7 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

This clip is from July's prairie dog shoot in Wyoming. In the dog towns, it's not a question of if it's going to be windy, but just how windy will it be. This guy is out there at 62 yards, and the wind is coming from right to left. Watch how quickly the dust that blows off of him at pellet impact, dissipates in the wind. A dog town is a great place to hone your wind doping skills. Out at 80 yards, I was holding as much as two mildots into the wind on some shots.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2You Tube Version: Attached File  1.jpg   29.05KB   9 downloads

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

Knocked the dust off of him. Mildot's are good yes they are. :yikes[1]:

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

Knocked the dust off of him. Mildot's are good yes they are. :yikes[1]:

Three things are must have accessories for airgunning in a dog town, or going after ground squirrels for that matter. First is a good laser range finder, second is a scope with mildots, and third is a Stoney Point bipod to shoot from. Add in a good accurate air rifle, some ability to dope the wind, and you are in for one of the most fun shoots anyone can ever ask for. :yikes[1]:

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

Great "wind" shot...!!I just bought a Nikon ProStaff 550 rangefinder...very handy and much quicker than "mil doting" squirrels...I've been using sniper sticks kneeling as most of the time there are no trees to lean against...just brush,and boulders..Posted Image1/2 yard increments to 99 yards....very clear image....(my mil dot "mapping card" is in background...)

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

Great "wind" shot...!!I just bought a Nikon ProStaff 550 rangefinder...very handy and much quicker than "mil doting" squirrels...I've been using sniper sticks kneeling as most of the time there are no trees to lean against...just brush,and boulders..

Laser rangefinders are great. No trees in the dog towns either. I shoot standing. With my knees, if I kneel down, I'll have every prairie dog within 200 yards busting a gut watching me trying to get back up. :yikes[1]: :yikes[1]: :popcorn:

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

With the way you shoot, they would all be laughing except the one you just shot at. :yikes[1]: db

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

Cliff I can't get on my knees either. Besides if I tried just sitting down all of the creaking and cracking would scare everything away. :yikes[1]:

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

I LOVE MIL DOTS!I have Mil dot scopes on all of my air rifles, my Ruger 10/22, and my Remington 700 PSS. What I like to do is paint the inside of the rear flip up cap on the scope white and write down my mil dot hold-overs/unders on it for various ranges. All I do is laser range with my Leupold binos, check the flip up cap for the appropriate dot and fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users