5 replies to this topic

#1 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

Does anyone have any complaint about the Barnes tsx? Last week a buddy took a shot at a shot bear 50 60 yards, it got away with little blood to follow useing a 270 win. he said about 120 lbs.Yesterday another buddy took a couple of shot at he said was around 500 to 600 lbs brown bear with a 300 win mag 60 to 70 yard, track it for 2 hours and blood trail ended, he used the tsx also. They both blame the bullet but I said to them shot placement is mostly the reason. What do you guys/gals think, any complaint about tsx or what do you think the reason is?

#2 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

the TSX bullet is vicous on game, no doubt. I've seen 4 hogs killed with them, very effective. You're probably right about bullet placement. Was it an off hand shot (standing position), or from a rest, sticks, etc? Was the guy pumped up or calm?

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

I had one of the old straight sided 100gr xbt bullets from my 25-06 fail to open on a deer but I haven't had a problem with the newer tsx bullets.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

his first time seeing a bear and taking a shot at it, but there was really no rush place was wide open. I personally would have taken a head shot to make it clean and simple. There were pices of meat on the ground and on the trail so I think the bullet did its job but not the shooter

#5 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

The Triple Shock bullets are great bullets.That said all bullets can fail at times.I would however agree with you that it is most likely a poor shot or a poorly sighted in rifle (which is even worse)that accounted for the animal running off.I have seen pigs shot with the 130 grain TSX from a .270 and my deer 2 weeks ago today was shot with a 130 grain TSX from my .270. My deer went 30-35 yards. The pig fell over.There are a lot of great bullets out there. Most failures are shot placement.
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#6 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:08 AM

The velocity at the closer distances is still quite high. The higher velocity causes bullets to upset faster and more violently at these distances you mentioned, especially the 300Win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users