#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hiked into Cleveland Nat'l Forrest this morning....Got a squirrel off top of fence post...47.5 yards..(Nikon Rangefinder). This is my longest shot on a squirrel to date.......MAC 1 Discovery .22 JSB Jumbo Express 14.3 gr...I tried out an old camera tripod that colapses to 15"...can use this prone,sitting/kneeling and standing..very stable and light weight...works better than my sniper sticks..Posted ImagePosted ImageExit wound...Posted ImageEntry wound..Posted ImageHe was sitting on top of tall fence post...and fell limp to ground..Posted ImageThis rifle is shooting great...very accurrate...I'm going to try for a 60 yard shot on a squirrel next trip...(just taking my time working up)....My new Rangefinder has made things eaiser...

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:06 PM

Nice shooting!

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

Way to go!

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Good shot. Both the range finder and shooting sticks are a big help.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thanks guys...what surprised me was the way he fell...just limp...all the other squirrels I have shot wiggled around a bit...think difference being I was shooting .22 cal vs .177 cal .....At any rate,the Disco has the power plus some to spare...that much I learned today.... :roflmao3[1]:

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:58 AM

I would have to agree with you that the Disco in .22cal is the only way to go. I know the rabbits I shot recently with mine all dropped like stones and didn't have chance to crawl away. By the way, have you got the moderator for the muzzle yet?

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

Nice clean shot. Adding a laser rangefinder and a bipod, or in your case a tripod, is the only way to go. The Discovery is amazing. Crosman has a real winner on their hands.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

I would have to agree with you that the Disco in .22cal is the only way to go. I know the rabbits I shot recently with mine all dropped like stones and didn't have chance to crawl away. By the way, have you got the moderator for the muzzle yet?

I'm holding off getting one...what I have noticed hunting here is the "noise" factor has not been a big deal.....in fact when I shoot a squirrel,the the others just sit there, or retreat but come back out after 15-20 minutes...I've been shooting from "cover" lately taking longer shots..I'll be hunting jackrabbits again soon,and they are spread out...so don't think noise will be an issue...at my friends ranch,I was getting 2-3 cottontails each morning...not so anymore as I've thinned them out...so now I'll just concentrate on jacks & squirrels in other areas....and jacks will be a particular challenge more so than cottontails and squirrels...Also, I've since learned that the stock muzzle brake is key to the Disco's accuracy....it helps stabilize the end of the barrel at the air tube......fitting a long moderator will let the barrel "wander" to much...and I don't want to get into adding another barrel band to compensate..that,IMO,will open a can of worms....Rich

#9 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

What type of bag is that on the tripod? I could use something like that.

Posted Image

#10 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

RichI did not notice a change in accuracy when I mounted a moderator on my disco. At the range it was still putting 5 shots inside the diameter of a dime at 50 yards. Although the disco isn't incredibly loud, the moderator knocks it down to the point where out in the field I'm hearing the "Ping" of the trigger spring more than the report of the shot. On a different note I dug out a small compressed air cylinder that I use to use for paintball and I'm going to get it rigged up so I can top off my disco in the field. I'm guessing I'll get at least 3 top offs or about another 90+ shots with the disco. I have some vacation time coming up next week so I'm hoping to get out with the disco and get some more bunnies and maybe a pig (not with the disco). Mc

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

Some guys who fit moderators are adding another barrel band near muzzle...some are just moving the existing one...but sounds like yours is working out real good....that is a good group...The tank is a good idea...I'm thinking of getting the Benjamin Tank/reg...it will fit in my day pack...5-7 fills...Good luck and have a blast hunting those wabbits...and the pig...I tried pig hunting back in the 70's near Monterey...problem was a drought and all we seen was some old sign...

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

What type of bag is that on the tripod? I could use something like that.

Sorry I missed your post the other day....it is a Caldwell bag...designed for just about anything like windows, posts, rocks...I've even used it on barbed wire...lol....it has two shoe laces for securing if needed...that's how I lashed it to my tripod...very handy...Link...http://www.explorepr...-rifle-rest.htm

#13 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Nice shooting :signlol2iu:

#14 Browning Goddess

Browning Goddess

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Nice idea using the camera pod as a shooting stick. Need to remember that next time we are out. We always use the hood of the truck or a fence post as many of them are way out in the pasture.
Live, Love, and Hunt

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

Shooting off of the hood of a vehicle is a NO NO in California. You technically can't have a loaded gun touching a vehicle.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#16 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Good Shooting!I am looking into some kind of shooting platform too. I am absolutely horrible shooting offhand, I spent way too many years benchrest shooting centerfires and haven't shot offhand in ages.I'm thinking about the Stoney Point collapsable bipod that ranges from 22" to 60". ..something I can carry in a daypack and can shoot from sitting or standing.Ron

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

I use a Stoney Point and they sure are nice.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

Nice job on that grey i found that the shoulder shot drops them cold the disco is solid at 50 yrd's but i did get a loud one as mine scares game to some extent . I also use my camera tripod when i sit on spots out of my jeep or in an open field , but here in long island our greys jump from tree to tree and move quick when spooked on the ground i will always work my way to a tree to steady myself or i will no doubt miss .good shooting thanks for the pic's looks like a nice set up

#19 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

:signs1180lq:

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Nice shooting but wheres the graphic part ? was the drop of blood it?? Those disco air gun are nice how much do they run.

#21 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

I think "dead" is graphic..lolGot mine from MAC 1 with Tim's tune. I'd call for quote...his price including tune is very reasonable...Mac1 Airguns13974 Van Ness Ave. Gardena, Ca. 90249PHONE 310-327-3581 FAX 310-327-0238

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users