19 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

I have been dying to know how your new Disco is shooting and what you thought of it? They are on back order @ Mac 1, but I have been waiting to hear your review..

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Well, I have been plinking with it but that's about it. I've found it to be an extremely accurate airgun. I'll try to post up a couple of targets later today. I haven't found anything about the gun that I dislike. Though it is a bit loud for backyard use, but no louder than my old Sheridan pumped up 10 times. The stock could be a bit longer but a slip on recoil pad could remedy that problem easily. I've had three different scopes on it and found that my mounts make them all shoot low. So I cut some soda can shims (three) and placed them under the rear rings and that has remedied that problem. I can't really think of anything I don't like about the gun. It is very lightweight and I ordered some Uncle Mikes detachable swivels to add to the gun for a rifle sling. The scope I've decided to use on the gun just happens to be on sale at MidwayUSA right now and is I believe the perfect scope for most airguns.http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005It's a Bushnell Legend Rifle Scope 5-15x 40mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte . You can't beat a mildot on an airgun they just make shooting distance so much easier. I think the job Tim at Mac1 does on prepping and tuning the gun are well worth the minuscule price he charges for that service. My next purchase will be a shroud from MountainAir and that should do it. This gun really doesn't use much air so a pump would handle that chore. But I have tanks so I'm lazy and use those. Nice gun very well made a very good shooter.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Sounds like a great shooter! Thank you for the review!! :signs1180lq: I'll get on the waiting list with Mac-1.. How much of a sound difference does a shroud make on these guns?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

One of our members here has one and state's 50% reduction in sound.

Time waits for no one--

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

When I first got my Disco from Tim at Mac 1 I could not wait to put some pellets through it so I went into my back yard and loaded a pellet and pulled the trigger. Bang! Oh #$%*! Run back into the house. So I ordered the Aluminum shroud from Mountain Air. Waited the longest two weeks and had it installed within 15 minutes of it being delivered. I don't have a meter for measuring the amount of actual sound reduction but I would say that it sounds about half as loud as it previously did and i can now enjoy plinking sessions in my backyard without worrying about freaking out the neighbors. On some recent rabbit hunts, on the rare occasions where we missed on the first shot, the bunnies didn't even flinch from the sound which allowed us to get them with the second.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

My AA and FX are quiet like that. If you miss and I rarely do. :roflmao3[1]: The animals just sit there for you to shoot again. If you don't hit them with debris from the pellet hitting in front of them they don't run. It makes for more kills in a day the quieter the gun.

Time waits for no one--

#7 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hey John,Would that scope hold up to a springer?

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

Yes they sell them for use on springers.

Time waits for no one--

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

Question: Could the shrouds from Maountain Air be considered a "silencer"? Is there an exclusion for airguns?

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

Question: Could the shrouds from Maountain Air be considered a "silencer"? Is there an exclusion for airguns?

Very fine line...if...the device reduces report by one decibel,and can be fit onto a firearm, you could be charged with a felony....not likely to happen,but it could be an issue...Good read here...http://www.pyramydai...cles/silencers/

#11 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Here is another read. I am not trying to stir the pot. I just want to know.http://www.beemans.n..._on_airguns.htm

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

That is a really great read It really makes you want to NOT put one on the air gun. Why take the chance. You may feel that the ATF has better things to do than to go after the little guy with an air gun, but as he says, do you want to be sitting across from the agents explaining why you own a "silencer" that will fit on your predator rifle? Not me, thank you very much.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

I missed this last night or I would have responded then.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) has jurisdiction over firearms ONLY. In fact, U.S. Code specifically prohibits any federal, state or local municipality from declaring an airgun to be a firearm. Not only do the federal firearms laws NOT apply to airguns, they CANNOT be applied by law!

I really don't know but you would think the government would prevent any of the shrouded barrel guns to be brought into the country or shipped via the United States Postal Service. I wish there was a more clear defining statement than above but there isn't. I don't believe these types of shrouds can be used on firearm because they aren't designed to do so. A firearm would destroy them in short order.

Time waits for no one--

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

John...the issue is the "silencer"...and by definition..it is a firearm.....look up the California codes...even in San Diego ,the municipal codes address silencers,sling shots,airguns,firearms etc..BUT silencers are regulated...Quote: IF you have an airgun silencer, and IF it can be removed and installed on a firearm, and IF it then quiets that firearm - that silencer meets the legal definition and is subject to the law. However, in the United States, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty, so it is also necessary to prove intent, as in you intended to use the silencer in your possession on a firearm. Therein lies the problem.

#15 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

went to the ATF web site and their FAQ.*******************(M30) Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms? [Back]The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See Questions M15 and 16 for application details.If I have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, who should I contact?Please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch. *********************************************Well, I suppose that ends my desire for a moderated/suppressed/silenced air gun. :signbummer8tl: ATF firearms FAQ link

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#16 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

OK, my decision is made. I will not attach any "devise" to mine. I would rather be safe than sorry. Besides, I think the distract from the looks of a gun. Just my opinion, of course.

#17 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

My decision came down to accuracy...The existing Disco barrel brake stabilizes the barrel...when you remove that and fit a "moderator",some Disco owners have experienced accuracy issues ...and have had to either move the barrel band forward or add one....but some have not had any issues...so it depends on velocity and barrel harmonics.....

#18 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

:signbummer8tl:

#19 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

This is looking at the barrel with the stock muzzle brake/front sight......it is radiused at top of air tube but not fixed...and allows minimal movement of barrel...when it is removed,the barrel can move more...you can see the barrel band below scope...Posted Image

#20 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

:signbummer8tl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users