#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

Was scouting another area for turkeys and set up this target for some test shots at 40 yards. Also, one of my turkey calls had arrived when I got home.Posted ImageI shot 4 pellets (JSB 14.3gr) then walked to target to check group.It was left of spine and group was 3/4"..(Highlighted yellow)..so adjusted windage and took one more shot....I'm going t0 order heavier pellets for next time out for another test as that will give me better results in the wind..(.the wind was right to left at 8 mph...)Posted ImageI was shooting from sitting position using my tri-pod set up...

#2 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

Good Shootin Crazyhorse! I don'y have a lot of experience shootin air rifles in the wind but I know how much it makes a difference in my centerfires.I just asked Shooterjohn about the 14.3 JSB's as it seems a lot of guys are using them instead of the 15.8's that I bought. He said he loves his. Mine are shooting so good that I'm afraid to try the lighter ones but, everyone else seems to like them.Maybe someday if I find them cheap enough or I find some that I don't have to pay more for shipping than the pellets themselves, I'll give them a try.

#3 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

Is it still the law in CA that the pellet has to be bigger than .20? I've got a sweet little .177 i'd like to try. Don't think i can swing a new .22 though.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

Sorry Steve it has to be .20 caliber or larger.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

Good Shootin Crazyhorse! I don'y have a lot of experience shootin air rifles in the wind but I know how much it makes a difference in my centerfires.I just asked Shooterjohn about the 14.3 JSB's as it seems a lot of guys are using them instead of the 15.8's that I bought. He said he loves his. Mine are shooting so good that I'm afraid to try the lighter ones but, everyone else seems to like them.Maybe someday if I find them cheap enough or I find some that I don't have to pay more for shipping than the pellets themselves, I'll give them a try.

Ron..the 15.8 gr JSB's will give you and edge in the wind over 14.3's...and more 'knock" down power...I've been using the 14.3's and now need to test the JSB 15.8's or AA 16 gr....Early morning's here are calm..but around mid-morning prevailing winds are 5-8 mph...so I'm going to favor the 15.8/16 gr pellets...I already set up a range card and wind drift card for the 14.3's out to 60 yards..although I hope to shoot a turkey within 40 yards...at least that is my plan...Here is my wind drift data card(inches) for the JSB 14.3 gr pellet...this took alot of work testing in field conditions and is for 90 degree winds...be interesting to see difference on the 15.8/16 gr pellets... There will be an improvement,although not a large one...Posted Image

#6 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Sorry Steve it has to be .20 caliber or larger.

Looks like a game worth checking out anyway. :-)Which Benjamin is the disco? is there a thread that shows all the start up costs for one of these? I'd need the bare minimum unless someone is looking to buy a 6mm benchrest gun. :-)

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

Steve, it's the Benjamin Discovery and there is quite a bit of information on them here in the airgun forum. I would recommend getting one from Tim McMurry of Mac1 airguns. He does a tune, barrel recrown, power adjuster and trigger work cheap. I would get the pump too since you don't have a scuba tank and fill adapter. I will have to find my receipt and figure out the exact cost but it was under $50 for the work and the gun minus pump how I bought mine was $250.

#8 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

+1 for Mac1 !!Mine shipped to Ohio from Mac1 was $353.00 for the Disco and the K Valve adapter.Gun was $250.00 + about $12.00 for shipping and a 3% credit card tax, If you need the K valve, Tim sold it to me for $75.00 and just put it in the box with the rifle.

#9 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thanks guys. it's a bit steep for me right now, but i have a Benjamin Legacy 1000 that has about 20 pellets through it. I pulled it out of the safe tonight because of this thread. I noticed Mac1 has some used rifles, i'll research the forum and see if any good ones are listed as used. :-)Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users