• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hey there all - I have been searching far and wide for the right California quail call. I am looking for the cylinder wooden ones with metal caps on the ends. They are close to the size of a tootsie roll. I have seen a bunch of other ones made of plastic but these are great. If anyone has any insight as to what these are or who makes them it would be a great stocking stuffer for all the hunters in the family. We have ALL lost them. They don't have an attachment for a lanyard so they can roll out of your pocket when you bend over to pick up birds. If not what quail calls do you use and would you recommend them.Thanks,Bear
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

I bet you could make one Bear. I used to have one. It's just a rubber band strung between the two wooden pieces with a gap big enough to blow through. The metal caps on mine and my brothers would come off sometimes and we would have to put it back together. The rubber part broke once and I think he put a rubber band in to fix it.Otherwise, I haven't seen one like the ones you described in years and can't remember who made it.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

I have my dad's old one. I'll check out the name and any details when I get home. Though, I think the one I have has no identifying marks on it.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think the one you are thinking of is the Lohman Quail Call Model 115W I've had the same call for almost 50 years and they haven't changed much. The bands on the ends of mine are aluminum silver colored. Here is a picture to see if this it what you are talking about.http://www.sportsman...03499/cat101124

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

here's one too.quail call
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Lohman Quail Call Model 115W I've had the same call for almost 50 years and they haven't changed much. The bands on the ends of mine are aluminum silver colored. Here is a picture to see if this it what you are talking about.

That's the one, and mine is like John's, with the raw aluminum colored end caps. Mine is also about 50 years old.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thats it!! Thanks everyone. You just made a bunch of happy hunters. The fields are going to be noisy the day after Christmas! Now I just have to figure out a lanyard.
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

I just used green cord and tied it to the two groves on either end of the call. It hangs well around my neck. But you could use any sort of duck lanyard. Or have one of the call makers on here sell you one.

Time waits for no one--

#9 Nalgi

Nalgi

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

And I added a whistle to the cord also. Dont forget to say "Chicago" when you call!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

My old instructions said to say Chiquita, like the bananas. I'm sure Chicago works too.

Time waits for no one--

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

They work ! for california stuff its CHE GA GO - CHE GA GO or WHERE ARE YOU. They aswer back with CHA CHA - CHA CHA. Those calls are good for wood pecker sounds also. Cha Qui Ta works also.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

For a lanyard, we always tied string to a couple of o-rings that fit into notches on the ends of the call. Been working great for many, many years. And it's cheap and easy.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

When I get some time in the garage I will try turning a few quail calls and incorporate a lanyard grove on one end. I'll let you guys know if it works.

#14 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Juan Galindo- Last Light Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

or you can just save the 5 bucks and whisle at them,ive been do that since i was nine years old and killed tons of quail. but thats just my opinion. lol i even whisle at turkeys too and that gets them fired up as well.

#15 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

When they arrive I am going to try the o-ring trick and if not I will find a lanyard from someone on here. The o-rings is a great idea Bisley - thanks for sharing!Ever since losing mine I have quit calling. Typically I will hear them pretty quickly after hiking around. It helps out in the desert (where most of my family hunts) when we are covering lots of ground and calling from the truck. I like to walk a way more than my family and prefer the oak woodlands in my area which have been great this year. I might not even keep one. Ha. Thanks again all!

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

Any time. You gotta love ideas that are simple, cheap, and above all, work great. Good luck, and happy hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users