#1 Savage

Savage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Shooting

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

I have a youth model Vanguard Weatherby and it came with a youth model wood stock that was painted black but the paint job and cut of the wood stock is not very good, it easily chips off and looks like garbage. The gun also came with a synthetic stock too and i was thinking about cutting that down to the same length as the wood stock because that is the length that fits the person who is shooting it. So my question is does anybody know if its possible to cut down a synthetic stock and be able to reattach a butt pad to it. Im not sure if the stock is solid or not and dont want to cut into it and find it hollow because i wont be able to screw the butt pad to the stock. Any ideas or replies would be awesome.although the stock looks like dog poop my girlfriend and i were able to sneak within 45 yards of a forked horn deer and she took her first deer this last saturday

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Congratulations to your girlfriend for taking her first deer! As far as a synthetic stock goes, most of them are hollow. Take the butt plate/pad off the end and use the backside of your knife and knock on the stock. If it has an empty sound-it's hollow. I took and cut into a Remington stock once and made it shorter for my wife. I just used epoxy to mount the new butt plate/pad on and she still uses it. You might have to sand down the butt plate/pad to make it fit or you could just buy one of those small sized slip on models and mount it over the stock. Good Luck with that stock and congratulations again to your girlfriend!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#3 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

As said above...most of the stocks are hollow. You would have to epoxy something inside there to catch the screws. Why not strip the wood stock, clean it up and give it some type of textures finish? It would be easy to trim the wood stock so that it was clean and you would still have the full size stock if you decide to sell the gun later.Good luck,David

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

I agree with StoneTower. If it were mine. I'd work on the wood stock, strip it, sand it to the shape you want, and then paint it. Easy and, as was said, you would still have the full size stock.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Forgot to mention the wood stock in my reply earlier. A tip I learned from an old wood worker-to prevent the wood from chipping, use a fast band saw and wrap the area you are cutting thru with masking tape (not duct tape) and cut thru the tape and wood. I've never done it before but I used to watch the guy cut all kinds of wood and he'd wrapped it with masking tape then cut thru it and it always looked really clean. Just something else you could try.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 Savage

Savage

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Shooting

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Well what type of paint should i use because i want a really reliable paint that wont chip to easily but i guess thats kind of impossible.

#7 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:15 AM

Good old WalMart Camo rattle can paint is awesome and if you get a scratch on it you can touch it up easily. You can chop the synthetic and fill it with foam insulation that is in aerosol cans. Just place anchors down in the foam to attach the butt pad. This is how I put mercury tubes in my shotgun!

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Wish I had a camera when I saw this guys rifle! He said he stripped (wood stock) it down to bare wood, roughed it up then used (from Wal-Mart) bed liner rubber coating to cover the whole stock. While it was drying, he threw dirt on it with a mixture of twigs and dried grass! I couldn't believe how awesome that rifle looked. The dirt, twigs and grass made it totally camo with just a shade of black coming thru. It was crazy looking! The guy says he will be experimenting with coating the barrel too but wasn't sure how it would affect bullet performance. Some of the other hunters just told him to go for it. I'd hate to set that thing down in the desert-you'd never find it again unless you had a metal detector!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users