8 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

It was a beautiful Fall day here in northern Arizona, so I loaded up the 410CRBSL and headed for the boonies. We've had our first snow fall on the San Francisco Peaks, and the Aspens have turned color.I set up my portable shooting stand and put the "prairie chuck" target out at 25 yards. It was a bit breezy, but not too bad. The first 5 shots are on the black dot at 3 o'clock. I was shooting the 14.3 grain JSB Express pellets. I made a small scope adjustment and fired five more on the black dot on the left at 9 o'clock. Next I moved the target frame out to 50 yards and fired 10 shots on the head. Not bad, but I felt it could be better, so I switched to the 16 grain JSB Exact Jumbos and fired 10 shots on the center bull. Now we're talking. I made another small scope adjustment and fired 5 more shots on the bull at 12 o'clock. Next I moved the target frame back into 25 yards and fired 5 more at the bottom bull. This gun really likes the 16 grain JSB's.The Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C targets are great, especially at 75 yards on out. I can't see the pellet holes in a normal paper target at those distances. They also give you realtime feed back as to whether any given shot hit the kill zone on that particular critter. Since I mostly hunt ground squirrels and prairie dogs, this particular target is great for instant feedback for hits or misses on those critters.This Air Arms carbine is a sweet shooter. I can hardly wait to take her after the ground squirrels next year, and no, she's not for sale.A few pics.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Good Looking rifle Cliff!...and beautiful country too

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Great shooting. It sure is fun, huh? When I make my first million.... I will still go and shoot most days. I love it. You always feel you can do better. That what keeps us going back, and back, and back.

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Good Looking rifle Cliff!...and beautiful country too

Thanks Ron. Fall in the mountains here is just stunning. My little point and shoot digital camera just doesn't do it justice.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

Great shooting. It sure is fun, huh? When I make my first million.... I will still go and shoot most days. I love it. You always feel you can do better. That what keeps us going back, and back, and back.

It really is fun. I enjoy the finesse aspect of airgunning. It's all about shot placement because there isn't enough power to blow chunks off of anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that. One of the side benefits of airgunning is..................it's so quiet, and my ears really appreciate that.

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

Great shooting, Cliff. Beautiful rifle and beautiful counry.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,472 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

Really nice Cliff! I want another air rifle what do I get next? Nice pictures too.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

Great shooting, Cliff. Beautiful rifle and beautiful counry.

The carbine is the perfect walk around hunting rifle. Kind of like the Discovery. The country is exceptional, especially after living in the L.A. area for over 40 years.

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Really nice Cliff! I want another air rifle what do I get next? Nice pictures too.

I tell you what. They have been discontinued, but if you can find a nice clean FX Tarantula with the grade three, or grade four, Turkish Walnut stock, grab it. They are lefty friendly, and are dead nuts accurate. It's an 8 shot bolt action and looks like my RWS Rapier, only it's an 8 shot instead of a two shooter. I get 32 shots out of a fill. Oh, I forgot to mention, this is a grade three stock. The grade fours are even nicer but more difficult to find. I bought this gun last spring for $600.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users