#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

This is the second squirrel this week I chose to hit in the shoulder instead of the head...reason is, both squirrels just presented a very low profile...but in both cases,they just went limp with no wiggle...just dropped and never moved...I'm thinking this is better than head shots,and most I've shot in the head always wiggled a bit...some even moved a couple of feet...then died...Any thoughts here on this...???Posted Image

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

I say if it's doing the trick then keep doin it. My guess is that your that your either taking out the heart right away or breaking the backbone which will keeps them from moving. It's not like your eating the things so by hitting them in the shoulder your not waisting any meat.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

Great shooting on the squirrel. I've found that chest shots present a slightly bigger target and allow the pellet some shock value. Like said previously if it's working keep doing it. :signtripledogdare2wf:

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

Good points...planing to stretch things out a bit,and get a squirrel at 60 yards...so mapping out shot strategy...already did some test shots at 70 yards...hoping to complete that on Monday and post a target or two...

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hey Crazyhorse,I forget, do you have a Mildot scope on your disco? I think I posted this in another discussion on the disco so pardon me if I'm being redundent but I like to paint the inside of my rear flip up cap on my scope white. Then I write all my hold overs etc. on the inside like a range card. It works out pretty sweet because I don't even have to pull my eye away from my scope to read all my ranges. On a different note, have you thought about getting a Turkey with your disco? Happy hunting this weekend can't wait to see your results.

#6 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Where in El Cajon do you shoot them at?

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yes I have a mil dot scope...I tape my data (holdovers) to my stock for quick reference..also carry a more detailed range card in my pocket which includes wind drift info...actually,I'm going out on Monday...This morning I went out,but wind was gusting 25-30 mph...A friend and I are going to try for turkey when season opens Nov 8...I have been out scouting some areas...and I will try the Disco...my friend is a bow hunter...

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Where in El Cajon do you shoot them at?

Hi Dave...At my friends horse ranch in Blosom Valley or out in Cleveland Nat'l Forest .....but just during the week mostly to avoid the powder burners..Been wanting to get on some jackrabbits,and they are in McCain Valley...Rich

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

Rich, I edited the location of your hunting spot so that 1,000 people don't meet you out there the next time you're out. Maybe you could PM Dave the location. Otherwise the Internet is not favorite spot friendly.

#10 Dave H

Dave H

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Been out to McCain valley millions of times, when I first started going there in the late 80's jacks were very thick but it looks like over the years something has thinned them out. I was there in the begining of the year and I only seen a couple. The ground squrirrels would make great targets posed on top of the rocks, I could burn a box of bullets sniping them.I like to go to the south side of pine valley but now it looks like they made it a motocross track so I'm looking for some new spots. One place is called sycamore canyon in dulzera, I might go there this weekend, we'll see.Never been to Descanso, what's it like?

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Mostly squirrels...only seen one cottontail in weeks of going there.......not a big area...and carttle graze there sometimes..if you are shooting rimfires,be careful there..Hear ya on McCain Valley....tough hunting jacks...Here is some info for you re Sycamore Canyon...http://www.blm.gov/c...anyon_3-07.htmlI'll PM directions re Cleveland..

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

Rich, I edited the location of your hunting spot so that 1,000 people don't meet you out there the next time you're out. Maybe you could PM Dave the location. Otherwise the Internet is not favorite spot friendly.

Gotcha...thanks...I PM'ed him my spot...not a good area for rimfires....

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hey Crazyhorse,I forget, do you have a Mildot scope on your disco? I think I posted this in another discussion on the disco so pardon me if I'm being redundent but I like to paint the inside of my rear flip up cap on my scope white. Then I write all my hold overs etc. on the inside like a range card. It works out pretty sweet because I don't even have to pull my eye away from my scope to read all my ranges. On a different note, have you thought about getting a Turkey with your disco? Happy hunting this weekend can't wait to see your results.

A friend went with me yesterday and I loaned him my Beeman R9 DG ,22 to shoot...(.he had never shot an air rifle before,but has many powder burners)...he was really impressed with the Discovery .22 and liked the Beeman......the wind was up at 25-30 mph gusting,so I did not do any target tests at 70 yards as planned....but did set up a plastic water bottle at 62 yards and put some holes in that with the Disco...I'll go back out Wed when winds die down and get the 70 yard target test done...my friend now wants to get an air rifle...LOL...We seen lots of Yote/Racoon sign near a pond....hmmmmmm...maybe a night shoot is in the works...new area btw...

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Everybody wants an airgun after shooting one. If you had one in your youth or weren't allowed to have one they are a kick. The NEW airguns of today really shine and quality shines even brighter. My uncle borrowed one of mine yesterday to take care of a few pesky squirrels that have invaded his yard. He was going to use his .22LR until I had him take a few shots with one of my guns at the target out back. He couldn't believe the accuracy or power of an airgun of today. He's almost 87 years old and a hunter from Arkansas. I may not be able to get the gun back now!

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

Heck John, that just gives you an excuse to buy another. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

It sure does! I wonder what I'll get next? I have a list I'm working from of guns they no longer produce. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#17 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

I prefer head shots, but will not hesitate to take a shoulder or chest shot if presented.

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

This morning very early,I got this rabbit with my recently tuned 850 Magnum CO2 (8) shot .177 cal....Shot was uphill thru my wire fence at top of hill in my backyard...26 yards...when then pellet hit him, he flipped up in the air...I hit him just forward and slightly above the shoulder...NO BLOOD...so he died instantly...I'm thinking these "shoulder" shots are better...I have shot other rabbits in the head with this rifle at shorter ranges and they always "wiggled" on the ground...Posted ImagePosted ImageSince the tune,this rifle now averages 810 FPS...(.factory stock is 760 max)Posted Image

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

I think you have something here Rich. I used to always go for the shoulder on rabbits with my airguns due to the longer ranges involved. Squirrels seem to have a battery backup to get them to their hole. Or with a head shot they sure seem to wiggle to unwind. I shot birds in the head to save tearing them up especially quail and pheasant. But that's been along time ago. I shot a turkey in the head and it just dropped.

#20 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

Yep...my experience recently on squirrels has convinced me...when I first started out nailing squirrels,i always took the head shots...but I had a few "runners" that made it back to thier burrows...but the last 3 squirrels I've hit in the shoulder area have dropped "limp"...DOA...lol...Speaking of turkeys,I may have an area that will be productive...seen a bunch of hens,a few jakes yesterday...but a friend cautioned me re mountain lion sightings by locals in that same area...he's seen several tracks and thinks since the wildfires last year, the mountain lions/coyotes have have moved in...This is what the area looks like...my friend lives on the reservation...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

That looks like a great area to hunt, I hope you get a turkey.I think you may be right about the fires and the bigger animals moving in. When the grass sprouts the smaller animals thrive but the predator animals come right in. The small animals have now cover and are easily taken.

#22 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

My "squirrel" spot is a good example...I have only seen one rabbit in several trips...but coyote sign is everywhere...Hey..I did something really stupid yesterday out scouting for turkeys...seen some,and jumped out of car with camera and left engine running...the wind slammed door shut and it locked...!!! So...there I am,out in the boonies,car locked,engine running and one mark on my cell signal strength...I got thru to AAA,but it took the guy two hours to find me...and he came from 14 miles away...:good:

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Rich, you're not supposed to tell us those stories! :doh[1]: But thanks for sharing. :doh[1]: :good: :roflmao3[1]:

#24 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

after many times i finally learned to tape an exrta key underneath my car , saved me quite a few times i might add

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users