21 replies to this topic

#1 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hey guys,I have been looking at the .204 rugers and I looked at the Howa thumbhole varminter supreme, and I think it looks like a pretty well built gun, but I wanted some professional advice. What do you think of the Howa's? :blink: And the .204 in general for an all around varmint gun? (prarie dogs, squirels, coyotes... etc.)I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

the 204 is an excellent squirrel and p-dog gun, and will put a coyote down QUICK but isn't fur friendly, as I understand.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

I was looking at the Howa too, nice looking gun I saw one at the gun show for 650 thumbhole stock nice wood with a 12x50 scope in the 223 i should have bought it. 204 good round i dont own one but hog seems too like his..... :blink:

#4 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

I was looking at the Howa too, nice looking gun I saw one at the gun show for 650 thumbhole stock nice wood with a 12x50 scope in the 223 i should have bought it. 204 good round i dont own one but hog seems too like his..... :blink:

What did you think about the overall quality of the Howa? Did it seem pretty well put together?I wish you would have got that 223, so I could get a shooting report :o

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Got a howa in 223 Its a tac driver . they are good guns. 204 cool round. :blink:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

Isn't the Howa built on a Sako action?

#7 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:54 PM

Got a howa in 223 Its a tac driver . they are good guns. 204 cool round. :o

Thumper glad to hear it, sounds like you got a good gun there. Do you shoot any yotes with that? How flat does it shoot around 300-350 yrds? Are you pretty happy with the quality of the howas?I could be wrong here, but aren't the Howa's, sort of a branch off of the weatherby vanguard? :blink:

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Thumper glad to hear it, sounds like you got a good gun there. Do you shoot any yotes with that? How flat does it shoot around 300-350 yrds? Are you pretty happy with the quality of the howas?I could be wrong here, but aren't the Howa's, sort of a branch off of the weatherby vanguard? :blink:

Howa did/does build some barreled actions for Weatherbyhttp://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm

#9 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

I own two Howa's.One is a .22-250 SV in SS/Pepper, the other is a Thumbhole Sporter in .223.I am very pleased and well served with my Howa's and would buy another one when/if the need comes up.The machining, fit and finish is outstanding, though the Boyds stock did need a little sanding in the barrel channel as it was touching slightly.They have an owner adjustable trigger to boot.They ARE shooters.Happy Shopping!Kevin G.
Life Member: NRA, VHA, O.T.H.G. Member: CPC.I Do What The Voices In My Tackel Box Tell Me To Do . . .

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

Here's a nice looking Howa that comes in .204. Notice the carbon fiber barrel to keep the weight down?Posted ImageHere a link to it:http://www.legacyspo...ducts/index.htm

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Does barrel length matter?If you have a longer barrel does the bullet get more "push" or is all the powder burned up say with a 22" barrel? Would you get a better group if the barrel is say 24" or 26" even, does the barrel make that big of a difference with so little powder?

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

Does barrel length matter?

Size always matters! :lol:But a 26 inch would be the maximum needed for top speed. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#13 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Howa did/does build some barreled actions for Weatherbyhttp://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm

Thanks for the site smallblock, that is what i thought but interresting to read none the less. B)

Size always matters! :lol:But a 26 inch would be the maximum needed for top speed. :lol:

John, that is what i though, but i also heard that since you are only shooting a bullet with either 32 or 40 grains, that it would burn up in a shorter barrel and therefore not effect it as much?So you think that a longer barrel would be the way to go for the longer more accurate shots?

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

Not necessarily, because you won't loose that much speed but you will add to the weight with a longer barrel. If you're going to pack that gun around I'd want a lighter gun. That's why I posted that carbon fiber barreled Howa.

Time waits for no one--

#15 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

Not necessarily, because you won't loose that much speed but you will add to the weight with a longer barrel. If you're going to pack that gun around I'd want a lighter gun. That's why I posted that carbon fiber barreled Howa.

How much more does the carbon fiber barrel run?Would you notice any difference in the bullet flight of a shorter barrel? like when the bullet got out around 300+ yrds?

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

There is a link up above under the gun I posted so you'd have to check the prices with a dealer close to you they're on there too.I don't think you'd see a noticeable difference at 300 yards with a two inch shorter barrel. But most people don't shoot 300 yards either.

Time waits for no one--

#17 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

But most people don't shoot 300 yards either.

Good point, but it is always good to know you got the gun to reach out there if need be. B) :lol: I like the thumbhole varminter supreme with the 24" barrel, the best of both worlds.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I often shoot well over 300 yards at squirrels with a .223. So, it's just what you're comfortable with. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Mines a yote killer well some times :lol: most been in 200 or alot less but have taken jacks and rats way out there. have 24" heavy and cheap plastic stock.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#20 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

Mines a yote killer

Hey thump dunker, is the 204 easy on the fur?Do you load your own rounds?What bullets work the best for you? (best group)

#21 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hey thump dunker, is the 204 easy on the fur?Do you load your own rounds?What bullets work the best for you? (best group)

Not sure yet on yotes but on jacks and rats they go all over the place. using 39 gr blitsking over 26.5gr of h335. I think a soft points might be better for coyotes. never see yotes when I take the 204 out ;) or its un loaded and shells are in the truck :)

#22 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

never see yotes when I take the 204 out ;) or its un loaded and shells are in the truck :)

Sounds like a little bad luck ;) if i don't just go for yotes i tend to be stuck in the same kind of situation. :) Thanks for the input, i appreciate all i can gather!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users