7 replies to this topic

#1 Cut Throat

Cut Throat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

Well I shot a buck yesterday afternoon with my bow at 40 yards. I hit the buck right on the ribs.I found 1 drop of blood and my arrow with blood on the tip...about 8 inches. :signs1242cn: I didnt find a blood trail from where I found the arrow....any suggestions? oh and I found the arrow about 80 yards from where I shot the buck.What are the odds of the buck returning to the same spot if he was just injured? The buck didnt see me and I have seen 7 does in the area.Thanks for any info or advice...
Call me "Headshot".

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:55 AM

In my opinion your buck is dead somewhere. Maybe the arrow didn't pass through but 8" is still a considerable amount of penetration and more than enough to take out a lung or puncture the heart. Plus the buck ran 80 yards before the arrow fell out which would indicate to me that it wasn't just a surface wound. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the deer to start spitting up blood and we all know a buck can run more than 80 yards within a few seconds. They're tough animals that can still run a fair distance even with a major wound. The buck I got on monday ran 30 yards uphill after taking a 300 grain slug through both lungs and a shoulder! I'd get back out there and scour the area. Start on the uphill side and zig-zag your way back and forth while working your way downhill, covering every inch. Good luck!
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 Cut Throat

Cut Throat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks! I'll be out there again today. My dad and uncle tried looking for him yesterday, but nothing.
Call me "Headshot".

#4 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

I agree with Wes..some may run uphill after a shot if that was the best exit, but wounded animals will tend to go downhill in draws and especially if there's a ravine where water is nearby...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hey Cut Throat did you find anything?

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

:signbummer8tl: :pirashoot:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 Cut Throat

Cut Throat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

No, Im guessing I didnt hit any vital parts. :signbummer8tl: I'll be out again soon with my new bow and I'm going to use the bloody arrow. :aggressive:
Call me "Headshot".

#8 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:24 PM

deer head towards water when they're dying. losing that much blood really makes you thirsty. my buddies deer ran 2 miles before it died and it took a lung shot and part of the heart! we noticed its path was in route to the stream. two other deer shot by other bow hunter did the same thing just not as far as two miles. find yourself on your map and look for the nearest marked body of water!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users