• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Well, before my wife changed her mind I went ahead an ordered my Discovery. :) I talk to Tim at Mac1 for about 20 minutes and ordered the gun and a few things to make my airgun life easier. He happened to have a .22 in stock so he said he'd get right to it and get it out. I can't wait to get it and try it out. Since I have tanks I didn't need a pump but I bought a good number of Foster fittings to make filling my different guns easier.What scope mounts are you guys going with on this gun?

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

Congrat's on the new toy John! Let me know how you like it. I have been eye balling one of those for awhile but I hear they are pretty loud?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it Rick. :)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

I bought rings and a couple of new scopes to try too. Nothing like overkill on accessories. :)

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Tim suggested Center Point rings so that is what I got. They are medium profile. Supposed to handle up to 45MM scopes. I installed a 40MM.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

I ordered some center point rings but have the Beeman's as backup. Thank you.

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:04 AM

My mac 1 disco is amazing john it's loud yes but who care's for varmint control it's all i need I'm dropping ground squirrels with ease at 180 ft and possums and raccoons from 25 to 40 yrds i love it . And with the first frost close by i will be on the cottontails soon . I gave my first 22 disco to my bro {mac tuned } we share the pump and good times . Enjoy it john

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

John,The airgun dude at my local gun store keeps waving the Discovery (they only have the 22s) at me when I go in. I have been tearing up my back yard badly with the Beeman 22 but a PCP would be a nice addition to the collection. Humor my lack of knowledge on PCPs. Can you leave these things "pumped up" or is it bad for them or does the pressure slowly leak? In reading the reviews on Pyramyd folks generally seem to love the gun. A few mention the trigger pull being a little firm but light weight and great accuracy. It's seems hard to beat for the price. My wife is making me pay for new purchases since I have purchased 6 new guns and 4 scopes this year so I am selling some old RC stuff :-).Brant

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

Congrats John!! Hey, once you get it, could you do a comparison to your R9 goldfinger? I know they two different kind of animals, but those are the two I have been eyeballing. It will be a while before I would buy either one, but you are the only one I know of that will own both. :rolleyes:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Brant, you want to leave a PCP filled with air. Not only is is better for the seals but it keeps dust and dirt out when they are filled. As you can see more and more people are getting the Discovery's. I will give you a full run down when I get one in my hand. But I can already tell you they are amazing guns not just for the price because they are downright cheap to purchase. But because of their accuracy and power. Quieting one down shouldn't be a problem with a shroud and the reason I'll do that is it will give you additional shots at game without scaring them away. Though I doubt they are as loud as I have my mind set they are. They work at a lower pre-charged pressure than my other PCP airguns so maintaining a charge will be easier with less expensive scuba tank equipment or a hand pump. I hear the hand pumps are all metal now which would make them last longer. When mine comes I'll give you a total price from MAC1 for what the gun and tune cost. Tim works on tuning the trigger and does a barrel recrown along with a few other things. I really think the tune will be worth anything extra. A good trigger makes any gun shoot better. As for power I can tell Chris you can't beat a .22 Disco. The R9 Goldfinger is a different animal. They are fine shooters with superb triggers but can't compete power wise with a PCP and the Disco is cheaper. In the field you won't care about a little extra noise and you won't have to aquaint yourself with the reverse recoil of a springer like the R9. Until you get to the huge PCP's you have NO recoil. No recoil is GOOD! I hope that covered the questions but I will answer whatever I can about it when it arrives.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:10 AM

Thanks John. You mentioned the recoil issue with springers. I'm gonna ASSuME then that with the PCP's, the recoil is in the correct direction to use a STANDARD scope? If that is the case, when and if I get a PCP, I can use one of the scopes I already have. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

PCP's have NO recoil really. You can use any scope though I recommend one that focuses down pretty close. Most scopes people use on airguns focus down to 10 yards so that you can use them in your yard or in the house. I have some scopes that barely focus down to 30 yards and while fine on one of my high dollar PCP's used for hunting they can't be shot in the house.

#13 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:32 AM

SJohn,UPS website says my Disco is out for delivery!My oldest son goes to a school for the arts and is on the year round program. He is out of school for two weeks starting today and I told him to be listening for the doorbell.What I didn't tell him was I turned the doorbell volume up this morning so "hit the dirt" noise level so he won't be sleeping in until 3pm and miss the UPS guy.Ron

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

:) So you should get yours today! :)

#15 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

It was delivered at 1030 this morning. Except for picking up some remodeling supplies on the way home and changing my kids oil in her car,..I cancled all other plans so I can spend the evening setting up and shooting.I don't have the otis setup yet so i am going to use a coated wire setup I put together real quick to clean the bore.I'm going to start with the 10 yd indoor range and after, well the neigbors horses better not be behind my backstop. :peta:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Ron, you can use a piece of string trimmer line too as a pull through. I've used this approach before. Just melt one end of the line and cut the other end sharp to poke through a patch. You can then pull it through.Glad to hear it arrived. :peta:

#17 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

:peta: Congrat's! Please let us know how she shoots.. I have never waited this long to buy anything!! I'm an instant gratification type of guy!!! If I could pick up SJ's gun and drive it him just to get the range results... I WOULD!!

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

I just walked in the door and my Benjamin Discovery was sitting at the door waiting for me. I have to clean the barrel and I'll try and get a scope and mounts on it this evening after I get my chores done. My three new scopes won't be hear till Monday but I have a few that I can use. The problem is they don't focus down at far as I'd like.

#19 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, that was a long drive for me but your welcome! :peta:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

I guess Tim forgot to email me my tracking number or it was done the day I purchased it and he just shipped it right out. Thanks for delivering it Rick. :peta:

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

My local missouri gun store has the gun and pump for $348 (no scope). That seems a little less expensive than the mail orders. Is this a decent price?

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

I would buy one from MAC1 or MountainAir and have them tune it. I've heard some horror stories of Discoveries from mail order that don't shoot well. I just got mine today and it was $328 delievered but I didn't get a pump which I've heard Benjamin has now upgraded. Both of the places I mentioned recrown the barrel, and redo the trigger as well as install a power adjuster. The guns are fully tested and guaranteed. I've heard of a lot of people sending the plain store bought ones back.The one thing I'll say about the gun is it's short! I'll need to put a thicker butt plate on mine to be comfortable with it. I just got home and took it out of the box so I haven't cleaned or fired it. Tomorrow morning I'll get it outside.

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

I just looked over Mountain Airs site. What does the power adjuster do? I also have several Pure Energy 4500 psi paintball gun tanks and get free air fills which I would use if adaptable to fill rather than the pump. Is moisture an issue like it can be with the paintball guns?Thanks,Brant

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

The power adjuster adjusts you power output. It isn't a great amount of adjustment but it takes some of the power down if you want more shots.Your paintball tank won't work from what I understand. They can be filled to 4500psi but the valve in them only allows 800psi out which isn't enough to fill the gun.Yes you don't want moisture in the gun. The pumps have a small air filter for moisture.

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Here are a couple of quick pictures of the new Discovery. No rear sight and the scope I want to use on it hasn't arrived yet. So I stuck on this Nikon side focus BuckMaster 6-18 for now. Will shoot it tomorrow when I get some free time. Feels pretty good I think the scopes too high and the stock is too short but it's very easy to point and aims very instinctively. Plus this gun is really light. :signlol2iu: Attached File  DSC_0002.JPG   47.67KB   33 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0003.JPG   50.15KB   30 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users