretty good range, but it is definately getting rather expensive for non-members to shoot there ;)

#10 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

Thanks, I need to join one of those clubs. I do not think it is that much to join. I only go there a few times a year.I bought ammunition there. It was a fair price if I remember. [quote]Thanks, I need to join one of those clubs. I do not think it is that much to join. I only go there a few times a year.I bought ammunition there. It was a fair price if I remember.

#11 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

You also get to play on the special ranges too! :)A couple of years ago, I was really into action pistol, running and gunning is a blast!

#12 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:15 PM

I think the have a longer range also. One more thing to do.

#13 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

They have a 200 yard range.

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

Yes, but the 200 range is only avalailable for members a few times per month (Sun am or something like that). Otherwise, 100 yards is the furthest you'll get, and it's real windy the majority of the time so shooting 17hmr can be a waste of ammo.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

How about heading out to the desert or BLM land to site it in?

#16 glockster

glockster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

How about heading out to the desert or BLM land to site it in?

The outdoor area i usally go to(1.5hrs away) is BLM land, it's about 180 yards, but it probably a mud hole right now. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users