• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

In case you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like when your Ford 8.8 rear end decides it wants to be a pair of 4.4's instead.Posted ImagePosted ImageWe started hearing what I thought was tire noise about 5 months ago, IT WASN"T! Did not sound like any rear end howling any of us ever heard before. Very strange sound. Never gave any other notice either until I made a turn the other day and it sounded like a hammer hitting the axle housing. Opened it up and found metal shavings everywhere, looked liked glitter, and more of it than you could find on a stripper (so I've heard). Total damage is a ring and pinion set, complete differential, passenger side axle, and bearings and seals. My uncle (electrician) always told me "Fuses don't blow for no reason". Well, I should have listened closer, vehicles don't make weird noises for no reason either! I put this up here so nobody makes the same mistake I did. If it don't sound right, check it really well. Just glad it didn't go out on my round trip to Colorado this last winter.

#2 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:49 AM

Ouch! How does the differential housing look?
Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. Why you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten.

#3 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

Ouch, I hope you can fix that, without it setting you back to much.Lee

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

I used to do that to my old Pick Up all the time when I was younger. Found it was cheeper to go and just get another whole rear end from a wrecking yard and install it my self than it was to buy all the parts and set it up right. Finally ended up putting a 1 ton front and rear end in my half ton pick up. Has not had a problem for over 15 years now.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Tire noise! ;) I'll bet you will remember that sound from now on. More like bearing noise. :good: Been there and done that. The sound you hear before it does the Cha-chunk! Cha-chunk! Cha Cha.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Tire noise! ;) I'll bet you will remember that sound from now on. More like bearing noise. :good: Been there and done that. The sound you hear before it does the Cha-chunk! Cha-chunk! Cha Cha.

I know it sounds silly, but the noise was actually being projected to the front of the truck. And I had just recently changed tires when the noise started. Should have known better though since the tires didn't appear to being wearing any worse than a typical Ford half @^$ alignment (one thing they have never seemed to correct). Ordered parts Saturday night and got them in this afternoon, thanks Summit. Now comes the real fun. Housing looks fine, just lots of cleaning with a ton of metal debris. I considered a used rear end swap, but I've got time on my hands at the moment, plus, at lest now I know what's in there (my mess!) Here goes nothing. I foresee lots of Aspirin and lots of alcohol.The real pisser......... I will now have a new rifle sitting in the rear of my truck (about $700) that I can never fire!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Haul the rear end down to your local $.25 car wash (do they still cost $.25?) and clean out the housing that way. Then just let it dry out and you are good to go.

Time waits for no one--

#8 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

Tire noise! :sport037fn4: I'll bet you will remember that sound from now on. More like bearing noise. :rolleyes: Been there and done that. The sound you hear before it does the Cha-chunk! Cha-chunk! Cha Cha.

Now its going CHA CHING $$$$$$ CHA CHING $$$$$$ :good: :signlol2iu: I'm Not laughing at ya... I am laughing with ya... I think!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

:sport037fn4: :signlol2iu: Me too.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

you guys are funny ..Make sure those parts are put in right they will have to be shimmed just right.your better off taking to a rear end shop.

#11 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:01 AM

Try my quick fix - Just turn up the radio! Annoying noise -- GONE

#12 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

I do that for when the wife is with me...... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Try my quick fix - Just turn up the radio! Annoying noise -- GONE

I tried that, but the only two songs that would play were Money by Pink Floyd and I'm Busted by Ray Charles!!! :( Got it put together and running today. Smooth, quiet, and no leaks. If anyone is debating about doing their own in the future, do it! Like anything else, not rocket science. If you have a little bit of mechanical skills, a micrometer, a run-out gauge, and 1/2 a brain (luckily between my dad, my cousin, and myself we mustered up 5/8 a brain combined) you can do it. Fyrewil, I knew the CHA CHING $$$$$$ sound went off when I could barely make it from the curb to the driveway. The dogs went running and some of the neighbors came outside because the gears were self destructing and they told me it sounded like gun shots from inside their house! :( Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

What type of front end is in it? Twin I-beam? I worked as a front end mech among other things for a shop and I set up mine and it was still good after 12 years when I sold the truck. Never did wear the tires wrong. It was a 2 wheel drive. I put the poly bushings in my 79 4WD and set it up and it was good for 18 years and 547,000 miles. I did have to replace the strut bushings once(they cracked) and the stablizer arm bushing due to just worn out. I also had to replace the drag link once but that did not effect the alignment. A good shop can fix that for you.

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

It is an independent A-arm with coil springs and tension bars. I replaced the driver side upper A-arm last year. Tried to get the lower ball joint out (press fit), wasn't happening. Used a clamp style press, heat, and a sledge hammer and still could not get that bastard child, demon seeded ball joint out. Ran out of time and patience and didn't want to screw with the torsion bars, so I left it. Good news is that it tracks really well now anyways. I love that twin I-Beam setup. Solid and damn near bullet proof. I have always heard rumors about Ford factory alignments, but never put much stock in it. However, most Ford owners I know usually have to get their vehicles aligned, even the new ones. There may be a little rumor to that truth after all.

#16 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Show us how big the tires are on this rig

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Nothing too outrageous on the old girl. Tires are just 285-75-16's. Enough to still clear everything (including suspension) but also put a little extra rubber on the ground. All my vehicles stay almost completely stock. You just ask for troubles changing things drastically. Besides, I only have one vehicle, and she's my daily driver. If it takes more oomph than her to get me there I shouldn't be going there with a daily driver anyway. My father also instilled a thought into my head. He had an old Land Cruiser that never had anything bigger than 33's or 35's on it. He always said that "Big tires don't make you a better driver or get you there any better, learning to be better off-road driver does that". Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users