1 reply to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

just for the experience? Yesterday I had my AA 410CRBSL out to sight in at 50 yards and that went great. I also had my AA 410ERBSL along. I'm going to be using it on prairie dogs next year and wanted to try the 21 grain Beeman Kodiaks in it at 75 yards. I had it pretty well sighted in when the wind started to pick up. I decided to take a lunch break and see if the wind would die back down. Forty five minutes later it was still blowing pretty good, so I decided to pretend that I was shooting in a prairie dog town. I watched the grass out by the target frame, and also paid attention to the wind on my face and arms back where I was shooting from. I didn't have any grass close to my firing point or I would have used it as a wind gauge also. The wind was blowing from a 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock direction, and then shifting to an 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, and back and forth. Anyway, the goal was to try and keep 10 shots in the kill zone of a prairie dog in a moderate wind at 75 yards. I run all my scopes at 8X.The target on the left was shot with just a breeze blowing in the area. The target on the right was shot in the wind, holding off a bit to the left or right trying to keep all the shots in the kill zone. It worked out pretty well, and was a lot of fun. The only way I know of to learn to shoot in the wind is to shoot in the wind. The Shoot-N-C targets are perfect for this kind of work. I think the Kodiaks will be the pellet of choice in the p. dog towns next year. Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

Great shooting. When we went to SD (5 years in a row back in the 90s) the wind was so significant a lot of time that we nearly always shifted positions to shoot with the wind direction.BRant

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users