20 replies to this topic

#1 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

So in my never ending quest to figure out which scope to get next I have another question. Do any of you use mil dot scopes on you rigs for coyote? Do they help or is it a cool factor? Thanks again everyone.

#2 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

I use one and like it alot. However that said you still need to know your ranges and bullet drop for your rifle. If you do go that route I suggest a good range finder and lots of practice.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#3 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Well I'm part way there. I have a Leupold range finder.

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

For calling coyotes?.....would be of little use.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#5 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

Yeah.....he's right (again). I got the LRD for my 22-250 and I did use it a couple of times last year but face it. We're callers and the idea is to get them close. Last year I took a couple of shots I ordinarily wouldn't have attempted but did. One turned out good the other not so good. I used the LRD but in all honesty a standard duplex crosshair would've yielded the same results. I will also admit I got the crosshair simply because it looked cool. So sue me.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

If you are a long range shooter the Mildot works great but I much prefer something like the Burris "Varminter" reticle because it covers less of the target at long range.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I shoot a leupold dot. For me it works well. I guess i shot peep sights too many years and need something to center my eye. I would think that for a coyote rifle you dont have time to range and elevate to the correct dot. I like to put it on them and touch er off and see what happens. :roflmao3[1]:

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Here is a helpful hint. Don't show anyone where you hunt. If the coyotes are giving you enough time to range find their distance and calculate drop, everyone will want to hunt there. Mine don't give me but a second or two at the most to show off your stuff. Bang.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Mil Dot for yotes - no.that's just not what the Mil Dot is for. Maybe a ballistic plex. But probably just keep it simple is better.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

I second that motion. I use a thin duplex reticle for yotes. I should really get a better scope....I have an unexpensive Simmons 3-9X40, but it works so great I have no reaso to change it. I beleve I paid less than $100.00 for it.

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

I love my mildot for yotes. Just put that big black spot right behind the shoulder. one dot high at 300 a coyote is about 18 or so high sitting thats the space of my dots at 300 yds ect once you get used to it and know how they work they are great. But 99% of the time you do not need one . I just like that big black dot. :roflmao3[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#12 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

I also have a mildot, but its only because I didn't want to mount anything else on my AR15. I dont have one on any of my other rifles but since this is my first AR I wanted to go all out and make it as much military as possible. The coyote I took down was on the run coming at me and there was no compensation involved or needed whatsoever, just lined it up and dropped him. So again for me its just wanting one, not so much needing one.
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#13 pistolpete75

pistolpete75

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Precision rifle shooting, Family, Eatting Out, Friends.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Mildots are the way to go.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

If I remember to drag my range finder along I will range prominent land marks before I begin calling. If I can remember those readings it gives me a better educated guess at range when something shows up.

#15 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

If I can remember those readings it gives me a better educated guess at range when something shows up.

Then right before you shoot it moves again to another spot...now was that tree 280 or 320yd??lolBuy a flat shooting rifle instead. Aim on coyote out to any realistic range...possibly add a little windage...squeeze trigger.I'm guilty of day dreaming myself. I'll sit behind the keyboard reading peoples stories of 300-400yd shots and think of all kinds of little gimmicks that might come in handy for making these tough shots...add that touch of wind that is usually blowing into the mix and maybe dragging out the Kestrel along with the Leica might be a good idea. Also, maybe that coyote shows up on a hill...or down in a valley, now we have a slight angle to deal with...damn gravity! It just threw off my mil-dots lol.It aint that complicated lol.IMO Mil-dots are nice for known yardages and angles...that dont move. Prairie dog towns, ground squirrels etc. Maybe even stalking coyotes or fox. But for calling coyotes, when the vast majority of shots will never be over 200yd they just aint needed. A flat shooting rifle is much more effective. JMO.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#16 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

put the first shot on the coyote and let er fly. If it too far for that type of shot keep tooting on the call. If a coyote hangs up at say 400 yars, He usually isnt going to give you enough needed time to range him ,set up and shoot. A properly sighted in 22-250 /243 swift etc.. will hit a coyote with the crosshairs touching the top of his back at that range and still only be 1-1/2 high @ 100.

#17 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

I always carry a scientific calculator on my stands. It's so much faster than the old slide rule. But you have to make sure the batteries are in good shape or you might make a mistake causing a miss. Shooting called coyotes really IS rocket science.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#18 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Just bought a new laptop for more accurate calculations. I haven't been able to locate the best program for coyote shooting calcs. Does anyone here have any suggestions? :) db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#19 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I am pro mildot. The reason is that I only have one rifle. It pulls varmint duty, deer duty, target range duty and any other duty that I see fit until I can afford a second gun. for this reason a mildot gives me choices I would not have with out one. Will I always need or use it , no. but when I want/need to it is nice to have.

#20 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

I have one but I don't use it as intended. I use the dots just are reference points to figure my Kentucky windage. Frankly, I don't have time when coyote is coming to measure the coyote and figure out the distance from the chart.

#21 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

I have some issues with Mil dot scopes. It's really really hard to find a good one for less then a grand and in most cases for a really good one your going to spend over 2 grand. I have a few reasons. To me a really Good Mil dot scope has the fallowing features ....Unless you have a Fixed power scope you probably want a Front Focal Reticle. FF keeps the scale on the reticle so if you are at 3x 1 mill is 1 mill if you zoom out to 10x 1 mill is still 1 mill. you will notice as you zoom out your reticle gets bigger. This allows you to use your reticle at any zoom level. If you have a Rear Focal reticle you need to put it back at the minimum zoom to use it for measurements or hold over.You typically want to keep your measurement standards the same. If you have a metric reticle you want your turrets to have metric adjustments If you Have a English standard reticle (MOA) you want your Turrets to have English Standard adjustments ( 1/2 Moa 1/4 Moa ect.) You can Use mil Dot reticle with MAO adjustments, if your strictlygoing to sight it in and use the reticle itself for windage and hold over shooting. Otherwise the math will make your Head hurt. Nice thing using everything in Metric ... everything is based on 10s and is dividable by 10s. It Keeps the math simple and easier to do BOTH in your head and on software/CALC. This is also a personal preference. Make sure you take the time to make cheat sheets for both your ammo and the game you intend to hunt (range finding you do the math based of the adverage hight of the game at shoulder and head level).Unfortunately not many scope manufacturers make scopes like this (Front Focal/Mil x Mil). A few are Premium Reticles, Schmidt and Bender, US Optics to name a few. Nearly All are in the $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 price range.If you get a mil dot scope learn how to use it. Otherwise your waisting your money and probably would be better off with a simpler reticle like the one a burris scope has.Some one on these boards that knows probably allot more then me about this is DesertFox.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users