• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,003 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've sighted the Discovery in several times now. I've been fiddling with mounts and different scopes. I should have ordered my mounts from Tim at Mac1 because mine shoot very low. I changed them front to back and measured them they are identical. I've heard the ones Tim sends are slightly different height. That would have been a help but I learn the hard way. It took three pieces of aluminum soda can shim added to the bottom of the rear mount to correct the problem. I finally decided to sight it in at 30 yards using a machine rest I have. The gun is strapped into the rest and moved with knobs to adjust point of impact. It also has a syringe style pneumatic trigger actuator. That way no outside external forces on the gun during firing I just check the scope occasionally. This is what I got starting at some shots just to get it on target and progressing to it finally settling down. There is a little play in the scope adjustments but additional firing settled the cross hairs. The gun is extremely accurate more so than most shooters I'm sure. It makes me wonder why other adult air rifles cost so much. I will say both my Air Arms S410 ERB and my FX Monsoon will shoot slightly better and have better triggers. But trying to justify the additional costs of those guns compared to the Discovery is difficult. I like the looks of my other airguns and their fine workmanship. But if I wanted a very good PCP air rifle at a very reasonable cost the Discovery is the gun to buy. I've been doing some plinking with it shooting paint balls off of golf tees at 40 yards. I find this to be a very good test of a guns ability to group. This gun excels at performing that task. Now to get a recoil pad to lengthen the stock and I'll be all set. An excellent hunting and target gun at a very affordable price.First sight-in target. Six shots to get me close.Attached File  sight_in.jpg   33.56KB   31 downloadsSecond sight-in target. Six additional shots minor adjustments.Attached File  sight_in2.jpg   33.91KB   26 downloadsThird and final target. Three shots sighted in.Attached File  sight_in3.jpg   34.36KB   25 downloads

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Yep, I would have to agree that it shoots better than most shooters. Nice post John.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

I'am blown away at the ability to hit a ground squirrel at 180 ft with my Mac 1 disco it's just amazing how much fun it is, at 120 ft my girl rags a hole off the tripod from the back of my jeep . As for pest control feral cat to raccoon fall with ease. On the wetlands where i live the varmints are an everyday task and the disco , and varmint hunter are very busy .

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

:signs1180lq: I can't wait to get my hands on the one I ordered!! Great shooting! ;)

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

That will do the trick John :signs1180lq: ;)
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

You have the Disco dialed in real good John....!! Very nice tight group... :signs1180lq:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

The Benjamin Discovery is really a very well made gun. I think it is the perfect way for someone to get into higher powered airguns at a reasonable price. That machine rest of mine makes sighting simple. All I have to do is work the bolt and add a pellet. Oh and push a button, something I'm over qualified for. :)

Time waits for no one--

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

Great groups, John. But..........with a machine rest? :)

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

I can shoot better than my machine rest! :harhar1[1]: But I just wanted to be fair to the rifle. :)

Time waits for no one--

#10 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Wow! Airguns sure have come a long way sine I was a kid. Outstanding group John. You just sold me on that gun.

#11 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

John,I want to see a pic of that machine rest!!I thought my Caldwell BR rest was nice and you just described something I seriously need.Great shooting!!You know at this rate, you may need to add a sub forum for Disco owners! :)

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

They're made for big game heavy recoil rifles. But mine is pretty trashed I got it second or third hand. Next time I drag it out of the barn I'll put a few different airguns in it and show you what they can really do at 80+ yards. You wouldn't believe me if you saw a group I shot at 100 yards from the rest. Here's a movie you can see of the rest. It's made by Hyskore and you can get one at places like Cheaper than Dirt for reasonable.http://www.hyskore.c.../30013demo.html

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users